Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flatworms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatworms
    Posted: December 03 2010 at 4:09pm
Should I dose my tank with the flatworm killer?  I am thinking about buying a six-line, but was wondering if I dose my tank with the flatworm killer, and then do a huge water change and use activated carbon if my corals will still be ok.  Or is there anything else I can do to get rid of them?  Thanks for the help
34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 4:35pm
How big is the population of flatworms?... that really will tell you what you need to do. If its just a few you see, do what the box says.... if its a lot, then do a lesser dose, and a big waterchange. The flatworm exit won't be what hurts your tank. Its all the decompsoing of the flatworms
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 4:40pm
Any reason not to go with a sixline? They help control a lot of other pests as well and you don't run the risk of losing corals.... plus price wise they're about the same.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 4:45pm
When I had flatworms my sixline was great at getting rid of them.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 4:46pm
I would use flatworm exit (or a similar product).  I have done this multiple times.  As long as you read the directions carefully you will be fine.  If you do have a large population then it is a good idea to dose light the first time to kill off a portion and then run cardon, do a water change and then a few days later dose again.

The only problem with the sixline is I have never had them get rid of all the flatworms.  If you are not going to trade corals with people then it wouldn't be a problem, but if you plan on doing in fragging then you need to eradicate them.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 4:58pm
FWE is the way to go, this will permantly get rid of the Flatworms, and will not have problems if the sixline wrasse is eating them or not. If the population is huge dont use all the 100% dose it will nuke your tank, syphon all of the Flatworms you can and then dose 10%, each day increase dosage until you reach 100% and all of your Flaworms will die.
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 6:21pm
Well I just got back from aquatic dreams and I picked up a sixline, and some flatworm control.  I am going to keep my skimer on and put some new Activated carbon in, I will keep you posted on how my little problem is going.  O and just to answer some questions.  I dont have a ton of flatworms yet, but they are starting to get worse.  I can probably see about 20 between my display tank and my sump.  I just know they can be a pain in the but if they get out of control.  Thanks for all of your quick post
Jake
34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 6:44pm
I had a small problem with flat worms...I tried six line wrasses...They couldn't keep up with the flat worms.  Pretty soon I had a BIG flat worm problem.

Here is how I got rid of ALL flat worms: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=42112&PID=366720#366720

Since then, I have not seen ONE flat worm.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 6:47pm
Thumbs Up to flatworm exit.  Used it many times with great results.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
kethomps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kethomps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 5:07pm
FWE works great.  I had to dose a couple of times before I finally got rid of all of them.   I wouldn't waste your time with a six line wrasse; it may or may not eat the flatworms and even if it does eat them it won't be able to keep up with them.   Don't wait on the treatment!  The sooner you can kill them with a limited population the better off your tank will be. 
210g sw fish
West Jordan
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 10:08am
Originally posted by kethomps kethomps wrote:

FWE works great.  I had to dose a couple of times before I finally got rid of all of them.   I wouldn't waste your time with a six line wrasse; it may or may not eat the flatworms and even if it does eat them it won't be able to keep up with them.   Don't wait on the treatment!  The sooner you can kill them with a limited population the better off your tank will be. 

I agree,  wrasse is a hit/miss.  Get rid of them before they take over...Fast!

Remember, you can only see a fraction of the worms...you will have more than you expect.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Riverton_Ten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riverton_Ten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 11:46am
Who's got Flatworm exit for the best price?  Seems I need some.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 1:51pm
check your nearest Fish store or order it online. Aquatic dreams have them for 24 bucks but since you at riverton you'll probably waster more gas rather than save money
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 2:34pm
I used Blue Vet flatworm control from Pets & Such. $24 bucks and it worked like a charm. I had a large population and could see them crawling from places i didnt know i had them. I doubled the dose and siphoned the dead out with a siphon and did water changes as i vacuumed them out. Re dosed a week later to make sure they were gone and all is well. I had zero losses from this product. I highly reccomend it.

72 Bow ASM G2 Oceanic1 mag 9.5
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 3:07pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't keeping a wrasse, such as the sixline, be a great preventative method?  I think it's quite possible that when you introduced the pest to your tank that the wrasse would take care of it without you ever knowing what had happened.

I was reading about a different wrasse that was considered a great hunter of pests in the tank... what was it?... Have to look it up again.  Anyway, sixline are really cheap.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 3:10pm
Found it: Melanarus Wrasse

"One of the best kept secrets in the hobby, the Melanurus Wrasse is one of the best problem solvers for Planaria flatworms in reef aquariums."

Edited by vadryn - December 17 2010 at 3:11pm
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't keeping a wrasse, such as the sixline, be a great preventative method?  I think it's quite possible that when you introduced the pest to your tank that the wrasse would take care of it without you ever knowing what had happened.

I was reading about a different wrasse that was considered a great hunter of pests in the tank... what was it?... Have to look it up again.  Anyway, sixline are really cheap.
I agree that you have better odds of pests being devoured without knowing you ever had them......but its a crapshoot if they will actually eat the pests or can keep up with them. I had 3 six lines 2 target mandarins in my 72 and the population still grew to infestation porportions.  Just thought I would tell my experience
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 4:09pm
Yeah - I would think that once there is an infestation you'd probably need something more serious than a hungry fish or two.  I wonder what keeps them in check in the wild?  I'll bet there are reef crabs that like them...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 6:42pm
Yes, I add a Sixline Wrasse to any of my tanks over 55 gal just for that purpose,
In the wild lots of different fish and invertebrates keep them in check, but there is one other thing - in our tanks the conditions become perfect for a population explosion. Unhappy

One other fish has been known to eat these flatworms. The Yellow Tail Blue Damsel, when hungry will eat the flatworm if they see it move. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
shakin06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakin06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

Yeah - I would think that once there is an infestation you'd probably need something more serious than a hungry fish or two.  I wonder what keeps them in check in the wild?  I'll bet there are reef crabs that like them...
I only saw a few flatworms when I added the 5 mentioned fish and still had a massive population explosion. I was just trying to show that not all said flatworm eaters will in fact eat them and it does not take long for the explosion to occur.
TEK 8 bulb T5HO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic