Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 clown triggers dead..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 clown triggers dead..
    Posted: December 01 2010 at 9:04pm

hey guys! i have had my 120g set up since July. i have had 3 deaths since then.

Singapore angel (aug. lived for 1week)
Clown Trigger (sep. lived for 12 days)
Clown Trigger(Nov. lived for 5days!!)

of course all of my other fish are healthy and worth$10 each.

the sole reason i got into saltwater was for my fasination of Clown triggers!!! lol
any input on what can be going on?
i was told wild caught clown triggers, are very hard to keep healthy.  not that i'm aware if mine were wild or tank raised..

Salinity is 1.024
ph 8.1
temp 75.2-77.5
125g Aggressive tank
SWC-Xtreme cone prtein skimmer
40g Sump
------------------------------
16g Innovative Marine Reef
AI led 75W
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 9:07pm
How did you acclimated your fish?
how healthy were they before you bought them?
did you ask if they can fed them to see if they ate?
How big were they when you bought them?
what other fish you have in there and how big are they?
Can you post a full tank picture?

Edited by SGH360 - December 01 2010 at 9:40pm
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 9:21pm
Where do you get them from?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 9:43pm
What are your cal. and alk. levels?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 9:51pm
I dont think Calcium is has a factor on this. Alk seems it range since his ph is 8.1
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by jmw jmw wrote:

What are your cal. and alk. levels?
Generally ca and alk don't affect fish. In a fish system pH, temp, ammonia and nitrite are much more of a concern. So on that note: How do you acclimate your fish? Where did you buy them? Were they eating? Did they show any signs of illness? What are your pH, temp, Ammonia, Nitrite etc. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 10:14pm

I always like to know the calcium and alkalinity, athough I agree with Steve, they are less important in a fish only setup.  Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels are important.

How long has it been since you did a water change?  What type of salt do you use?  What type of source water do you use (R.O., tap water, distilled, etc.)  Do you run carbon?  What other fish do you have in the tank? What lights are you using (if they are DE halides are you running the glass sheilds?)?  What type of rock and sand are you using?  Has the tank been treated for parasites in the past (i.e. copper or other medication)?

Sorry lots of questions.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 11:41pm
wow talk about 20 questions!! overwhelmed by the helpThumbs Up
alk 2.5
nitrate 5-10ppm
nitrite 0.25ppm
no calcium tester.

Acclimation time was 90minutes with drip system. however salinity of water from fish store would not even read on my hydrometerConfused
purchased all fish at Bird World.

i use tap water with conditioner.
i use crystal reef salt
140-200lbs of Fiji rock (lost track of how much LR i have.)

Edited by herrera - December 02 2010 at 12:03am
125g Aggressive tank
40g Sump
AI led 75W
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 11:45pm

first trigger, ate fine up to his death. then 2nd trigger stopped eated just 2 days prior. triggers were babies but decent size. i would say 2 1/2" inches

i have just cheap standard lighing.
i used to have t5 in an older tank, but could never control Algea..

live stock:
3 Damsels 1"-2"
1 Huma 2"
1 Niger 2 1/2"
1 bicolor angel 2 1/2"

Tank does not have a protein skimmer.
money is tight, so i'll upgrade one thing at a time. what should be next $150 or less pruchase? Reverse Osmosis system or UV steralizer? or something else??

Edited by herrera - December 02 2010 at 12:02am
125g Aggressive tank
40g Sump
AI led 75W
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 11:52pm

My first thought is that your hydrometer is off.  I know birdworld keeps their water at 1.024. The owner Doug is pretty anal about keeping his water parameters in check as to keep his thousands of dollars in fish and corals alive.

Life is good....right?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 11:55pm
Bird world uses hyposalinity on their system except on the corals systems. Its around 1.009 its pretty low, usually takes me 3 hours to raise it to reef level, you havent answered what other fish you have. Picture of your tank will also help
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 11:55pm
That would be my first thought too.

What other fish are in the tank as well? I have some pretty mean fish when it comes to newbies.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:02am
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

Bird world uses hyposalinity on their system except on the corals systems. Its around 1.009 its pretty low, usually takes me 3 hours to raise it to reef level, you havent answered what other fish you have. Picture of your tank will also help
Hyposalinity? Are you sure about this? Doug helped me calibrate my 2 hydrometers with his refractometer and he told me he keeps his salanity at 1.024. Maybe he was talking about his 2 coral systems? What would be the point of keeping his fish system at a "hyposalanity" and selling them to people with "normal" salanity? That just makes no sense to me?
Life is good....right?
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:06am

hydrometer is fine.  i check their water everytime.

i do have a refractometer, but am to lazy to use it.
125g Aggressive tank
40g Sump
AI led 75W
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:06am
Yes im sure im not talking about the Coral system im talking about the FO system, They told me it was around 1.009 to 1.013 when i got my foxface i check the salinity which was 1.013 they say it keeps the diseases to a minimum and looks like it works. Thats why it takes alot of time acclimating them dont want to shock them
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:14am
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

Hyposalinity? Are you sure about this? Doug helped me calibrate my 2 hydrometers with his refractometer and he told me he keeps his salanity at 1.024. Maybe he was talking about his 2 coral systems? What would be the point of keeping his fish system at a "hyposalanity" and selling them to people with "normal" salanity? That just makes no sense to me?

Hyposalinity is an effective treatment for parasites. There are lots of places that keep their fish systems at lower salinity levels.

back to the parameters. Your alk is really low at 2.3, but your pH seems ok so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your nitrite level is elevated though, it should be 0. Did you have any deaths in your tank prior to the clown triggers going? 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:18am
Did you check how long were they at the store? usually the longer they stay the higher the probability they can survive in captivity if they are caught in the while. Ordering straight from a supplier can be risky if you dont know where the fish is caught and how its transfer is to the aquarium business

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:32am

Is it even chemically possible to have a PH of 8.1 and an Alk of 2.5? Do you have a sump? Im just wondering if its maybe an oxygen issue? Also I would point that korilla up to help with gas exchange at the surface...

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - December 02 2010 at 12:35am
Life is good....right?
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 12:34am
i had a singapore die about 3 weeks beofe i bought the first clown trigger. and he may have been dead for a few days before i got him out, because he would always hide. so i thought nothing of it.
125g Aggressive tank
40g Sump
AI led 75W
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 3:12am
I would also be interested in verifying your pH level... It does seem odd to have an alk of 2.3 with a pH still being 8.1, I doubt it is an oxygenation problem or the fish would show signs of stress before death like heavy breathing etc. I would take your water sample to an LFS to have your parameters verified. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic