Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FOUND a decent camera for around $300

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FOUND a decent camera for around $300
    Posted: December 06 2010 at 10:22pm
I need a better camera to take tank shots - especially close ups.

Would like "Santa" to only spend around $300 - $350

Help me chose a decent option in this price range!

Edited by BobC63 - February 27 2011 at 10:47pm
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 6:44am
I always liked my Kodak before I got my Cannon.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 8:37am
i love cannon or nikon i think those are the best two brands you can get i used to shoot a cannon rebel (which i sold because of this hobbyLOL) no complaints about it my dad bought a casio and it sucks 
It's not about what you know but about who you know
ClarkWGrizwald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClarkWGrizwald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 11:25am
Hey Bob, I think the best bang for ur buck right now are the sony dslr's. Go check them out at inkleys. U will b super impressed
Chris Erickson
pgravis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgravis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 12:34pm
My wife does professional photography and shoots with Nikons, but in our research for an easy travel camera we have been amazed by the canon point and shoots. You should look into the canon g12 (new model, but a bit pricey) or the g10 or g11 (used)   great "almost" professional quality in a point and shoot for $500.    you can also get a waterproof casing for those in-tank shots.    They are pretty sweet.   But really any canon is going to give you great results.
See my house: www.eclecticvictorian.com
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 12:51pm
For a point and shoot I would go with one of these.
They shoot HD video, waterproof, and take really nice pictures.
If you are going for a DSLR Personally I would go with a nikon but that is just my preference.  Canons make really nice SLRs too.  You cant really go wrong with either brand in SLR.  And like said previously in point and shoots I think canon makes nicer ones over nikon.  I love nikon but their point and shoots just dont take as nice pictures as the canons.  But I do like the olympus from the link better than the other point and shoots.  It has been my favorite by far even over the canons.  Hope that helps.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 6:49pm

The boss bought me Fugifim XP. The thing is waterproof, Dustproof, freezeproof and shockproof. Basically it's the on peice of electornics that is Gregproof. It's already been through the washing machine, dropped off the ski lift and dunked into the aquarium repeatedly. Could do a lil better in terms of super macro shots but thats prolly more due to a shaky hand than anything.
In SLC Near Downtown
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 6:59pm
Still haven't made up my mind Confused

Currently looking at used cameras (trying for more 'bang for the buck')

If you had to choose between these 2:

- Canon EOS Rebel 300D, 6.3 MP, Canon 18-55mm lens, UV filter, 3 batteries / charger, 2 GB card

- Nikon D100, 6.0 MP, Nikor 28-200 mm AF telephoto lens, 2 batteries / charger, 8 GB card and camera bag

Which of these 2 would you choose - and why?

(Or would you go in a different direction altogether?)

P.S. The Nikon is $75 more than the Canon.

bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 8:30pm
Someone in the club posted a Canon XS for sale for 3-400 bucks not that long ago. Within the last week. You may see if they still have it. They only used it once and it is just sitting in their camper or something was their comment.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 8:34pm
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45388&KW=canon
28g Cube

Brandon in West Jordan
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by ClarkWGrizwald ClarkWGrizwald wrote:

Hey Bob, I think the best bang for ur buck right now are the sony dslr's. Go check them out at inkleys. U will b super impressed

i got a sony and love it if only i had some macro lens and the wife didn't have a leash on it lol
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 10:25pm
Guys -

I appreciate all the suggestions... I really do.

BUT...  decent camera for around $300

The Sony DSLRs start at $400 (Alpha A-290L) at Inkleys - and that model is out of stock on their site w/ no estimated in-stock date. The cheapest Sony model in-stock at Inkleys is er $529 Ouch for just camera and base lens.

I tried Sony at Walmart but they only have the A-290L in a 'bundle' with a 2nd lens for $549 - they have the Nikon D3000 and the Canon Rebel EOS both at $500 as their cheapest  DSLRs.

I'm figuring to stay around $300 I will need to shop used Embarrassed

Hence the question above, regarding the 2 used cameras I was thinking about...

Anybody have an opinion or experience with either of those 2 cameras?

I am leaning towards the Nikon, but would love a 2nd or 3rd opinion.

And too bad Mike Savage isn't around anymore Unhappy

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 12:58am
either one would be a good camera cannon and nikon are the best brands IMO i personaly would go with the cannon because thats the camera i had and it shoots really nice and its easy to undertand
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2010 at 1:18pm
Hey Bob, I suggest you go with the Nikon.  Just looks like more flexibility.  Just for your information, Nikon is all I shoot.  Wink
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 7:30pm
Hey guys -

In the end I decided to put off the purchase until Income Tax time, so as to allow "Santa" a little more in the budget LOL

But thanks for all the advice anyway !

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 10:57pm
How's this for a great deal?

Picked up a Sony A200 DSLR (w/ just 1800 shutter activations) off of KSL with not 1, not 2, not even 3... but 4 lenses (a telephoto, a zoom macro, a wide angle and a multi-use), battery, charger, original box with owner's manual and software, brand new unopened 4 GB card, camera bag, cleaning kit and full-size tripod...

All this for only...

$325   ShockedShockedShocked

I feel a little like "Mike Savage Jr" now LOL

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2011 at 11:05pm
nice camera cant wait to see some pics 
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2011 at 7:14am
Good for you! Now lets see some eye candy!
28g Cube

Brandon in West Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic