Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sailfin laying at the bottom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sailfin laying at the bottom
    Posted: November 12 2010 at 8:10pm
I just got home and my sailfin tang is laying at the bottom of my display tank.  He looked happy and healthy this morning. He is not breathing heavy just not swimming.

Could my foxface have stung him accidentally?

Everything else looks healthy and the same as this morning.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 8:16pm
What are your water parameters? Foxface won't sting accidentally, was the sailfin aggressive towards the foxface? If not then the foxface would have no reason to extend his spines. How long have you had the tang? What has it been eating? Is it showing any signs of Ich or other parasites?
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 8:25pm
Was not showing signs of ich or other parasites.  I thought he looked healthy and fat this morning.

I will run tests shortly. And post them.

I feed nori, shrimp, pellets, zooplankton... alternating days. He loves all of it.

I have had the sailfin for probably 9 months. The foxface I just got a couple of weeks ago.  They seems to be friends, always swimming together.  I was hoping it would be an accidental thing.

Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 8:35pm
Tangs have been known to have this kind of behavior my scopas tang does is.
90 gallon mixed reef
tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 8:36pm
tropi_gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tropi_gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 8:38pm
just noticed one of his fins looks like it got chewed off!  hmmm
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 11:26pm
That is signs of aggression, it could be the foxface, just keep a close eye on the foxface, how big is the foxface compare to the Tang?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 8:27am
If it was the Foxface, it wasn't an accident. I assume the reason you suspect this is because they have been going after each other ever since the Foxface was added. This is one of the hazards of keeping fish and the reason I wrote about fish training in the Reefkeeping Tips below.

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 13 2010 at 8:29am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 4:58pm
Did he make it?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic