Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electricity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electricity
    Posted: November 05 2010 at 6:53pm
So when I got up today I looked under my tank to find that my fan had fallen into the sump. I noticed all the corals that are normally out even when the lights are off were all closed up and I just got back home and a ton of my stuff looks terrible! It was perfectly beautiful yesterday and now almost everything is closed up and it looks like my monti caps have lost their color:( Is there anything I can do?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 7:03pm
some of the fans carry deadly chemicals. some carry mercury and depends how long it been there how much of the chemical leak. how was it secured the fan? do water changes and add activated carbon. adding seachem prime would not hurt. if i were you i would transfer them to a frsh tank ubtil the thing come under control.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 7:10pm
Yea I am just nauseated and sick at the way everything looks, I have so much money into it. I think most of the corals look fine and will come back out but I am to the point that I am thinking I might just give up:( 
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Oiseau Reefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oiseau Reefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 8:02pm
Don't give up do the above mentioned electricity can change your water chemistry so water changes in big need and add large amount of carbon!!!
Tysen reef head
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 8:21pm
Yea this just happened to be one of my last straws, I'm sure I can pull it back out to look beautiful but I was debating on downsizing due to my parents needing some financial help right now so that just gave me the push forward.
Jackie Stuver

ClarkWGrizwald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarkWGrizwald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 8:49pm
Jackie, i totally understand wanting to downsize but trust me when i say that you will definately miss the larger tank and regret it. The tank should be ok in a couple of days. Just be patient. I got rid of my bigger tank and i miss it so much. Hope everything works out for you.
Chris Erickson
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 9:01pm
^ And honestly with how everything works out, you will probably just end up spending more money to get the smaller tank.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 9:45pm
Downsizing again? it sure going to cost more like ahanix says, it will require more maintance, and you will not be able to keep alot of thing you want, this can be a bummer but dont give up
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2010 at 1:39am
Oh it's not just this guys. Honestly this was just a shove in the direction it was going to end up. My parents are both disabled and they raise my brothers kids and at this point my mom had money from when her dad passed away but now it's gone and we are helping them live which makes it to where I can't afford to keep this. Thanks for the concern and eventually I may gt back into a bigger tank just not anytime soon. I got a great deal on a red sea max tank tonight so that is what my stuff will go in that I keep.
Jackie Stuver

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 1:56pm
Sorry to hear about your fan falling in the tank.  The above advice is very good.

Don't let everyone telling you won't be happy downsizing talk you into believing that you are not happy after you do it.  Downsizing isn't always a bad thing. 

My mom had a 150 gallon tank and the power consumption, maintenance time and everything else eventually took all of the fun our of the hobby for her.  She asked me to help her sell off everything so she could get out of the hobby.  Between giving her a couple weeks to think it over and telling her how much she would miss it she eventually decided to downsize.  We got her a nice 90 gallon tank, consolidated everything, swapped out the MH lights for PC's and move the tank from downstairs to upstairs.  She now has a beautiful tank that she loves.  She doesn't miss the larger one at all and is extremely happy with her decision to downsize.

Edited by Will Spencer - November 07 2010 at 1:58pm
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 8:11pm
I'll bet you find that the RSM is a great tank for your sitouation. I love the one I got when my dad passed away earlier this year. I also am taking care of my mom and it's been tough trying to maintain my tanks in 2 different houses. I find that there is very little maintenance needed to maintain the RSM and it really looks great, and if you are in for a challenge there are LED and other mods you can do to challenge your skills.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic