Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jungle Labs Anti-parasite food reef safe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jungle Labs Anti-parasite food reef safe?
    Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:16pm
So my tang has the case of the white stringy poo (internal parasites), so started treating him with this anti-parasite food that is medicated with prazi, metro, and something else....anyways directions say 4 weeks treatment, 3 days a week....one week is done, and fish seems to be pooping "more" normal now again....problem is, I just read the ingredients and it lists copper sulfate....should I stop using this food?  It says for salt and fresh water fish, but nothing about it being reef safe....corals seem fine and I knew it would be a risk for inverts but all is well after a week....I just don't want to keep using it if I am risking a crash from the copper sulfate in the food....advice?  Maybe the amount of copper sulfate in the food is too minimal to cause any harm in the first place?

Edited by bur01014 - November 15 2010 at 11:17pm
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:22pm
Personally anything copper isn't good. Any excess food may not have broken down enough for copper to accumulate in your system.... I wouldn't risk it in my tank, but that's just me. I'm sure that other people may not have a problem with it.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:41pm
I just looked at the active ingredients in Reef Fuel too, and it also says it contains copper sulfate....perhaps I am missing something here?  Agreed Capn, I better be safe than sorry...thanks for the advice!
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:42pm
Not completly true steve, read the back of a fuel bottle... it has copper in it... no idea why, but it has like 1hg.

And to bur... call the company tomorrow and ask, maybe its not enough to harm much

Edit: beat me by 1 min lol

Edited by badfinger - November 15 2010 at 11:44pm
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:44pm
You should probably be treating in a Quarantine tank.  I wouldn't risk any medication in my D/T.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 11:49pm
just read my New Life Spectrum pellets too....they also have copper sulfate....also found on RC  that "Old Tank Syndrome" could really be in fact linked to overfeeding food with copper sulfate over the course of several years.....this is interesting stuff, likely just a theory though...

I better take a good look at all the ingredients of the foods I am feeding....they all seem to have copper sulfate...great....

Edited by bur01014 - November 15 2010 at 11:53pm
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 1:02am
I agree with Brad. Set up a QT tank for treatment. It's the safest way to go about treating the fish and it makes it easier to keep an eye on the fish.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2010 at 10:05am
I hope that you find success with using it.
The scare about copper in the tank comes from incidents where the tankwater was treated with copper and all inverts died.
Here is what I would do:
- Keep a close watch on all inverts in the tank. At the first indication that any coral is starting look funny or to close up, or if you notice crabs struggling, immediately stop the treatment.
- Use Poly-Filter as a filtration medium during and after the food treatment. (Chemi-pure works too, but can cause problems that Polyfilter does not.) The CuSO2 released into the water can then be filtered out pretty quickly before it has much time to affect the inverts.
Hope it works Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic