Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zoanthid issue..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zoanthid issue..
    Posted: December 05 2010 at 3:58pm
Ok guys a few weeks ago I posted having problems with my Zoas and I couldn't figure out why they were not opening and dying off.
 Today I noticed little like bugs like this going in and out of my huge colony of Zoanthids that I am now losing. There are a ton of them on there but I don't know what it is?? We did a dip on these two particular colony's and it doesn't seem to have helped. PLEASE HELP!

Pam
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 4:05pm
Oh and the lights are on and I can see them all over.. it's not at night.Troy and I have looked it up and they appear to be amphipods? That's what they look the most like. They are so tiny it's hard. Sorry to sound so dumb.

Edited by ptronsp - December 05 2010 at 4:13pm
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 4:24pm
this is happening to mine to but mine arent deing so i dont know maybe the light? 

oh and did you took the maroon clown?
It's not about what you know but about who you know
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 4:28pm
I don't really think they are actually eating them or anything I think they are just annoying them to the point they are not opening and are dying off.. who knows.. I am frustrated because all of my other Zoanthids are doing great it's just these two in particular and of course they are my largest colonies. Ugh.

Yes, we went and picked up the maroon yesterday.. she is HUGE.. she is loving the tank with her tiny little companion..my little maroon is about 1 1/2 inches and she is a monster but they love each other.. why Davser?
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 4:56pm
What color are the bugs and what type of lighting do you have.  If they are pods I would think they would be fine.  Maybe annoyed but should not be dying off.  If they are pods I would think it would be another cause.  Are they melting or disappearing when they die?
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 4:58pm
They are brownish white bugs. The zoas when they dye off seem to just disappear.Also out lights are MH 150 and the zoas are in the sand bed of the tank on rocks.

Edited by ptronsp - December 05 2010 at 5:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 5:03pm
If they are disappearing I would suspect some sort of predator in your tank is eating them unless the bug is something else.  Do they look like little shrimp or more sluggish like?  If they are shrimpish probably a pod and if sluglike may be some sort of zoa eating flatworm
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 5:37pm
just wondering because i wanted it to Smile i hope your corals get better mine are closed to
It's not about what you know but about who you know
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 6:51pm
Do you dose iodine? Or you can just do an iodine/iodide dip.... has saved a few of my zoa colonies
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 6:57pm
We dose with Vibrance? Also my husband said more shrimp looking. He also did a iodine dip today. I am just sick about it. The one rock was full of watermelons well over 100 and we are down to half and they won't open :(
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 7:06pm
Do they look like this?

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/mobile-inverts/42248-zoanthid-eating-nudibranch.html

or this:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/mantisfreak/nudiandpenny.jpg

I was losing zoanthids like crazy then I noticed these little guys. I sucked about 5 off 1 colony, but quickly realized I couldn't keep up. That's when I bought my yellow coris wrasse and now I don't have the problem.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 7:22pm
Neither one :(!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 7:25pm
If you buy some sort of wrasse they will take care of them in a hurry.  Does not really matter what they are.  They are awesome for getting rid of little pests.  My sixline quickly takes little guys like this out.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 8:37pm
perhaps if you can take a the best pic if you can, or perhaps if you can sketch the bug to your best knowledge
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 9:38pm
When you dip them do you pull all your zoas and dip them? I know when mine were having issues that's what I was told to do not just the ones being effected. And as said wrasses are awesome little bug eaters:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 10:28pm
Yep we dipped them all. We already have a 6 line Wrasse?? 
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 10:34pm
my sixline didn't touch the nudi's I had.. the coris wrasse took care of it
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 10:46pm
That is interesting Ben.. good to know. Thank you everyone for all your suggestions!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2010 at 11:48pm
In the other thread we helped you see that the snails, stars and worms you thought were a problem were all good but we never really got around to discussing the Zoanthid problem. Now we are working on a certain bug, a "shrimp looking thing". Here is the common Grammerus/Amphipod. Does it look anything like this?

The head and antennae are on the right. They are usually about 1/4 inch but I have seen some up to 1/2 inch long. Sometimes the grammerus stretches out as it crawls around. It does not harm anything but eats dead flesh, algae, leftover food and detritus. If Grammerus is not what you see, then we need to keep going to find the cause.

In the other thread we never saw a pic of the Zoanthids, yet we have crossed off a few animals that are not the problem. At this point we really need to stay on this if we are to help you save the zoanthids. Please post some pics or email them to [email protected] They do not have to be show quality pics, even just cell phone pics can often give us what we need to know. Please provide a pic of the entire tank and a closer shot of the problem zoanthids.
Did we already talk about brushing the zoanthids with a toothbrush?
Also, please give some information about water parameters.
Thanks,
Mark

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 06 2010 at 12:07am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2010 at 1:39am

AS far as parameters all my husband says is they are spot on. I just enjoy the hobby and let him do the work :).
 Yes, we did the toothbrush wash as well and they didn't seem to come out of it from that at all.

I will take more pics tomorrow.

Edited by ptronsp - December 06 2010 at 1:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic