Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 clown triggers dead..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 10:13pm
You bring up two things that I discussed - just a little more bluntly than I was.

I commented on the immaturity of the tank based on the pictures in combination with it's inability to handle the bio-load of fish like Triggers.  I too suggested more LS and LR and time.

I think that Mark's latest comment is the most meaningful... "Have you made any of our suggested changes to the tank yet?"  I'm in the same place as Mark, wanting to see the rubber hit the road with things that CAN be done instead of doing irrelevent and expensive things (RO) or just wasting time discussing the salinity at Bird World and trying to figure out if we can blame someone else for the dead fish.

I want to see some progress so he can successfully keep the fish he wants to keep in a month or two.  I think we all want to see success.
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 10:31pm
 "was told wild caught clown triggers, are very hard to keep healthy.  not that i'm aware if mine were wild or tank raised"...

They are all wild caught

Second your tank temp is way too cold. Your tank should be in the low 80's
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 8:04am
low 80's ? I see pros and cons to that. What do you see?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 9:08am
If 76 and 78 both work, then 76 is going to save a lot of money over time...
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 9:26am

They are all wild caught

this is false. Sorry to tell you but they are not all wild. Some are tank reared. Did you go to MWRF? Go take a visit to Reef Runners or Fish 4 U. They have tank raised/reared ones in the stores.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 9:57am

Okay I see some confusion on the forums at times in ref to the difference between tank raised and tank bred. Even I fall victim to it at times. I have even seen stores charge more for a tank raised fish, dunno if they are hoping the customer will assume they mean tank bred or what.

Wild Caught(WC)- Fish, usually adults, that are caught in the wild and sent to distrubution centers to be sold to your LFS.

Tank Bred(TB)/Captive Bred (CB)- Fish that are from a breeding pair, either WC,TR, or TB. These fish live their entire lives in captivity. These fish are bred in captivity so they have NEVER been in the open ocean (Critterheaven)

Tank Raised(TR)- Fish, usually juveniles, are orignally WC and then kept in captivity until they are selling size or until cleared of all parasites, dieases, bacteral infections.

- - - - -

I am sure that the stores want us to believe that Tank Raised means Captive Bred, but the reality is that Wild Caught and Tank Raised are BOTH taken from the ocean.

Edited by vadryn - December 22 2010 at 9:58am
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 10:21am
Sorry if you thought I was confused im not they are tank raised/reared. caught as fry and then raised for year-years in a tank.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

You bring up two things that I discussed - just a little more bluntly than I was.

I commented on the immaturity of the tank based on the pictures in combination with it's inability to handle the bio-load of fish like Triggers.  I too suggested more LS and LR and time.

I think that Mark's latest comment is the most meaningful... "Have you made any of our suggested changes to the tank yet?"  I'm in the same place as Mark, wanting to see the rubber hit the road with things that CAN be done instead of doing irrelevent and expensive things (RO) or just wasting time discussing the salinity at Bird World and trying to figure out if we can blame someone else for the dead fish.

I want to see some progress so he can successfully keep the fish he wants to keep in a month or two.  I think we all want to see success.
well unless im skipping some threads, most of the suggestions have been to add more LR/LS and some chaeto 
i have 200lbs in the main tank. how much do i need??
also someone sayed i had 200lbs of dead rock? why you say that??

went to fs to have water tested.
here's the results..

ammonia 0
nitrites .1
nitrates 20
alk 27
calcium 500

fish guy said it's a huge suggestion to get RO especially for fish FO. and that it will reduce the trates and alk.

125g Aggressive tank
SWC-Xtreme cone prtein skimmer
40g Sump
------------------------------
16g Innovative Marine Reef
AI led 75W
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 5:58pm
125g Aggressive tank
40g Sump
AI led 75W
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by herrera herrera wrote:

hey guys! i have had my 120g set up since July. i have had 3 deaths since then.

Singapore angel (aug. lived for 1week)
Clown Trigger (sep. lived for 12 days)
Clown Trigger(Nov. lived for 5days!!)

of course all of my other fish are healthy and worth$10 each.

the sole reason i got into saltwater was for my fasination of Clown triggers!!! lol
any input on what can be going on?
i was told wild caught clown triggers, are very hard to keep healthy.  not that i'm aware if mine were wild or tank raised..

Salinity is 1.024
ph 8.1
temp 75.2-77.5
first off you don't have a long enough tank for a clown trigger. You can do nigers, huma huma, blue jaw. Not clown though
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 9:42pm
"fish guy" is trying to sell you a RO unit (and everything else under the sun until your problem goes away or you become bankrupt). This is hopeless -- best of luck to you.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 11:38pm
RO water will help bring your Alk down by not adding any more from the tap.  That seems like spitting into a 5 gallon bucket hoping to fill it up. 

You have big problems in that you have "200 lbs" of LR and it can't support what you currently have.  You need time and better/more flow to help get that LR going.  Your LR looks like a brick wall.  If it's riddled with gaps and openings, then you probably need more flow to utilize them.  How many times an hour are you turning over your tank water?  (Add powerhead and pump ratings up using GPH and divide that by your tank's gallons) 

As for that scarey Alk of 27, I'm going to watch with interest to see how you can bring that down without having coral in there to use it.  With those numbers there are probably more people here surprised your fish are alive than there are that they are dieing.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 9:55am
27 is probably not the correct number. I'll bet it's 2.7 meq/l but we need Herrera to verify that. Normal range is generally 3.0-5.0 mil equivalent/liter, so it's slightly low.

Herrera does not need to spend more than $1 to fix this whole problem. It boils down to having the right understanding and making some simple changes to the tank. It would sure help if Herrera would call me. A 10 minute conversation could settle a lot of this and make it possible to keep a Clown Trigger. Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 25 2010 at 10:28am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 9:25pm
i'm quite sure he said alk was 27.
iv'e talked to this guy alot  in the past. he's a good guy. he told me an RO unit should solve the alk, and nitrate which is the only problem the tank is seeing.  he even told me buy from ebay.. so he was not trying to sell anything..
my pump turns 1225 gph
x2  koriala 3&4
125g Aggressive tank
40g Sump
AI led 75W
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 9:26pm
Mark pm your number, and time you are available to talk. thanksSmile
125g Aggressive tank
40g Sump
AI led 75W
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 1:53am
Your tank should be able to handle any added nitrate from tap water, and if your alk is that high, an RO unit will not fix it...

Marks number is on the bottom of his post (in his signature).  He is a great guy, and knows a lot about this stuff.
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 8:36am
I have never bought a fish from Bird World that lived.  Yet I have never had one from Aquatic or The Aquarium that didn't.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of what Bird World keeps their SG at?
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 5:23pm
by the way that alk is DKH
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Connie Connie wrote:

I have never bought a fish from Bird World that lived.  Yet I have never had one from Aquatic or The Aquarium that didn't.

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of what Bird World keeps their SG at?
I've had a few fish from Birdworld I bought the last one a year ago and I still have them all today, whereas I can't say the same for the aquarium. I don't think fish losses can be chalked up to a single LFS, I believe that 90% of livestock mortality in this hobby is caused by the hobbyist. That's why reef clubs are so important in helping educate hobbyists in how to better care for livestock. I know when I first started in aquariums I burned through my share of fish, now I have what I consider to be a great track record with my purchases. 

To answer your question about dKh it means degrees of carbonate hardness (it's a measure of alk)
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 10:38pm
27 DkH isn't that about 3 times too much?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic