Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hippo Tang =(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

all this about what is easy to digest and what isn't is nonsense.....we don't need to eat of ton of veggies or fruits to obtain neccessary nutrients/vitamins....it is quite simple, nobody wants to eat fruit and veggies... because steak, fat, candy, chocolate just tastes better....eat just a couple servings of the healthy stuff w/ a vitamin supplement a day would be plenty.....

Sorry, but you're wrong in so many ways. Since it's completely OT from the OP I will leave it at that, but PM me or start a topic in the Off-topic section if you want to learn about proper nutrition.

Since we are way off anyway . . . I agree with you. I used to think like Bur01014 did. Then I started to eat more veggies and fruits. I've never been a big junk food person and I've always been fit. This summer I started to road bike again after a two year hiatus and decided that I needed to eat more fruits and veggies. It was hard to start since I never really liked them and I hated salads. After two months though I started to CRAVE salads and fruits. Its to the point now where I eat a salad and fruit almost daily . . . and not because I'm forcing myself to but because it makes me feel better and I crave them. I had not idea what my body was missing till I started to give it what i needed. I used to just take a multivitamin and thought that was good enough . . it most definitely is not.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 11:32am

all this about what is easy to digest and what isn't is nonsense.....we don't need to eat of ton of veggies or fruits to obtain neccessary nutrients/vitamins....it is quite simple, nobody wants to eat fruit and veggies... because steak, fat, candy, chocolate just tastes better....eat just a couple servings of the healthy stuff w/ a vitamin supplement a day would be plenty.....

Sorry, but you're wrong in so many ways. Since it's completely OT from the OP I will leave it at that, but PM me or start a topic in the Off-topic section if you want to learn about proper nutrition.

That digestion stuff mentioned is still way off.  Wasn't saying there is a magic pill (vitamin) that will solve all your problems.  I did say eat a few fruits and veggie servings a day, enjoy some unhealthy food here and there (denying yourself this can cause great problems in the end, overindulgence), and take a daily vitamin for any nutrients you may not be getting.  For the typical individual, eating tons of fruits and veggies daily is quite difficult and expensive.  Why I suggest my method as being plenty is that in this day and age, many "basic" foods are now enriched with the neccessary vitamins and nutrients we need.  (ex. basic piece of bread)

I find no need to learn more at this time, I think my Master's and now Doctorate in the subject warrants enough learning at the moment for myself, but you can pm me back and forth if you like as I think we have overtaken this original thread....

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 11:33am
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Since we are way off anyway . . . I agree with you. I used to think like Bur01014 did. Then I started to eat more veggies and fruits. I've never been a big junk food person and I've always been fit. This summer I started to road bike again after a two year hiatus and decided that I needed to eat more fruits and veggies. It was hard to start since I never really liked them and I hated salads. After two months though I started to CRAVE salads and fruits. Its to the point now where I eat a salad and fruit almost daily . . . and not because I'm forcing myself to but because it makes me feel better and I crave them. I had not idea what my body was missing till I started to give it what i needed. I used to just take a multivitamin and thought that was good enough . . it most definitely is not.

I think there is validity in this......once you start eating fruits, your craving for "unhealthy" foods will be reduced.  This occurs in 2 ways.  First, your less hungry.  Second, fruits contain ( in many cases) a great deal of sugar, although "natural" sugars, resulting in more stable blood sugar levels=less desire for junk food, and less desire to over-indulge. 

Getting on the bike again (exercise) also releases endorphins and will reduce your cravings for unhealthy foods.  Glad you are now craving salads and fruits.  You have turned a heavy page, however, lifestyle behavioral changes are the hardest to keep....moderation, food choice, and control....very easy to understand, quite difficult to follow on a long-term basis.

smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:25pm

My experience is a bit different. During the summer I ride around 250 miles a week and during that time I neet to eat nearly 6000 calories a day. I could not do that eating salad and fruit. I do eat healthy food, but the only way to get that much food energy and not spend every second of the day eating, I need fair amounts of fat, amounts I can only get from animals.

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by smacky smacky wrote:

My experience is a bit different. During the summer I ride around 250 miles a week and during that time I neet to eat nearly 6000 calories a day. I could not do that eating salad and fruit. I do eat healthy food, but the only way to get that much food energy and not spend every second of the day eating, I need fair amounts of fat, amounts I can only get from animals.

Oh don't get me wrong. I ride about 150 miles a week and I do eat like a pig. I just eat more Salads and fruit then I used to. I still love me some animal. If I ate only veggies I think I'd die. I certainly wouldn't be able to go out on a ride longer than 15 miles.
None at the moment
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:42pm
Please have your non-fish related diet discussions in the off topic forum.

I made a topic specifically for these.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Jake Pehrson Jake Pehrson wrote:

Please have your non-fish related diet discussions in the off topic forum.

I made a topic specifically for these.

On the internet debate scale the current one only reached 1.5 out of a 10. Hardly any insults were thrown! We have made progress!

Back on topic -

Who ended up with this fish? And how is it doing?

Edited by jwoo - December 02 2010 at 1:08pm
None at the moment
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 2:21pm
I too hope it goes to a good home. I would take it if I had a large enough tank.

WinkYou know the problem with this MB anymore is there isn't enough darma. I hear that Jake loves drama.LOL
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic