Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Science Project?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Science Project?
    Posted: November 09 2010 at 2:49pm
Hi,

My 16 year old was asking about science project ideas.  I suggested that doing something with SW chemistry could be both pertinent to current environmental conversations as well and fun and practical.  I can even setup a brand new tank etc as part of the project.

I am looking for suggestions of ideas that would work for a science project.  Hypothesis and testing to confirm the hypothesis, stuff like that.  She's in chemistry right now, so reef chemistry would be a great focus.  Just wondering about the implementation and testing of something with maybe 5-6 weeks to put it all together.

One restriction is it can't involve vertibrates.

Ideas?

Edited by vadryn - November 09 2010 at 2:50pm
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 4:15pm
How about: Reverse Daylight Refugium
People use reverse daylight on their refugium to reduce ph swings when your main tank lights go out.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 4:56pm
I have a sumpless system - so I don't a a 'fuge at all.  Dang.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 5:10pm
well, my little sister is having a science fair early next year and i was wondering the same thing, if she do some project about aquariums, i just dont know what to think.
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 5:27pm
Well...Maybe not Aquarium related...but, you could do a project on water quality.

The tap water from some cities is better than others.  You could take water samples from various locations throughout the valley and test the water...calcium, fluoride, etc.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 5:30pm
Last year my daughter did a science project to see which light spectrum grew macro algae the best. She cut two 6 inch lengths of chaeto and put one in a jar under a 6500K bulb and one in a jar under a 10000K bulb. After 6 weeks, she pulled them out and measured them. One grew significantly better.
Life is good....right?
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 5:30pm
Another one...How does water temperature affect algae growth?
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 5:52pm
I asked this question years ago and didn't get much response. I should have tried again because some of these ideas are pretty good. I hate coming up with ideas for science fairs. My daughter a few years ago did experiments on how lighting effects the growth of Phytoplankton.

This year, my daughter is experimenting on how to kill Majano anemones since I basically had to throw away thousands of dollars worth of livestock because they destroyed my tank. All I have left in my tank is live rock and thousands of anemones. I turned the lights and pumps off about 2 months ago and they are still all there. 

Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 8:09pm
The effect on pH of water movement and gas exchange, RDP effects, etc.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 10 2010 at 9:08am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 11:18pm
I was thinking about "How human kind impact reef enviroments"
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 2:05am
I wonder if you can control the cal and alk to make it snow in a dramatic effect, as planned, on queue. I'm sure there is stuff to talk about if you can make it obvious enough. I've never seen it happen, in a reef with alk and cal, so I'm not really sure.
A precipitate is sure to be a topic they learn about. I guess it's not super exciting though.
Maybe you could test the amount of cal and alk in coral skeleton. Just to prove where those are going.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 9:07am
That's a fun one that would also provide a show. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Last year my daughter did a science project to see which light spectrum grew macro algae the best. She cut two 6 inch lengths of chaeto and put one in a jar under a 6500K bulb and one in a jar under a 10000K bulb. After 6 weeks, she pulled them out and measured them. One grew significantly better.

Which one?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
gutfeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gutfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 11:23pm
Hummm... I have a physical science report due soon, and I was going to do it on keeping a mini reef in your home. We have to stick to "physical science" and not really biology, but I figure if I stay more in gadgits, water flow, balancing chemicals, ph, lighting, temp, etc. I should be cool. Though for a heads up, I may pick on some of you (*looks around at everyone*) and get some interviews on tank keeping. he he he
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic