Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 11:13pm
A sump provides extra space and water where you can facilitate additional filtration.  You can have LS and LR in there, as well as macro algae.  A drilled tank is made to run with a sump.  You just need a return pump to get the water back to the tank and a few plumbing features.

A tank with a sump maintains a constant water level in the display - the level goes down in the sump, makeing it the perfect place to have an auto top-off (ATO).  You can hide things like probes, thermostats, heaters etc there, instead of in the display.  You can also keep critters in a sump that can't live in the display due to the fish etc you keep there.  It's a "refuge" for these beneficial critters - hence the term "refugium."

I have a sump for my large FW tank, but not for my 90g SW Confused - if you have a choice to get a drilled or "reef ready" tank, I think it's by far the best way to go.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 11:19pm
Welcome!!

A sump can be as easy as a tank that is placed under the main tank that has a pump in it. Most people add all the stuff they don't want to be seen in it. I like to have a big space for a refugium in my sumps.
FlooringGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlooringGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 11:55pm
I bought a Oceanic Bio 29 HQI last month.  A couple things I like about the new HQI vs. Old Models or JBJ are:

The light is mounted above instead of enclosed in the tank.  This makes it so that your tank doesnt get as hot.  The Nano's that they have at the Aquarium all have chillers because of the heat problem from enclosed lights.

I also like how it has a window in the refugium compartment.  It made it really easy to mount the jbj led lights in that area.  It is really helping my growth.

The 3 compartments in the back seem to work perfect for what you need.

It also comes with a protein skimmer.

You are welcome to come see mine anytime.  

I also bought this brand new online for only $380 shipped.
Call me for Carpet, Tile, or Hardwood. (801) 263-9600
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2010 at 12:14am
Oh I forgot to mention, us salt water nerds have an acronym for almost everything. Since I had a really hard time with it as first, here is a run down-

LFS- Local Fish Store
SPS- Small Polyp Stony (most branching or plating coral fall under that group)
LPS- Large Polyp Stony (corals with big "head")
LR- Live Rock
LS- Live Sand
LBTR- Lake Bonneville Tufa Rock (a local rock that works pretty good in place of LR... and it's free!)

I'm sure there are a ton more but thats all I can think of for now. If you want I can show you my system when your back from vacation. I'm in North Salt Lake. Oh and since your in Roy, go check out Aquatic Dreams. They are a retail marine aquatic store near you and their staff is very knowledgeable.

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Studboyt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studboyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 10:46pm
I have the Biocube 29 HQI and love it. Mine is in the basement and I have 0 overheating problems.
Here is a recent pic.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic