Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coral beauty eating sps corals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coral beauty eating sps corals
    Posted: November 11 2010 at 10:11am
I have a coral beauty that has been nibbling on my sps corals.  I would really like to keep the fish because it is my daughters (she picked it out, named it, etc).  She would be very sad if I got rid of it.

Is there any way I can get this fish to stop?

Thanks
David
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 10:30am
swap it for a different one, close in size.  Usually (from what I recollect) once a fish develops taste for coral it's hard to keep them off it.  It's what fish get hooked on (other than literal hooks).
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 10:59am
Even if you swap fish, the next one will do the same thing. That tank is just too young/bare for that kind of fish; and you have two of them.

Read my post about "fish training" in the Tips below.

Do you remember me saying that you need some algae growing in this tank? Any organism will start eating the next best food when their preferred food is not available. This fish is hungry and found that Zooxanthellae algae in coral tissue is tasty. Smile Find some Macroalgae quick. Place it and some of it's water into your tank.

You mentioned the need for Emerald Entree. You are right about that, and the sooner the better. Do you have a local grocery store with dried algae sheets/Nori/Sushi wrap?

I would also turn off the alternate filtration system. That Hiatt system is evidently restricting the growth of food that the Angel needs.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 11 2010 at 11:01am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Even if you swap fish, the next one will do the same thing. That tank is just too young/bare for that kind of fish; and you have two of them.

Read my post about "fish training" in the Tips below.

Do you remember me saying that you need some algae growing in this tank? Any organism will start eating the next best food when their preferred food is not available. This fish is hungry and found that Zooxanthellae algae in coral tissue is tasty. Smile Find some Macroalgae quick. Place it and some of it's water into your tank.

You mentioned the need for Emerald Entree. You are right about that, and the sooner the better. Do you have a local grocery store with dried algae sheets/Nori/Sushi wrap?

I would also turn off the alternate filtration system. That Hiatt system is evidently restricting the growth of food that the Angel needs.

I can't find the fish training in your tips. 

Both angel fish eat flake food great, but I tried giving them some green seaweed, and they won't touch it.  It seems like they (mostly the coral beauty) just like to go around all day grazing on stuff.  They eat some algae off my overflow, then off the rock, then tast a coral....  I have been feeding them good lately, they used to frantically go after the food when I feed, now they just calmly go around picking out there favorite color and size of flakes...LOL

What type of algae would you recommend I add to the tank?  I may have to make a trip to a fish store... The local one does not have much.  Does Aquatic dreams have < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">Emerald Entree, algae sheets, and macro algae?

Also, if I do all this do you think it will solve the problem, or will it just get board and taste some more corals again later?

Thanks!!!

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 12:37pm
You always run the risk of a dwarf angel nipping on corals. It is part of the risk reward in this hobby. I would only ever keep one dwarf angel in a tank and I wouldn't keep one in a tank less than 50 gallons.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 12:38pm
I've bought Emerald Entree from Aquatic Dreams.

Did you get some of those grazing tabs from Oceanic at the reeffest? They're suppose to be great for grazers.

Sounds like your fish just want some more variety than flak food.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 12:50pm
In my opinion once a fish has a taste for corals it is almost impossible to get them to stop picking at them, even if they are well feed.  I would try a different coral beauty if you really want to have one.  I have had many coral beauties that never pick at my corals, but other that have.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:22pm
I agree with Ryan - with dwarf angels it's always a risk and they can turn on you at any time. My dad had one for three years that was a model citizen and then one day decided he loved the taste of SPS and Acans.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:25pm
To be honest it sounds like it would be best to get rid of my dwarf angels...Cry

So what is a pretty (my girl needs a very pretty fish) fish that is safer?
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Davidwillis Davidwillis wrote:

To be honest it sounds like it would be best to get rid of my dwarf angels...Cry
So what is a pretty (my girl needs a very pretty fish) fish that is safer?

I love Anthias - there is a good deal of variety in colors with Anthias. Pseudochromis are pretty but can be a bit mean. Any fairy wrasse will knock you off your socks with how pretty they are (just make sure you have a top!)
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 2:06pm
David if you need some Macro algae I have some Chaeto with lots of life in it that I am probably getting rid of half of it.  If you would like some call 435-830-4233.  Glen.
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by PhotoGlen PhotoGlen wrote:

David if you need some Macro algae I have some Chaeto with lots of life in it that I am probably getting rid of half of it.  If you would like some call 435-830-4233.  Glen.

Can you mail it????  I would pay for it, but that is a long way for me to drive.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

I've bought Emerald Entree from Aquatic Dreams.

Did you get some of those grazing tabs from Oceanic at the reeffest? They're suppose to be great for grazers.

Sounds like your fish just want some more variety than flak food.

Yes I agree with you... I didn't make it to the reeffest, but that sounds like something good... Can you get them anywhere else?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 4:46pm
I'm not sure where they're selling them. You are welcome to come grab some chaeto from me if you are in Logan. That's not too far of a drive. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

I'm not sure where they're selling them. You are welcome to come grab some chaeto from me if you are in Logan. That's not too far of a drive. 

Thanks.  That would be wonderful.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 5:12pm
It would be worth it to do the fish training and provide a bunch of good foods. You need those foods anyway. At the least, get some raw shrimp at the store and chop it up with some nori then freeze it to help it clump together. This is how we make our own fish food.
If it helps reduce the incidence and/or severity of picking you will be the winner. Smile

Look in the "Adding New Fish..." link. So many people don't believe this is possible. Only because they have a tough time being the Alpha Fish. You are the boss. Let the fish know it. It's really no different than training a dog or cat.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 5:31pm
The tank is at my office. I'm here from 9-5 MWF and 3-7PM Tues and TH. Just give me a heads up by call or text at 770-4043 and bring your own bag. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

It would be worth it to do the fish training and provide a bunch of good foods. You need those foods anyway. At the least, get some raw shrimp at the store and chop it up with some nori then freeze it to help it clump together. This is how we make our own fish food.
If it helps reduce the incidence and/or severity of picking you will be the winner. Smile

Look in the "Adding New Fish..." link. So many people don't believe this is possible. Only because they have a tough time being the Alpha Fish. You are the boss. Let the fish know it. It's really no different than training a dog or cat.

Ok, so translating to adding a coral, this is what I get....
I will feed the fish good food soaked in garlic, then beat it with a stick if it looks at or eats a coral?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 8:00pm
LOL
You will be lucky if you can even hit the fish once. Fish are fast. Fish are also smart. They will learn that you are the boss and that if they want to stop the stick from chasing them, they have to stop looking at the coral as food.

If I was going down to get the Chaeto, I would ask Ben if he would sell me part of a pack of Frozen food, Emerald Entree if he has it.

Even just a day of no supplemental filtration will allow enough soft alge to grow on the surfaces, enticing the fish to eat that. Try it. I believe you will notice increased activity of both Angels picking more visible soft algae off the surfaces. This may even cause them to ignore and eventually forget about the coral. The training will add to the overall positive learning experience for the fish. Like kids, fish also need to be told, "NO". Clap

Herbivorous fish are genetically and physically disposed to picking at algae all day long, just like cattle are made to graze on grass all day long. It takes a lot of algae to provide them their dietary needs. They, like cattle are supposed to have fat bellies full of algae. Their digestive systems are not designed to eat mostly flake or meaty foods.

Hope this helps. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 10:20pm
Thanks... yes it does.  I have the Chaeto, Made some food (in the freezer now), and put a light on my sump with Chaeto in it.  I also put some Chaeto in the tank with the fish, but they have not started eating it yet.  

Now I need to go find a stick...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic