Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coral beauty eating sps corals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 11:16am
Mark's training only works on young fish.  Remember, "you can't teach an old fish new tricks."Wink

At least I can't.Embarrassed

I've been poking at my GSM for years with a stick to try to get it to stop attacking my hand when it is in the tank.  Hasn't done any good.  After nearly 10 years you'd think I would get over being startled when she attacked me, but I still haven't.  I jump every time she sneaks up on me and attacks.  I guess you can't teach and old Aquarist new tricks either.LOL

I have a beautiful Lemon Peel Angel that does the same thing.  So far it is has not damaged any coral that I can tell so I'm just leaving it in the tank.  If it does start harming coral I'll have a tough decision to make.

Edited by Will Spencer - November 12 2010 at 11:17am
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 11:58am
well it is a very young fish.  It is actually about 1" long.  So hopefully it will learn.  I didn't see it do anything bad yesterday, and it hasn't done any real damage yet.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 2:49pm
I have tried to "train" my fish.  It really has only worked a few times and I don't think it was the training, but more luck than anything.  I tried for almost a year to get me flame angel to stop chasing my clowns.  I have had my clown fish pair for 7 years and they still bite me even though I chase them away everytime my hand is in the tank.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 3:26pm
I haven't trained a fish but my clown would bite me every time my hand was in the tank. I finally got sick of it and just left my hand next to his anem and let him bite it about 10 times. Eventually he gave up and has never bit me since. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

I haven't trained a fish but my clown would bite me every time my hand was in the tank. I finally got sick of it and just left my hand next to his anem and let him bite it about 10 times. Eventually he gave up and has never bit me since. 

Sounds like training to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic