Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hippo Tang =(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hippo Tang =(
    Posted: November 27 2010 at 7:56pm
I was given this hippo tang from a friend and the poor thing looks horrible, chunks of its skin are missing, it was kept in a 55 gallon with a clown, wrasse and a blenny, i have him in a 20 gallon just temporarily till he is better, what do you think could be wrong and what should i do?

Edited by Reefboy4life - November 27 2010 at 8:01pm
90 gallon mixed reef
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 7:58pm
that thing is having some serious fungus problem. wish i knew what type. look like fin rot and anonther
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 10:20pm
It kinda looks like HLLE. It needs to be in a big tank! Oh big is he? They can stress really easy! is he eating? What is he eating?
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 10:28pm
I agree with Jeremy. He needs to be put into a big tank. Since he is out you might be able to treat if it is a fungus but I'm not an expert by any means on fish diseases. I think that getting him comfortable in a bigger tank with plenty to eat might be a better way to go. I'd wait for Adam or Mark to chime in though.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:00pm
man that thing looks rough!
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:22pm
I did a little research and im thinking it is HLLE, he is probably 5-6 inches and he is eating pretty well i have been giving him flake, brine, and algae.
90 gallon mixed reef
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:25pm
soak the food in garlic. Lot's of algae. I saw a tang like that once at AD that they just bought off a guy and they said that he never fed it much and when he did he never fed it algae and that caused a lot of probs. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:27pm
I was told to soak the food in a vitamin supplement, what do you guys think? or should i use garlic? or both?
90 gallon mixed reef
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:35pm
here is a guide to most of the known disease hope this helps

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:41pm
I would feed it only algae, Nori and lettuce. That will give it all the vitamins it needs. At that size, it will do better if you can get it into at least a 75 gal tank, especially one with a good growth of Macroalgae to graze on. A little meaty food once in a while, marinated in Garlic Oil couldn't hurt.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2010 at 11:55pm
Ok, Thanks for all the help guys ill keep you updated. 
90 gallon mixed reef
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 1:02am
Oh that poor thing..   I hope you can nurse him back.
 Pam
Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 12:12pm
I've had tangs similar to this one. Soak a stem of broccoli in vitamins and feed on a clip. Broccoli is very high in vitamins and will make a difference with the HLLE.

Edited by Fish Mama - November 28 2010 at 12:16pm
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 12:20pm
Ok so if he really is that big I would agree with everyone one else! Get him into a bigger tank at lest 75 gallons if not bigger! possibly even 125 +! He needs a lot of swimming room to be happy!

KEEP KEEP KEEP feeding the algae/nori/broccoli! And lots of it! He should have some so he can munch on it consistently!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 2:39pm
If you dont have a bigget QT tank then remove all of the live rock so it can swim better

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 2:49pm
It likes to hang behind the rocks, but he is not eating the algae i have been putting in?
90 gallon mixed reef
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 3:22pm
have you putting it in a clip? they are pretty shy, have you tried soaking in it garlic oil? what type of algae have you been putting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 3:40pm
I am putting it on a clip, it is just green marine algae, and i need to go get some garlic.
90 gallon mixed reef
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 9:31pm
I have never had luck with clips, I know others have, but try wrapping the nori on a piece of rubble rock then strap it down with a rubber band. Also my fish wouldn't eat the marine algae either so I bought it nori sheets from the grocery store and it did the trick so maybe that would work too I don't know. Good luck.

Edited by Haley'sfish - November 28 2010 at 9:34pm
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 8:13am
Here is what I meant when I used these terms:

Algae - live soft algae growing on the surfaces of the rock and live macroalgae. Caulerpa is the most common Macroalgae to feed to Tangs because of how easy and fast it grows in reef aquriums. There are people here on this MB that will give you Caulerpa for free as they periodically harvest it from their Refugiums

Nori - dried marine algae sheets. Commonly used to wrap sushi

Lettuce - dark green leafy lettuce such as Romaine lettuce from the grocery store.

These three forms of algae will give the Tang all that it needs in the way of vitamins. There is no need to supplement. Patience is the key to feeding new forms of algae. The fish may be accustomed to eating only flake and frozen meaty foods. This is why it is in bad health. Think of cattle. They cannot live long on potato chips and steak. Their bodies are built to eat grasses and grains. Feed less and less of flake/pellet and frozen meaty foods while continuously providing fresh algae type foods and the Tang will eventually switch back to the correct food for it's best health.

Are you aware of how to use Garlic Oil? The instruction is this link, also found in the "Reefkeeping Tips" below:
Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the miracle of Garlic Oil: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34014

Edited by Mark Peterson - November 29 2010 at 8:19am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic