Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sump/Refugium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sump/Refugium
    Posted: April 23 2003 at 7:07am
I am thinking of taking the dive into the refugium world.  However, with present limitations with my pos sump I would need to replace it.  Also, I would have a pretty difficult time adding a refugium seperate from my sump because of space size and it would have to go in the basement below the tank.  So I guess what I am thinking is replacing my sump/wet dry system with a sump/refugium.  Wondering the best way to do this and the most cost effective.  I would need to seperate(with baffles?) the refugium from the sump being I want to keep my skimmer in the sump.  Offer up any suggestions or ideas!  Thanks!
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 7:46am
I designed mine after the ecosystem filter using an old 30g tank and love it.  I looked at the ones at Bird World to get my design. I have my skimmer in the front section which over flows to a wet/dry area with bioballs then goes to the refugium then thru a section to place carbon or other media then to the last section that has the pump.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Flaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 8:04am

If you have access to a good table-saw building a sump from acrylic is pretty straight forward.  I built mine for about $60.  This would allow you to custom size it to you stand, pumps, and skimmer.  Even simpler though, is to use a glass tank and partition it as KeoDog described...

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 8:17am
KeoDog - How did you partition it off?  Are you doing any type of refugium in it?  Also, being a glass tank how did you get your return back to the tank?
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 8:52am

I went to Regional Plastics and had them cut me some 1/4" plexiglass partitions that I siliconed in. I was going to cut them myself but they only charged $5 to make all the cuts.   The first section almost goes to the top of the tank. This is where my skimmer and heaters are. The next section is made of 2 pieces with the water flow going between them to the refugiim. The refugium is about 6" deep with 1.5" substrate and macros.  The final section has a submersible pump in it for the return. You are welcome to come by and look at it if you want.  Just give me a call at 594-2132 durring the day or 816-9359 evenings.  I live in Sandy.

Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 9:22am
If I go with a glass tank I will need to go with a submersible pump for a return.  I have been checking out mag drives, but to be honest not sure what I need?  What do I need to consider when looking for a return pump?  Not sure what gph I really need?  I presently have an Iwaki external - can't remember its gph - will check out tonight.  Thanks!
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 12:49pm

Size of pump needed is determined by how often you want to turn your water over and how much water your overflow system can handle.  What size is your tank?  You can have a glass tank drilled if you want to use an external pump or make your sump out of acrylic like Flaz suggested. Here are some of the best places I've found for Mag pumps.

http://www.aquatictech.com/pumps.html

http://www.petsolutions.com/cgi-bin/cgicatls?l=42

http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?inSupplier=Supreme+Mag+Drive&inUID=1051124335.1051124335

Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 12:55pm
My tank is 150 gal. - I'm thinking I would rather go with the glass tank and just use a mag pump.  Flaz's is probably better looking, but I just don't know if I'd ever get it done with building it out of acrylic myself.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 2:31pm

rfoote,  why change pumps?  Glass or plastic can be drilled.  I just don't see a need to buy a new pump.  Those Iwakis are nice pumps.

The easiest method is to do what keodog suggested.  Buy a glass aquarium that will fit under your sump and still big enough to do what you want.  Get it drilled for return pump(s).  Silicone in glass or plastic baffles.

A better approach, imo, is to go plexiglass.  It can be made to any size you desire.  It's easy to work with and probably cheaper then glass, if diy.  I'd be more than willing to help you in this endeavor.  I've got all the tools needed and I wouldn't mind building someone elses sump before I build mine .

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 2:53pm
So I would be your guniea pig aye?  Thanks!  I'm gonna run around tonight and check out some setups and so on and I'll let you know.  I kind of like the custom acrylic idea though.  I wouldn't mind keeping the external pump - just worries me sometimes how hot it gets.  Is that normal?  With glass being drilled is it generally pretty safe from leaks?  My wife is going to kill me if I have anymore spills!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 3:18pm

Kind of a guniea pig, I've built skimmers before, just never built a sump.  I don't think it would be that much different though.

The pumps do get hot, usually nothing to worry about.  Now imagine that pump in your sump...you might not need a heater!

Glass sumps with bulkheads won't leak any more/less then acrylic ones.  Usually it's the plumbing that leaks.  Speaking of wifes, no matter how sneaky I am, she always seems to catch me when I have a towel in my hand.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 3:24pm
I was just joking about the guniea pig deal!  I barely need a heater as it is right now.  Space is always an issue with my setup unfortunately.  I will do many things differently the next go around.    That is the only thing my wife hates about the tank, other than I spend more time with it than I do her, other than I spend more $ on it than I do her.  JJ - She is actually pretty good about it!  Thanks for the offer - I may just take you up on it!  I'm sure both of our wives would appreciate it!  Hehehe!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 9:31pm
Jon - I tried responding to your pm - but says you have reached your max.  I'll give you a call tomorrow.  Here are some ideas I have - My rough dimensions I can go are 34" long 14" deep and rougly 12" high.  I could go a little higher it will just make it rougher to work with.  Actually 14" high would probably be ok.  I'm thinking something like this;  Anyone else chime in with thoughts and so on.  Water in from overflow to sump through two baffles(first notched thru the bottom and second baffle overflows to the top into refugium area).  From what I understand this should decrease bubbling.  Then refugium area which goes into either one or two compartments - 1st would have skimmer overflowing into another with return.  I am thinking because of space I might then have a final small area for a submersible pump as my return.  What do you think?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 7:00am

Sump size - actually thinking about it I could really go about 10" longer if I did go with a in sump pump.  I figure this would be a good idea to increase my refugium size.

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 7:59am
I've got a question about sumps/refugiums. I'm thinking of adding one to my 46g tank. Ryan mentioned that he needed to partition his sump from his refugium so he could add a skimmer. Isn't a refugium just a sump with a sandbed and macroalgae in it? Why would you need to partition it? Also, what size pump do you think I would need?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 8:21am

peiji - I have an in sump skimmer and from what I understand you don't want your skimmer right in your refugium.  Is this correct?  Also, if I end up doing a in sump return pump I don't want it right in my refugium sucking up sand, macroalgae and so on.  I believe you also want to do some baffles after your overflow into the sump to stop bubbling of the water returning into the tank.  Any other ideas anybody?  Check out some of the links given on another post I had about cast vs extruded.  I think it was sarnack that gave some good links to examples of sumps/refugiums.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 8:43am

Ryan, sorry about the pm.  I've just purged my inbox.

Here's some sump designs that I like, ymmv:

I like this one because it essentually separates the skimmer water from the refugium water.  I like this idea.  Second choice would be to skim the water before going to the fuge.  I don't like the idea of skimming the water after the fuge.  Also, if I want a big skimmer, which means more water flow through the sump (more water flow then I'd want through the fuge.  I don't think you want the fuge to look like a river do you?

Here are a couple pictures of a sump with a nice bubble zone design.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 8:48am
Oops, I didn't look close enough at that first picture.  I'd overflow the refugium into the pump section.  You may have to fiddle with weir height on the skimmer and fuge inlets (or valves on the pipe from the tank overflow) to get the desired flow through each chamber...any opinions?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:05am

I actually like the concepts behind the first one quite well.  Why don't you want to skim after your fuge?  I kind of thought that is what you would want to do?  I'm a little unclear how on the first pic. the refuge overflows to the skimmer portion.  I'm guessing the black valves are the inlet?  I was just thinking in the middle of the plexi to notch out a section for overflow.  This looks cleaner though and probably prevents marco and so on from overflowing.

Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:07am

I've set up a sump/refuge thats pretty simple.  It is a 20 gallon tank. It's size is about 30x12x12.  It is divided into 1/3's by two dividers. The dividers are just a underground filter cut to size. Cheap and already made to width. 

The first section is a deed sand bed and has live rock. I aslo use this section for fragging. It is where the water from the tank enters. I have also placed the intake for my evss skimmer there. 

The middle section is deep sand also. It is where my macroalgae dwells.  I currently have 8 types growing here. There is also 3 mangroves living here.To stop the sand from migrating to the 3rd section here I have a foam piece along the bottom 4 inches of the next divider.

The 3rd section is my return area. I currently run a rio 2500 as my return pump. My skimmer is also is placed in this area. The divider and foam stop 99% of and sand getting into this section. Weekly, I do have to trim algae that has grown past the dividers.

I run the sump/refuge on a reverse daylight schedulehad I had a extra icecap 660 around so I have it lit up by two 36inch VHO's.  This seem to stabilize my morning PH. It was very inexpensive to buy and easy to setup.

Cell 801 860-7333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic