Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help Identify

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 2:21am
Don't ever apply the peroxide into your tank, remove the rock, apply the peroxide to the affected area, and then after 2-3 mins rinse with RO and place back into your tank. Hydrogen Peroxide will kill all inverts and really messes up your ORP so you shouldn't ever add it directly to your tank. Feel free to call me if you have questions I've used this method to get rid of tons of nuisance algae on frags, equipment, etc.  
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 2:26am
I have Bryopsis on some rock i just turn it upside down so it wont grow as fast with any light and keep crabs keep it in check
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 2:34am
SGH360- bryopsis is very hard to get rid of, if you have it I would eradicate it asap or you'll never see the end of it. Buy a gallon of Kent Marine Tech M and raise your mag over several days to around 1700, it will start to turn brown, hold your mag at 1700 for at least a week, manually remove what you can and then let herbivores finish it off. Otherwise it will just keep coming back...
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 2:38am
I had it over 6 months and it has not grown. I have a Gallon of Tech M if that happens i will just nuke the rock. I remember my frogspawn had some on it side, when i bought it, i dont know what happen to it, the thing dissapeared

Edited by SGH360 - November 13 2010 at 2:40am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 8:20am
Sometimes we get lucky! Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 10:54am
JMW;
     Dont use Seachem Flourish Excell that is a Freshwater Plant Fertilizer.  It will do horrible things to your tank...  I was going to suggest a Yellow Tang but you already have that covered, they love the stuff!  Try Emerald Crabs they like it as well.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 8:27pm
Seachem Flourish Excell? Where did that come from?

Originally posted by jmw jmw wrote:

...I looked up Maidens hair, of all the algae pics I've seen that looks exactly like what I have. My only question is why is my yellow tang eating it like crazy?
Chlorodesmis  ...It contains a toxic substance which deters herbivorous fish from eating it..
Because algae grows differently in different situations, even differently in different tanks. That's why it looked like Bryopsis to some hobbyists here, because Bryopsis takes different forms. Look at the pic of some Bryopsis below. It may also be because this algae is not Chlorodesmis or because whoever wrote that evaluation is wrong. I'm sorry, but Maidens Hair cannot possibly be a common name for it. It comes nowhere close to fitting that description. Like Shawn said, it's as tough as toothbrush bristles. I'm sticking with the name Sea Brush. Approve

Lot's of herbivorous fish like this algae and after my experience with it, I would never, ever, recommend it for a Refugium. The darn algae might start growing in the main display and then where would you be. Most fish cannot eat it down to the rock, with the possible exception of a Naso Tang. I've seen them scrape down to the rock to get at Sargassum holdfasts. In fact I just remembered, it was a cousin of the Naso, another type of Unicorn Tang that did the best job of keeping it mowed very short in my old tank. Let me see if I can find a pic...here it is:

Sea Brush is at the base of the Sinularia on the right. The clown cleared it away from the egg patch under the Sinularia on the left.Smile

Here is Bryopsis Angry

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 13 2010 at 8:33pm
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 1:16pm

Tried the peroxide on a couple of rocks, didn't seem to have any affect on it. I think my next steps will be:

1. Keep feeding portions down.
2. Keep lights on for 8 hrs. max.
3. Run a Magnum 350 with activated carbon.
4. Let the tang do it's thing.
5. Try to have some patience before reacting!

John

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:09pm
I'm not too surprised that algae was so resistant. It's the toughest I've ever seen.
That's a good list
I'd try an Urchin. I like the "collector" Urchin. It's easy to pick up and very interesting to watch it carry odd things around on it's back.
Only if the Magnum has some mechanical filtration cleaned frequently to remove crud, will it make any difference. AC does not remove algae nutrients, btw.
The scissors worked well to snip the algae as close to the base as possible if the Yellow Tang wasn't able to keep up with it, until the Unicorn Tang was added.
Good luck. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic