Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Tank ^_^

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luisc344 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luisc344 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Tank ^_^
    Posted: December 12 2010 at 7:10pm
Hoping to learn lots from everyone around here ^_^ I just started a 16G bow-front reef tank and have acquired a good number of coral, i will have to take some more time to list them all and post pictures (still need to figure out how to get them on here from my ipod) But so far my local store owner has been awesome (I have gone to Aquatica in orem) ad i am learning lots. I am just hoping i didnt overdo the coral in the tank, so far they all look really good, but i have lots to learn. 
So hi for now and looking forward to getting to know you all better ^_^
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 7:22pm
Welcome to the best reef club in Utah! Heck the best in the West!

Shawn at Aquatica is good people. He won't steer you wrong. I live in Orem as well and am often in his shop. Speaking of which since I am in Orem if you ever wanted to stop by and get some tips, see some tanks, or ever talk fish feel free to come and stop by!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 7:23pm
Welcome!!! And yes Shawn at Aquatica is awesome and always helpful!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 8:46pm
Welcome to a great club -- lots of people here to help you and ask questions.

I wouldn't rush into filling your tank with corals and fish to quickly -- take your time, go slow, read and learn from others.  You don't want to wake up and find things dead.

just my 2 cents.

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful hobby.  Thumbs Up

Linn
Luisc344 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luisc344 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2010 at 9:24pm
Some pictures of my tank... I must also say i have had help from a great friend to set it all up. I have a different flow pump and have moved things around a bit but you get the idea ^_^

Full Tankgreen star pollyp and neone green guy :Pmaxima clamHammerhead and ?Finger leather
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:54am
It looks pretty good. what kind of light and filtration do you have?

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 2:07am
dang that looks better than my first ever reef tank. congrats what kind of lights are you running?
Luisc344 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luisc344 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 3:52am
Thanks for the comments, to answer your questions:
I have a Current light fixture with six 18w T5s 2blue and 4white. 
My filter is just a penguin power filter with carbon, bio wheel and phosguard. 
Any suggestions on how to improve on the system? I have thought a sump and skimmer setup might be good but idk with this small a tank if its worth the expense, etc.
Thanks ^_^
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 8:51am

You are off to a good start. Is the friend that helped you also on this MB?

In response to the question about filtration, you indicated a HOB(Hang On the Back) filter. In time you will learn that 85%, or more, of the filtration of a reef aquarium is the LR, LS, LW and Algae.
LR=Live Rock, LS=Live Sand, LW=Live Water - see "Reefkeeping Tips" below for more on this.
It appears that you added some LR from another established tank. Am I right? Did you also use some LS from another tank?
When did you set up this aquarium? If I were to guess, I'd say it looks like 3-5 weeks ago.

Take a look at the main rock that came from another tank. Especially visible near the base of the close up pic of the Finger Leather Coral is the beginning of an algae problem. You may already know this, but see that green fuzzy algae starting to grow there? That's Hair Algae. It is the beginning of a problem. It has already covered most of that rock. If you act now, you can get control of that before it gets out of hand. Here's how:

Are there at least 25 snails and 10 Hermit Crabs in this aquarium? If not, I would suggest adding that amount ASAP. The best snails are Astrea, Margarita and Cerith. Red or Blue Leg Hermit Crabs are the most common and both work very well.

I assume that the Phosguard is to try and stop the growth of that hair algae. That's helpful but not enough. A reef tank needs herbivores, especially snails, to keep things in check/in balance. Phosban should not be used continuously but Snails and Hermits always need to be there, just like in the wild. Later on in the life of the tank, only about 5 Hermits will be needed, and more or less snails will be needed depending on other conditions.

Below, in my signature line is a link to some very good reading on how to keep a healthy and beautiful reef aquarium.
Again, welcome to the WMAS.

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 14 2010 at 8:44am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 10:51pm
Welcome to a wonderful club!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:39am
Looks good Man =) and it Looks like those Nuclear Green and Purple Death frags are doing well too

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 8:47am
You may notice that by coming here, you not only get pats on the back, but you get straight up, honest and forthright feedback to help you keep a better reef aquarium for the long term. Smile
Luisc344 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luisc344 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:49am
Thanks nick, those guys are doing great ^_^

To answer your questions, i am not sure if Taylor is on this MB, i will have him sign up if he isn't!

I do have a hang on back filter, and i have about 10 snails and 10 hermit crabs, its what came in a cleaner pack along with a blue crab and a "sand sifting" cucumber that hates being on the sand, haha.

The snails are eating the algae up pretty well. Should i be getting like 10 more snails then?

I did set my tank up with LR, LS and water from my friend's well established tank (i think 1+ years) But i still waited about 4 weeks to get my first fish in (six line wrasse)(2 weeks for 2 green chroma) And i just added a b/w clown at the 5 week mark, so I'm at 6 weeks now.
(Sadly the wrasse and one chroma were caught on the power head, like weeks apart, so i ended up getting a different kind)

A will always welcome tips and suggestions, here to learn ^_^
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:56am
Welcome luisc344! Good to have you here!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 4:31pm
I see some Astrea Snails. I'd get at least 5 more, plus 5 Margarita and 5 Cerith Snails. There's nothing worse than a new hobbyist being surprised with "hair algae gone wild". Shocked
It's a bugger to get back under control.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic