Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photography Night!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photography Night!
    Posted: December 13 2010 at 12:44am
I was hoping we could arrange some sort of photography night soon.... like the kind Mike Savage used to do =) where he would help show people how to take great pics...

I still have a hard time taking full tank shots. but recently with my last semester of school just ending I have a bit more free time =) anyway Id be willing to host at my house, Id buy the Pizza etc

just wondering who would want in and what days would work for you?
and if anyone out there would be willing to volunteer to help out =)?

Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 12:50am
Nick, keep us updated--I'd be interested in coming to learn and giving you a hand.  I'm good wed-sat with some advance notice (so I can plan and make arrangements with my wife).
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:05am
Sounds good, also curious on your thoughts about taking pics on an led tank have you figured that one out yet?

Hoping to get Brad Syphus to come and maybe get people like
Chad and Jwoo to bring their wifes (I remember those two being really into photography) PhotoGlen? have you been practicing on tanks much =)?

anyone else that has a camera that's constantly taking pics of tanks!

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:17am
I'd love to help out man and learn some stuff. When were you thinking? 

I'm still trying to figure out this Canon 7D my work lets me use. I get some good shots but I think I need to get filters for it, or something. So some lessons on using a DSLR would be cool.

That said, I'm pretty good figuring out point-and-shoots so I could totally help people out with that. Plus I did take Mikes course when he was doing them and I'd love to pass along all I learned.

Let me know when and if you want me.

Here is one I got of my powder blue with the 7D. It's a great shot but I'm not getting good shots of coral. For those I stick with my ancient Olympus C750.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - December 13 2010 at 1:35am
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:35am
Yeah Micah for sure, have you ever made it up this way before yet?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:38am
Nope, but I know your in Sandy.

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:44am
I love AV mode on my Canon 50d for taking fish pics, brings out the most natural colors IMO. I don't use too many point and shoot so can't help there.
I'm a photographer but I hate all the technical stuff;)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 1:49am
Nick--the best thing I've found for fixing the LED shots is in iPhoto to use the edit, the the adjust and drag the slider for black, white, and midpoints all the way to the left.  This tells me it's probably a white balance issue.  

I do shoot all my shots in auto, no flash though.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
RandyVB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyVB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 5:46am
I would love to learn how to take pics of fish( and corals) . Especially while they're still in the tank. Right now I'm available anytime (hopefully that changes soon). 
Yep, that's my money pit......It keeps me broke and entertained.
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 7:19am
Mike Savage was such a great resource to the club for stuff like this. He took some great photos! Great photo of the tang! I'd be interested in a photogaphy night. I'll bring my canon rebel xs.
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 3:33pm
Also if anyone wants to just come mess around with their cameras Id be more than willing to have an open house

salt king View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salt king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:01pm
Nick this is Rich Im a bit of a photgrapher. would like to help.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:03pm
yeah that would be awesome
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:49pm
Hey just saw that this thread got bumped. Lets do this Nick - I don't think it ever happened right?
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:58pm
yeah its still never happened,
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 11:36pm
Nick, I might be interested.  I have been trying different techniques and found a few that work well.  I shoot a Nikon D-300 at home but a Nikon D3X at work.  I like to shoot in full Manual mode with a tripod and just play around.  A big problem shooting in a tank is the color of lights, so what I like to do is shoot two of the same picture but in one of the images I place a white object and this gives me a set point to adjust to.  I then apply those settings to the first image I shot.  Works like a charm.  Using longer lenses zoomed in also helps with Field of View.  Another big problem is taking a fast enough photo to stop the image blur, I have found if I change my ISO to a faster setting I don't need as much light therefore a faster shutter speed.  I have more ideas so let me know what is going on.  Here is one of mine of my tank.
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2011 at 8:24pm
I would be down for this lets do it! I have a Canon Rebel t1i and am new to photography so this would be fun. Lets do who wants to help me plan a night?
220 G SPS Display.

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 4:55pm
I am very interested.  Let me know if anything solid becomes arranged.  I have a great camera, just need to learn how to use it.
jcoulter17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcoulter17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 5:29pm
I'm interested, so when is this going to happen?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2011 at 2:49pm
You asked for it.... you got it!  Details coming very soon...

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic