Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Something is going on with my xenia!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gutfeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gutfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something is going on with my xenia!?
    Posted: November 19 2010 at 9:53pm
So, my xenia is having a little something going on. I thought it was simply moving from rock to rock, but now the base looks like it is disintegrating. It is turning yellowish and it looks shreded. What could cause this? Is it normal or does it mean there is trouble in my tank?
Sorry the picture isn't the best quality.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 1:15am
What are your water parameters? Xenia will sometimes melt away for no apparent reason. I would cut mine every month or so and it would keep growing that way. Your tank could be low on Iodine but that really depends on how often you do water changes.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 7:14am
Yes, what are the Alk and Ca levels?
Post a full tank pic please.
Age of tank?
Where did the LR and LS come from?
Algae in the tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
gutfeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gutfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 12:23am

I don't realy test anything, I do quarter water changes twice a week though. The tank is the one I won at the MWRF so it isn't too old, the rock and sand came from a previous tank we had set up and before that someone else owned. As for a full picture, I have one posted on my topic "My New Tank Red Sea Max". As for an update, the xenia does appear to be desolving, but only the base on the rock. Also, my stag looks like a real stag horn when they are loosing their fuzz. Is that normal? Other than that everything seems fine, we have had a case of cyan bacteria, but it was a small break out and we took care of it right away with extra cleaning and bigger water changes.

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 12:47am
My xenia was looking pretty bad the other day, so I began checking my params.  My alk was 5.x, but calcium was good.  I raised my alk over a couple days and the xenia has made a come back and has begun pulsing once again.

Xenia is a great indicator for tank well being--you should get the params (calc, alk, ammonia, nitrate/nitrite) as soon as possible and adjust as best you can.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 9:04am
Unfortunately, it may be too late to save the Xenia, but quick action should save everything else.

As a review I have posted my original queries followed by the answers in color coded status
"Yes, what are the Alk and Ca levels? No idea Cry
"Post a full tank pic please. The old tank was on the verge
"Age of tank? Just recently moved all at once
"Where did the LR and LS come from? Previous tankThumbs Up
"Algae in the tank? Unknown

I can see from the pics that the old tank was experiencing difficulties that could have resulted in Xenia problems at any time. Then everything was stirred up and moved. You have a situation that occurs just the same as if it was a brand new tank. The biofiltration has been greatly disturbed and it's possible that nothing has been done to avoid the "cycle".

What can be done?

Right now, the best thing would be to turn on all lights 24/7.

Is there Macroalgae in the Sump/Refugium? If so, take some of it and place it high up on the rock in the display. If not, get some today, and/or immediately go to Walmart or the nearest LFS and get some of the liquid Ammonia Remover.
- Add a half dose per the instructions.
- Don't do any water changes.
- Allow all algae to grow 24/7 to purify the water.
- Don't scrape the glass. That algae is purifying the water.
- Let the algae eat up the pollution.
- Check the Alk and Ca as soon as possible and let us know the numbers so we can advise.
After a few days, post a pic and describe what is happening in the tank.

If you notice, I have said nothing about checking N levels. Nitrogen is pollution. We know there is too much pollution in the tank. The coral are telling us that. The most important thing right now is to reduce the pollution. We don't need to know the N levels but if it makes you feel better and you have the test kits, feel free to test and post the numbers.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 23 2010 at 9:33am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 9:24am
Originally posted by gutfeeling gutfeeling wrote:

I don't realy test anything,

I do quarter water changes twice a week though.

Also, my stag looks like a real stag horn when they are loosing their fuzz. Is that normal?

If you would like to keep a thriving reef aquarium, you will need to learn about testing. As most hobbyists, when we first learn about testing, we start to have some fun with it and get to know the Alk and Ca parameters of our tank. As time goes on we start to have a feel for how our tank is doing and we eventually test less often, once a month is a good schedule to be on. Smile

Water changes are misunderstood by most new hobbyists. 25% weekly is so much that I am not surprised there were problems in this tank. You may not believe this but, water changes of only 10% per month is usually the best amount and schedule. There are several reasons for this that I won't go into right now.Smile

Staghorn Coral is an SPS Coral. As such, it is one of the most sensitive coral in the tank. It is having trouble with the pollution that came as a result of the move. If the procedures above are followed, that coral should survive. Don't touch it, but if it starts to look worse, come here and we will advise.Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic