Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first reef tank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 10:47pm
I found the problem with the lights.  The three wires, from the cord that plugs into the outlet, black, green, white, were not getting a good connection.  During the troubleshooting process I noticed the bad connection in the connector that plugs into the ballast.  I was able to make the lights come on and go off by messing with the connector.  I also seen it shorting when I moved the connector.  Upon further review, I was able to see the black wire was not making a good connection.  I then discovered the white wires connection was also compromised.  A little more homework and I think I will be able to get this fixed without a visit from any of you that offered up your assistance.

Thanks
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 9:54am
Im glad its that simple!!Big smile
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 7:16pm
Well I am taking baby steps but, things are starting to come together.  The tile is in place where the tank will sit.  Tyler is building me a custom sump.  I ordered some marco rock and it shipped today, and I also purchased my skimmer.  

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa176/phinfan1962/IMG_0018.jpg

more pics to come
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 7:41pm
Nice! I think you will like your skimmer. I just bought a vertex about 2 weeks ago. So far I have been very happy with it.
Life is good....right?
skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 9:57am
Welcome to the sight ... The best advice I ever recieved that has proven for me is to take it slow... Enjoy!!
120 gallon mix Reef mainly SPS and LPS...
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 10:26pm
Well, my Marco rock arrived today. Sump is still under construction, thanks Tyler. I placed my sand in the tank and made my first attempt at my aqua scape.  I will have to look at it for a bit to see if it grows on me.  I will see if I can get some pictures tomorrow.  Critics welcome.  Is there anything I need to keep in mind as I make my final decisions with rock placement?
skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 9:33am

My 2 cents would be keep it far enough away from your glass so you can get a cleaner around it and keep as much off the sand bed as possible...

120 gallon mix Reef mainly SPS and LPS...
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 9:53am
And stack it so you have very little touching the sand, so you can get water flow over most of your sand.
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 10:33am
Originally posted by skimace7 skimace7 wrote:

My 2 cents would be keep it far enough away from your glass so you can get a cleaner around it and keep as much off the sand bed as possible...

+1 
I looked all over the different reef sites for pictures of other peoples that i really liked so I could get more ideas. I tried to leave enough space between my glass and rocks so that I'll have room for some coral to grow out and still be able to get my magnet cleaner by it. I also used acrylic rods and some of that aquarium putty stuff to do my rockscape. I would make sure you love it before you fill it with water. its a lot easier to change it with no water in there. Im kinda jealous... this was one of my favorite parts of setting up my tank Thumbs Up
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic