Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brown and green hair algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brown and green hair algae
    Posted: November 14 2010 at 2:42pm
I have been having more and more algae growing. I know how to get rid of it, but what is the cause of this algae outbreak? I've been feeding less, less light, more flow, and my params have not changed drastically. What's going on?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 2:51pm
Its natural to have algae to grow on your tank, thats why you need to have a clean up crew to have it in check. Also it could be phosphate that are feeding the algae. how long is your photoperiod? If it grows out of hand than you have a problem
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 3:00pm
I've been adding more to my clean up crew. My lights are on for about 8 hours a day. Right now I am just running two of the 6 lights
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 9:53pm
Herbivores are part of the natural ecosystem. It takes a lot of them to do the job of eating the algae that grows every day. There has to be a balance of enough herbivores eating each days algae growth.
A tidal pool or just below the surf zone are two of the natural environments most similar to our tanks. A lot more snails and other herbivores live in these areas because of the higher light and nutrient levels.
Is this the 8 gal or the 65 gal? How many snails and hermits are in this tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 9:50am
What about your source water.  Are you using RO?  Have you done a TDS test?

Have you done any recent water changes?  If not maybe it is time (assuming your source water is good).

How old are your bulbs?
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:35am
It's the 65 Mark. Ive been slowly adding more snails. What other herbivores should I add? Thanks for the info!

I am using RO and I have not done a water test this weekend. I will probably later tonight. I did do a 5 gallon water change after scraping some algae off the glass. The bulbs are about 4 months old I'm told.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 12:31pm
I have been running into the same thing with my tank, add more snails a crabs like mark said. It will make the world of differences!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 5:57pm
Jake was asking asking about a test of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) in the RO water. You may have assumed he was asking for test results for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Wink I'll take a wild stab at it and predict that your test results will be close to perfect.
Algae eats pollution. That's the wonderful thing about algae. Big smile

Still waiting for the answer to my question, How many snails and hermits are in this tankQuestion
I would not add them slowly. Now is the time to double or triple the numbers. The lack of snails and other herbivores in 99% of reef aquariums is the reason for terrible nuisance algae problems a month or two from now. Let's look at snails and hermits first. We'll cover other herbivores later, as needed.

BTW, the test results you do need to run are for Alkalinity and Calcium.
Also, this is not commonly accepted knowledge, but when algae is the problem, water changes actually just feed algae growth. Simply put, you cleared off some algae and then fed it with a large water change. Don't feel bad. This is what is called counter-intuitive. It happens to all of us so you are in great company. Thumbs Up LOL

Would love to see a pic of this tank.Smile
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 6:17pm
I did assume he was asking about nitrates and nitrites :S I added 30 snails today though. I will test my alk and calcium tomorrow. I did not know that about water changes. Thanks for the information Mark! I will get an updated pic as soon as I can!

Edited by evan127 - November 15 2010 at 6:19pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Still waiting for the answer to my question, How many snails and hermits are in this tankQuestion
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 6:26pm
Sorry, about 50
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:11am
One snail per gallon is the recommended number for a new tank, without any algae problems. Not being able to see a pic of the tank to help me give accurate advice, to be safe I would suggest adding another 30 snails ASAP. Shocked Algae is way easier to stop before it gets out of control.

When the algae is all cleaned up and too many snails are going hungry, simply sell the extras to someone here on the MB. Smile

Have you checked Alk and Ca yet?

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 16 2010 at 10:13am
evan127 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evan127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 5:26pm
The snails I added yesterday put a pretty big dent in my algae outbreak. I'll probably add another bunch though.

I have not checked my Ca, but my Alk is 180 to 200 ppm.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic