Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

29g LTA home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 12:31am
I have had my LTA for about 9 months now, and it has always done pretty well, even under my ghetto lights I had to begin with. They are pretty hardy (at least as hardy as bubble tips). I have seen lots of LTA's arrive fairly bleached like yours, and under good conditions they gradually bounce back. The key I think is giving it a good stable environment to settle into. Also, although they do like to bury their foot in the sand, some like to be backed into a little cave on the sand bed with their column diagonal. I would suggest the cave option if yours appears to move around a lot and not settle into one spot after a while.
90G Mixed Reef
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 2:46pm
Thanks for the suggestion. I put a rock arch over it and it seems to be grabbing hold and settling in. I turned on a power head and the LTA is staying put. Hopefully it doesn't wander while I'm away.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 1:38pm
It wandered again. It was leaning against the heater and now that area is melting away. This thing is driving me crazy. It's bad enough that I was unsure if I have a healthy place for it but then for it to come in unhealthy, Angry.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 1:41pm
My only experience is with my RBTA but I find that it likes ledges quite a bit which I have heard about other anems. The other thing I did when it split and part of it started to wander the tank, when it got a spot I really liked I started spot feeding it like crazy throughout the day and it stayed in that spot.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 2:37pm
That method can sometimes help with LTAs, which actually are typically less prone to wander as much as bubble tips.
90G Mixed Reef
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 3:48pm
Was there a reason your heater isn't in the sump?  I always figured one of teh best benefits of a sump was hiding things like a heater in there.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 8:47pm
The heater has been in the tank since I set it up, before the sump was ready. I'm going to be removing it after lights out. I thought it was out of the way and so I didn't remove it. Lesson learned. When nursing a sick anemone back to health, everything is in the way.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 8:58pm
I traded a LTA awhile back and the dang thing melted on me after less than a week this was in my 120g tank. It looked awesome one day and melting the next!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 9:18pm
Once again, my experience with the LTA is that it becomes huge! and eats fish. You honestly would do better to trade it for a nice BTA. Just my 2 cents.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 10:33pm
I setup the tank just for it. I hope it will share it with a pair of clowns and a tail spot blenny. I'm pretty sure the clowns will be fine. I hope the blenny stays away. These and algae are all I plan on adding, besides the CUC. I'm setting up a 40b to keep my corals in.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 1:00am
Is there such a thing as quick ideal reef aquarium?
If you remove the word "quick", I think it's an easier question. But I'm pretty sure I have a quick setup that failed, even though no test could say a number is off, and I don't have pest problems. I recently setup a new system with a bunch of established algae and rock. My thought was that I could make an environment ideal enough to quickly take care of a LTA. The LTAs health on arrival was not good, but I feel bad now because I didn't give it an ideal place to recover and now it is dead. There are many reasons I think that I have a good system. I don't clean my glass and I can still see into the tank after a month is one. Also, the macro algae I placed in the system have receded slightly and are now rebounding. It sucks that I lost one type of algae that I really liked but it seems I don't have enough nutrients for it to do well. I never saw ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates are at zero. Could the system be too low on nutrients? I'm starting to wonder if the old tanks that do so well are because they have a lot of nutrients, but that they are bound up in a lot of life that is happy in a tank. This life can circle around somewhat, just like in nature. New life ends up as another's food. That is what my tank was missing, all the little life. I don't think there is a way to get all that tiny life into a new setup quickly. Having patients is the only way. Arrogance gave me a false sense of ability. I'm still such a newb.

Edited by MadReefer - February 07 2011 at 1:02am
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 1:25am
I am pretty sure you did what you could, there was those little incidents that decided the LTA fate. LTA getting attached to the heater, moving around where there was many potential threats. The anemone did not ship very well like you said and that did not help. I doubt that the system was at fault, but rather the anemone itself.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 9:49am
MadReefer - I think your deductive reasoning is pretty close to the mark.  Older tanks have more "layers" of life because gaps in the nutrient export cycle have had a chance to fill.
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 6:23pm
Bummer! That would have been cool to have saved the LTA, but I guess sometimes they can be really tough if they aren't healthy when you get them. About the nutrients, I think tanks can be too low on nitrates. I test a lot of tanks and very few have 0-2 ppm of nitrate. Most of the ones I see read at anywhere from 20-50 ppm. I know we're typically told that is really high, but many of those tanks are doing very well, and have substantial biology cultures.

Anyway, what's the plan now with the 29G?
90G Mixed Reef
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 1:24am
I moved a rock from my sump to the LTA spot and added a few more corals. A plate I moved to it seems to love it. I have a frag tank hooked to the same system and I"ll probably move some of what is in there to here. Here is what it looks like now.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic