Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I finally won.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I finally won.
    Posted: December 13 2010 at 7:55pm
It's been a long battle, but I am thinking I have finally got my tank back to where I'm happy again.Tongue
I've been battling bryopsis, manjano's, and cyano for well over a year, and now I can say that my tank is clear and I am happy to sit down and not criticize.
Happy days are here again.Big smile

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 7:57pm
Looks great, nice job Clap
90 gallon mixed reef
dons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 8:03pm
WOW!  Looks beautiful, congratulations and a  battle well foughtClap
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 8:38pm
Brad -

How did you handle the cyano?

I am starting to get a bit on the sandbed in places... ever since I rearranged the aquascaping. And it is making me Angry because I don't think it is a flow problem; I have a Koralia 3 blowing 4 inches above the sandbed and a bunch of little cyano patches directly in the path of the K3 flow
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 8:38pm
Congrats BradClap  Man won!!  I would love to see more pictures. 
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 8:44pm
What an amazing tank. I bow to your reefing abilities!

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 9:45pm
Beautiful as always Brad :)
One day I will win too..... between the hair algae and cyano I am getting pretty irritated.... I would love my sand to be white again!
Oh and your frag is doing great... let me know when you want it back :)
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Brad -

How did you handle the cyano?

I am starting to get a bit on the sandbed in places... ever since I rearranged the aquascaping. And it is making me Angry because I don't think it is a flow problem; I have a Koralia 3 blowing 4 inches above the sandbed and a bunch of little cyano patches directly in the path of the K3 flow

I tried doing more waterchanges, more flow and finally bowed to chemiclean.  Worked great.
Bryopsis-- 2 1/2 gallons of tech M over a month.
Manjanos and aptasia--  I swore I wouldn't try them again 2 yrs ago. But I added a Kleins B/F and this time he has been a champ.

Some happy coral pics.

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 10:18pm
What a beautiful tank! Nice job!
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:38pm
Hey Brad how long have you had the mag up with the Kent Tech M? I found that it would always come back until the last time I did it. The last time I put got the mag up around 1800 for a month which killed the bryopsis. I then dosed on a weekly basis keeping it near 1600-1700 with Kent Tech M for four months. I have now been bryopsis free for a year. Before that it would start coming back in months 3-4.

Ended up being pretty expensive and I have a small tank!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:46pm
Beautiful.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:21am
a war well fought. congrats your tank looks awsome as ever
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:26am
Brad what was the winning move? 2-3 gallons at once or ? just keeping it slow and steady at a high mag?
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:33am
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Hey Brad how long have you had the mag up with the Kent Tech M? I found that it would always come back until the last time I did it. The last time I put got the mag up around 1800 for a month which killed the bryopsis. I then dosed on a weekly basis keeping it near 1600-1700 with Kent Tech M for four months. I have now been bryopsis free for a year. Before that it would start coming back in months 3-4.

Ended up being pretty expensive and I have a small tank!

To tell you the truth, I haven't dosed any more Tech M since all of the bryobsis died off. And I had a lot of it.   I'll have to keep a close eye on it and make sure it doesn't start back up.

Nick, I added 2 gallons in 2 weeks and then a half gallon after that untill it started dieing off.  I haven't added any since.
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 7:58am
The only suggestion I would make is that it looks a little crowded. I think the only way to fix it would be to break off some large pieces of those horrible acros and sell them to me.....and that green ?chalice just needs to go..... :)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 8:58am
Big smile Thumbs Up

I'm surprised that you were having a problem with Cyano, with all the extra filtration units installed. Confused I assume the Macro was growing fast in the Refugium and the Skimmer was operational. Was the Sulfur Denitrator running well during all of this? Reduced feeding?
How long ago was the Chemiclean treatment? Sorry for all the questions, but I would like to learn from your experience.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:23am
Hi Mark
The chemiclean was used just about 3 weeks ago.   I always have a small amount of it in my tank because I Do feed all the time.  But to keep all of my fish , including my 7 angels happy, and not go for my coral I feed 4-5 times a day. It had just gotten out of control this time  because I had gotten lazy and hadn't nipped it in the butt when there was small amounts.  My skimmer works great, but macro doesnt grow very fast at all in my refugium, never has.  Bio-Denitrator is working well but it is probably time to hit Randy up for some new sulphur beads.  They are over a year old.
But the cyano was the least of my worries compared to the major outbreak of bryopsis and manjanos.  But the Kleins came through and Tech M worked just like they said it would this time.  You need to stop by sometime and we can catch up more.Smile
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:24am
Tresa,  You will be the first to know when that day comes.Wink
335G Reef
TOTM.

&
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:41am
And now for the fish pix.Big smile

335G Reef
TOTM.

&
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 11:04am
As always, looks incredible. I think any of us would welcome the "problems" you have felt with, just to have a tank half that nice. I have that piece you wanted. Also I redid the show tank, you will have to stop by and check it out, of you ever get some free time.

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic