Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoanthid issue..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 7:16am
It looks to me like the rock they are on was covered in sponge and the sponge is dieing off and taking the zoas with it.... I have had this happen a lot lately. I am not sure if this is the only way to handle it but once it starts I usually razor blade the zoas off the rock and glue them to a new one....
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 8:11am
That's an interesting observation Tresa.
Pam, Could that be an issue here?
Thanks for the one pic. Looking forward to more.
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

AS far as parameters all my husband says is they are spot on. I just enjoy the hobby and let him do the work :).
 Yes, we did the toothbrush wash as well and they didn't seem to come out of it from that at all.
As far as parameters, we need to know know what tests were done and what the actual numbers are. If we are to get to the cause of this, we need to know the details.
About the brushing, if I had not asked would you have bothered telling us the result? Please come back to tell us the result of every action you take with regard to the problem. The combined experience of the many people on this MB really can resolve the problem, but only if you provide any information you can think of regarding the Zoanthids.
QuestionThat causes me to ask what the Zoanthids were dipped in? Was it freshwater or an Iodine dip?
QuestionAlso, how long have you had these 2 colonies and where did they come from?
QuestionDid they have any problems on the way to your tank, like being left in the bag for 3+ hours.
Another thought is that they have been sunburned. Going into a brighter lighted tank can burn them.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sitaga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sitaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

QuestionThat causes me to ask what the Zoanthids were dipped in? Was it freshwater or an Iodine dip?

Also, how long were they dipped for?
Tons of livestock including fish, coral, and inverts currently in stock. We also have Reeflo pumps, SeaChem additives, Brine Shrimp Direct foods, and ATI lighting in stock.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 11:53am
Hello Pam and Troy,

My name is Arthur, I live in Tooele and can stop by one night after work if you would like and take a look. I also have a large test kit like the ones they use at the Fish store to test your water if you would like as well. Feel free to give me a call anytime on my cell at 435-830-4514. During the day you might have to leave me a message and I will call you back because I can't have my cell phone in my work area but I do check it throughout the day.

Also here is a good website that shows some of the common hitchikers good and bad!

Questions?
1. Are all your zoo's in the sand or just these? Do you get a lot of sand on the polyps?
2. You meantioned they were just disappearing, do you have emerald crabs or possibly any rock crabs in your tank? What type of crabs do you have?
3. Do they seem to disappear at night? Have you watch to see if anything is messing with them hours after the lights are out?
3. What fish do you have in your tank?
4. Have you seen any string look stuff or any slime or mucus on your zoo's?
5. What size is your tank and how long do you run your lights?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 3:34pm
Ok guys this is getting too overwhelming for me. I will have Troy post tonight or tomorrow when he gets a chance as he is the one that knows more. He is out of town all week.
 Arthur that is so nice of you thank you! I think we will take you up on that offer .

Tresa you might be right because that is what we noticed was there was a substance on the base of the Zoanthids and that was my concern it was something coming from the bottom. I think I will try and get those fragged and put on its own tiles.

Mark, we thought after we did the toothbrush think it would help and we wouldn't have any other issues. Guess not.
That causes me to ask what the Zoanthids were dipped in? Was it freshwater or an Iodine dip? *Iodine*
QuestionAlso, how long have you had these 2 colonies and where did they come from? *Individual on the board.
QuestionDid they have any problems on the way to your tank, like being left in the bag for 3+ hours.  *Less then 1 hour*
Another thought is that they have been sunburned. Going into a brighter lighted tank can burn them. * I don't believe so because they are in our sand bed and the lighting was the same.

We did frag some off when we first got them as they were loose on the rock and those ones are doing great so I am wondering if Tresa is spot on.

1. Are all your zoo's in the sand or just these? Do you get a lot of sand on the polyps? Most of the Zoo's are in the sand.

2. You meantioned they were just disappearing, do you have emerald crabs or possibly any rock crabs in your tank? What type of crabs do you have? Nope none.

3. Do they seem to disappear at night? Have you watch to see if anything is messing with them hours after the lights are out? We have watched them recently and nothing seems to be bothering them.

3. What fish do you have in your tank? 2 clowns
4. Have you seen any string look stuff or any slime or mucus on your zoo's? NO

5. What size is your tank and how long do you run your lights? 110...  7 hours.

Edited by ptronsp - December 06 2010 at 3:37pm
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 6:12pm

Seeing as there are other colonies nearby which are happy I'd say its a fungus or invasive sponge. The sponge would be easily seen in between the polyps. The fungus would show as a dusty slime much like cyano only thinner spread across the polyps. Either way I'd do a Lougals Iodine dip using RO water... This seems to cure more problems in zoanthids than any other solution. You've prolly already gone over those in the previous thread.

-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 1:52pm
you guys are talking about bugs i was looking at some of my polyps that had being closed and i noticed a brown sponge like growing around them it looks kind of like the dirt when the ants build their nest i used a tooth brush to brush it of like mark said and the rock looks clean and the polyps didnt get damaged, so pam you should check if you have this "sponge" looking thing
It's not about what you know but about who you know
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 3:10pm
Here is another photo of the other colony.

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 8:10pm
I agree with doing an iodine dip. It seems to work more than anything else. A couple quick questions about your dosing schedule: Do you dose Iodine/Iodide in your tank? Actual numbers on your parameters would help us to help you more. It also sounds like these polyps have been through a lot of stress with the various treatments. Sometimes it takes them a week or two to recover from being brushed, dipped, moved, etc. Feel free to call me if you need any help with anything 435-830-8855 P.S. I still have TONS of macro for you and I should be around all day Saturday and Sunday this weekend, or if you like I can bring it out to you.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 9:41pm
Thanks Steve. Yea the one colony seems to be doing well so I am hopeful we may have dealt with the problem.

I will have Troy get a hold of you Sat when he is back in town. Thanks so much for the help.
 Pam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 9:52am
Please don't wait for your husband. You can do this, and the sooner the better. Next thing we need is a full tank pic please.

That second pic makes me think it's invasive sponge, not dieing but growing.Shocked It's good to have sponge growing, but we don't like it when the battle results in the death of the loser. Angry
Brushing it off in the sink and then rinsing it under the tap may be my suggested treatment, but only after seeing the entire tank.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 3:19pm
Issue seems resolved. After waiting patiently they are coming out once again :).

Thanks everyone!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 10:55pm
That's a relief, but it might be temporary. That 2nd pic really looks like an invasive sponge problem that could be brushed off.

Funny, I just watched an episode of Star Trek - Enterprise where the alien organism looked almost exactly like that kind of sponge.
http://www.allstepisodes.com/googlevideodatabase.php?n=5122
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 2:19pm
Oh Mark my friend.. you watch too much Tv...*grins*
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 9:27am
I'm not a Trekkie/Trekker but I love space sci-fi. For the past few months I've been going back and watching episodes of Star Trek online. This one just happened to be next in line. Smile
My wife teases(complainsConfused) that I'm addicted to this, along with a few other things, like this MB. LOL
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 10:01pm
Wink I feel your pain!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic