Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sump with out drilling tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sump with out drilling tank?
    Posted: December 07 2010 at 2:41pm
can i  add a sump to my 50 gallon tank with out having having to drill the tank? if so about how much would it be with decent supplies
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 3:02pm
yes you can... Price, that depends on what you want to do...  A DIY overflow with a rubbermaid tub would be about $50, if you do it right the first time.  If you buy an overflow, get an acrylic sump with protein skimmer, calcium reactor.... it can get expensive.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 3:23pm
Yes you can.  I am assuming you are not concerned about building the actual sump, but about the mechanism for getting the water from your tank to the sump without a hole in your tank.  You can use a siphon overflow box (do a google search).   That said I would NOT use one.  They are prone to failure and almost always result in tank water on your floor.  I know there will be people that will reply, mine works great, but they seem to always fail.  Some take a month others take years, but they are a disaster waiting to happen IMHO.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 5:15pm
I like the rubbermaid idea but i have no idea how to make one i like the ones chad has
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 5:43pm
A siphon overflow is about the only way to go. whether it's a box or a DIY version.

Like Jake said they can be probe to failure so be on top of your maintenance with it and you should be ok.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 6:20pm
well if they really do the mess that jake is talking about then i would just leave the skimmer that i have now Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 6:22pm
Here is a picture of my rubbermaid sump...

And here is my overflow...

davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 6:30pm
that is awesome davidwillis, i have under two years of experience and everything i know is what i have found out on my own, this might sound dumd but what are supplies you need for a sump like that and also i see that it is on another room and i was planing to put it under the tank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 7:17pm
rubbermaind tub
hose barb fittings ( used them to go through the side of the tub, just to keep it clean looking).
I use a float valve to auto-fill (but I don't leave it on all the time just in case it doesn't shut off)
return pump
hoses
I put some curshed coral in, but you don't need that.
you could put some algea in (I have some now, that pic was older).

Edit:

you can see more of my setup with videos, and pics here:

Edited by Davidwillis - December 07 2010 at 7:19pm
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2010 at 9:32pm
If you're interested, I am selling a 20 gallon sump with overflow box and plumbing for really cheap.  I also have a small skimmer, and a couple of different return pumps to choose from.  Check out my KSL ad:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=13422287&cat=371
Let me know if you're interested in any of it and we can talk.  This sump setup worked great for my 55.
90G Mixed Reef
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 4:58pm
If you are going to go with the overflow box (that just sounds bad to begin with, doesn't it! Ouch) be aware that there is more than one way for it to fail.  Build in as many safeguards as you can.

Make sure your sump can *always* handle all the water that your overflow box will deliver if the pump is off.  If your sump is too full, when the pump turns off, dies, power outage, then the water from the overflow box will overflow your sump.

1. Loss of siphon.  For whatever reason, water is no longer flowing down to the sump.  depending on the configuration of the sump, different things can result.  First is that the pump will run dry when the sump is emptied.  Most pumps hate that.  Second, most tanks couldn't handle all the sump water in them, meaning it would likely flood over the side of the tank.

2. Siphon won't break.  Most pumps will allow water to "seep" backwards through them when they are off, so if your water nossle in the tank is mid-level, you could potentially drain down until that loses siphon.  You can drill siphon breaks (small holes in the line below the water line) to keep the tank from draining into the sump if the pump stops working.  Those require maintenance because coraline, snails and whatever can block them.  Gate valves between the pump and tank that prevent reverse flow are great.

If you are going to do an ATO, there are a whole new set of things to look out for.  come back here if you are going to do it.
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:23pm
I've never done it, and it might not be possible, but you might ask to see what people think are the least invasive ways to drill your tank without killing any of your livestock.

In the long run, I really think you'll be happier and have more peace of mind with a drilled tank.
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:27pm
50 gallon tanks are very common and inexpensive used.  It really may be worth it to try.  I decided against drilling my 90g because at the time, if it broke, I was out of the game for a while.  I've been sumpless for 18 months.

Do I wish I had a sump?  Just about every day.

Do I wish I'd tried drilling it?  No.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:47pm
Drilling your own tank is not very hard. I was very nervous when I first started drilling them, go slow and take your time don't push like you normally would just let the bit do the cutting. In fact the first tank I ever drilled I drained it half way and drilled away, it still had my livestock in itTongue take a look at www.glass-holes.com they have simple overflow boxes that are easy to install, or call me and I could build you one either way they are a simple and easy overflow.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2010 at 11:58pm
If you do decide to drill, use a good bit (not the cheapest) and use a corded drill on the highest rpm setting.
90G Mixed Reef
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 12:32am
Corded drill. Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 9:13am
I drilled my old 55 with a round grinding stone connected to a drill... It took me 3 hours, and I don't recommend that way...LOL  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2010 at 3:13pm
I agree that drilling a tank is the safer way to go, but I do have a document where I show how to make your own Simple Overflow, including how to check for proper operation and how to avoid floods. Let me know if you want it by emailing me at [email protected]. I'll reply with the document attached.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic