Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

white spots on flame angel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: white spots on flame angel
    Posted: December 03 2010 at 9:10pm
Well my flame angel that has been fighting HLLE now has white spots on him.  They are very small, and at first I thought they were little micro air bubbles.  Then I thought maybe ICK, but since I have not added any fish for a 2 months, and since he already has problems, I am thinking it may be something else....

I tried taking a picture, but I can't get the focus good enough to see them.

I am debating on taking him out of the tank and putting him in a quarantine tank,  I have a 10 gal tank that I could take the sand out of my sump and put in, and fill it with LW.  I don't want all my fish to get sick.  

I will work on getting a picture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 9:19pm
This is about the best picture I can get.

jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 9:33pm

If the fish is stressed at all, it could still be ick.  If I was you I would start feeding him garlic and see if that helps at all.  I have a hippo tang that gets ick really easy.  Even if I move some of my Live Rock around it gets stressed and gets it.  Since I have started to feed it garlic, I havent seen the Ick.  I have also been running my UV sterilizer 24-7 to.  Hope this helps a little. 

34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 9:53pm
I have been feeding garlic to help with the HLLE.... I wish I had a UV sterilizer, but I don't, and can't afford to buy one right now.

I have a peppermint shrimp, but I don't know if they will help at all, I got some cleaner shrimp when I had problems with ick in my 55 gal.  I don't know if they helped or not, but it went away.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 10:02pm
keep up with the garlic and hope for the best. I think taking him out would stress him even more and you want to avoid that right now. Bummer, this guy is a beautiful fish.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 10:04pm
If that fish is sick is highly likely the others are infected but are healthy enough to fight it off. Putting it in QT will probably cause more stress than it already is. Feed Garlic and see if it improves.

What are your water parameters?

Can you provide a full picture of your tank?
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 11:02pm
If the fish is still eating and your tank is stable enough to handle this (good skimmer, lots LR, perhaps a fuge), overfeed that guy.....small feedings 5-6 times a day with a good quality frozen and pellet....I swear New Life Spectrum Thera A pellets w/ garlic has done wonders on the fish that have gotten ich in my tank....once I see ich I feed those fish until they are so full they can't stand to look at more food....usually kicks the ich!   (make sure your tank can handle feeding more though, otherwise it will worsen water quality and cause the fish to stress more, just try and find the balance between overfeeding and nutrient export for your system)

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 11:32pm
Water parameters

Temp: 76
ph: 8.1
salinity: 1.025
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate:0
phosphate: 0.5 (this is the only parameter I am worried about)
calcium: 440
alk: 9 dkh

I have been over feeding (and I think that is why my phosphates are up), but the problem is he loves my flake food, and won't touch the pellets or frozen food.  He does eat the flakes with garlic though, so maybe that will make up for the poor food quality?  I have mostly been feeding him flakes soaked in amino acids (I heard that helps HLLE), and once a week soaking in garlic.  Do you think I should soak in garlic every day?

Here is a full tank pic.... it was taken a few weeks ago.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 11:37pm
I don't see much algae in that tan kfor him to graze on.

Have you tried feeding Nori?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 11:37pm
Have you been feeding him with Dried Algae? They are omnivore, they require algae in their diet. How long do you have you Angel?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 11:40pm
Yep. Everyday, every feeding.

Do you feed nori? If not, grab some from the chinese food section at the grocery store or I have some you can come grab for free. These guys like to graze algae and your tank is still a little bit new for him to get what he needs. Make sure all those damsels aren't picking on him either.

Let me know if you need the nori. I'll be around a bit tomorrow.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 11:41pm
lol. 3 similar posts all at once Tongue
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 1:10am
I have told you this before. Too little algae in the tank for a Pygmy Angel. I would turn off the Hiatt system for a while, allowing more soft algae to grow to feed the fish.

I would not worry about the PO4 level. It's nothing.

I agree with what was said about trashing the idea of a QT and about feeding well and using Garlic Oil once each day.
This is very important: Garlic Oil must be fed daily to help kick the Ich and if one type of Garlic doesn't do the job in 2-3 days, switch to another Garlic Oil.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 9:03am
I have omega one dried seaweed, but the only thing that will eat it are the hermit crabs.  I left it in on a clip until it roted (not really rotted, but fell apart) away, and nothing touched it.  I also put some chaeto in the tank, but nothing ate it.   I can pick up some nori today, but I have my doubts on him eating it.   Even though you can't see it, there is a lot of algae growing on the pipes, and glass where I cannot get my scrapper to.  So there is a little....  < ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">but the flame angel does not eat it (at least that I can see).  The coral beauty (that I gave away) always ate it very well, but I can't get the flame angel to eat anything but flakes... 

Mark, If I shut off the hiatt system, all the bacteria in there will die, so I don't think I can just shut it off for a while, and turn it back on without problems.... plus I may get a big tank cycle since most of my bacterial surface area is in the hiatt system, and I am feeding more than normal.

For now my plan is to soak the food in garlic every day, get some nori stips (maybe he will eat them), and see how it goes.

Thanks all !!

Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 9:16am
Flame angels can be prone to ich.... I agree with the above - feed garlic everyday. There are also different types of flake food..it is not the same as nori but if it is all he will eat, I would try a couple different types to keep his diet varied. Also... are the damsels picking on him? If they bother him that will raise his stress level....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 9:22am
The damsels leave him alone... He used to chase the damsels when the came around, but now they stay away from him.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 9:25am
Ahhh, yes I think that sounds like a reasonable course of action. It is difficult to see that algae in the pic. Embarrassed
Yes, if the FA is not eating the algae growing on surfaces that is a small problem. Some would say that the fish is just like that. I take a different perspective. My viewpoint is that it has become so accustomed to eating sweet dry prepared foods, that it has moved away from eating like it did in the wild. Like a child that has been fed junk food and candy and not trained to eat a balanced diet this fish is becoming less healthy with each meal. It can be difficult to change but it can be done. The key is for the hobbyist to be the parent. Smile

As a footnote, that tank is large enough to support those fish. The problem inherent with an external filter is becoming very evident in this situation. But it can be changed. It is possible to slowly wean the tank of the need for the Hiatt filter. If you do this, the tank will change. More organisms will take up residence in the tank, but this may not be what you want. Disapprove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 10:14am
I just checked my tank this morning, and there is a noticeable difference just from last night  I can only find a couple white dots now.

Can it be due to the one heavy feeding of garlic?  Anyway, I know I am not out of the woods with this thing, so I will keep feeding garlic every day (maybe forever)...
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 11:01am
Thumbs Up
That's the Miracle of Garlic. Clap
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 11:43am
Not to discourage you...but maybe to prepare you...

When my fish have gotten ich, spots were always  considerably less in the morning to late afternoon hours...evening is when they started to show more.....so keep up with the garlic, if the fish rebounds like it has a little, this is a good sign and it should make it just fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic