Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

birdsnest got stung

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: birdsnest got stung
    Posted: November 18 2010 at 7:32pm
So I was doing some rocks rearranging  the other day cause I'm never happy with my rock scape lol. And i placed a rock that had a my birdsnest colony to close to my bubble coral. After messing with everything I looked over and bubble coral had all of its sweeper tentacles out and one of them was attached to the very tip of a branch of the birdsnest. I didnt think much about it because it was only touching the very tip. I figured that part might die but not the whole colony. Well today I looked at it and the whole entire branch all the way to the base is bleached and it looks to be moving up the rest of the colony :( I have heard sps comes back but dont have any experience with that myself.  I want your guy's opinion on what to do. I could frag it but will probably end up with just a bunch of single branches. (The whole base is white...) Before anybody asks my water params are stable no nitrates, nitrites or amonia and my calcium is at about 420. So any thoughts?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 7:37pm
Depends on who you ask really. A lot of people will frag off the good stuff to save it. I personally leave it alone for the most part because it will eventually grow back over the dead branches. Even if by this time next year it decides not to grow over the branches you could easily clip them off which is better than having a whole bunch of frags.

By leaving it, you do run the risk of losing the whole colony. I haven't had this happen to me on a large coral but smaller ones yes. The good thing about birdnest is that it's cheap.... Shocked
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 8:24pm
Yeah its a cheap coral for sure... that's why I'm not super worried. I am a little partial to it though it was one of my first frags and has grown a ton.  I would like to save as much as i can. Do you think the worst is over or is there a amount of time it takes for the bleaching to stop spreading. This same thing happened a few months ago with a green slimmer frag i had(it got stung by that damn bubble coral!). I swear every so often it has a tentacle that is like 6 inches long that comes out.  I lost almost the whole thing only about a inch of it survived but it was only about 4 inches when it happened

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 4:21pm
well i guess i should have fragged it the whole thing is now bleached :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic