Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What in the world??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What in the world??
    Posted: November 18 2010 at 2:25pm

I looked in my tank today and noticed that my brittle starfish didn't look right so after a bit of a fight I finally got him out and here is what I am talking about:

Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 2:44pm
Oh Jackie.. that is sick. I hope they can help you decide what it is.. that is terrible!
 Pam
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 3:10pm
I know I am wondering if there is something picking on it or what it is nasty!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 3:24pm
I surprised you saw that.. I never see my brittle or serpent starfish in my tank....
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 3:29pm
 Where is it now?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 3:58pm
that is a cool brittle starfis looks like something is eating it

Edited by SGH360 - November 18 2010 at 4:00pm
dons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 4:07pm
Is it getting ready to split?  At the reef show they talked about that was how they reproduce, they split through the disk.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 5:51pm
It is in a bowl right now as I didn't know if it had something, I see both my large guys when I feed my tank:)
I will look into splitting maybe it could be it is all the way through it.
Jackie Stuver

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 6:28pm
i dont know about spliting it looks like something is eating it
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by davser davser wrote:

i dont know about spliting it looks like something is eating it

Thats what it looks like to me.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 6:52pm
So on reef2reef someone suggested necrosis? I checked my params and my alk was way low! So I would guess my PH probably is too which I guess can cause necrosis? 
Jackie Stuver

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 7:04pm
It could make the situation worse. I don't know if it would be the sole cause. I would lean more toward something trying to eat it or an infection due to injury.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 7:11pm
Yea he was completely healthy less than 10 days ago when I put him in. I think I will put him in my sump until he heals so no one can pick on him. I'm not sure who would be doing the picking though:( 
Jackie Stuver

kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 12:29am
Thats crazy looking, keep us updated
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 8:20am
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

I surprised you saw that.. I never see my brittle or serpent starfish in my tank....
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I never see mine either. He probably came out right to the front of this tank saying Jackie!!! look at my back!!! what the hel!!! Get it off me!!!!!!!!

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - November 19 2010 at 8:21am
Life is good....right?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 8:30am
- The Star is new to the tank so we don't know what kind of stress and poor handling occurred in transit or what appearance/evidence of problems it may have had at the point of purchase.
- The Star was introduced into a tank that has "way low" Alkalinity and pH (actual #'s ?); two parameters that are more damaging to Echinoderms than anything else.
- The Star was forcibly removed from it's mess of a new home and placed in a bowl, simply accelerating further damage and deterioration.
- Everyone here thinks that something is eating the Star, while another MB came up with the idea of necrosis due to unknown cause.

This is all very sad to me.Cry This club's purpose is to promote education and responsible reefkeeping. It makes me think very hard about what I know and what I am doing.Ermm
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 9:13am
Looks exactly like necrosis to me. How low was your alk? If it was low then you are correct in assuming your pH would be too. If you can post some number it would help. Mark is correct in saying that alk and pH affect echinoderms in big ways. I think we can chalk up more fatalities to water chemistry than starvation or other causes, especially in starfish. I would almost be tempted to do an antiseptic dip with something similar to melafix to try and keep it disinfected. Keep us posted on how it's doing, harlequin serpent stars are really cool; hopefully it'll pull through. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 9:19am

Mark - don't be sad.  I think this thread is a great example of promoting education and responsible reef keeping.  We all learn when this type of thing is posted.  I have kept a lot of sea stars over the years and I've never seen this exact thing happen before - I have no idea what it is, but my initial thought it was either an bacteria caused infection or a deterioration caused by ???? .

Most of the deaths I have had go completely unresolved.  When we can see symptoms and discuss possible causes - we all learn what to avoid. 

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 9:28am
The starfish came with the red sea max I purchased so I did not buy him. If fact I haven't purchased any starfish as I haven't read up on them fully so please do not assume I was irresponsible in purchasing him. The tank was finished moving all that I kept over to it about 10 days ago. Unfortunately life has happened I completely forgot that I hadn't checked my params. The alk was extremely low I don't have it handy right this minute but I will post it later.
Jackie Stuver

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 9:32am
Exactly. That's why I'm sad. That a hobbyist coming here would have such a problem and we have no idea what it is. I may think I know a lot, but I don't. I saw this thread soon after she posted. Not knowing what was causing the deterioration, I chose to wait and see.

Of course once this starts, fish might pick at it, Hermits and Bristleworms will definitely smell it and search it out.

The bigger questions are how did it begin in the first place and what is the best course to promote recovery? From what little I know, I believe Steve has hit the nail right on the head.

Edit> Jackie, I know that you care. I didn't mean any disrespect, though my words are often poorly chosen. I'll bet this Star was actually having problems before the tank came to your house. It may likely heal as you give it and the tank the TLC you are known for. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 19 2010 at 9:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic