Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello World

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
zero79cool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero79cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello World
    Posted: December 16 2010 at 2:25pm
I am looking to get into the saltwater hobby. I have been running freshwater for years now and I think its time to make the leap to saltwater. I am thinking about buying a Biocube but I am unsure about what size I should get. I would like either a 29 gal for my house or maybe a 8 or 14 gal for my office. I asked a few questions about a 29 gal at my LFS and he said that pretty much right out of the box you can run some fish and corals (as long as the water is stable). I am in love with a lot of the nano/pico tanks I have been seeing lately but I think I should start out with something a little bigger for my first setup. I dont have a lot of room in my house for a big tank (50 gal - 125 gal) even though that is what I would like. I was also thinking about running a little 10 gal I have laying around but I dont know the first thing about where to start. I would really like any suggestions. 
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 2:31pm
WELCOME! This is the best site in the sale water world!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 2:32pm
Any of those all in one cube tanks is a great way to go.  They really are just plug and play and you can get rolling with corals and then fish in no time.  I've seen lots of people start out with them, and with great success.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero79cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 2:56pm
Cool, I think I just might go with the Biocube. Any suggestions on what one I should lean towards? A JBJ or Oceanic cube?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 3:28pm
Welcome!

I have 2 29 Bio Cubes and love them. That said, the smaller you go on any tank size the more often they need to be maintained. Something to be aware of- A HUGE problem with all nanos is top-off. Fresh water constantly needs to be poured into the system due to evaporation. BC's are a little better about this because they have a hood but I'm always topping off mine. Think about it, the more the water evaporates, the more salt concentrates into the water causing large shifts in salinity and that stresses out fish and coral. Also I would recommend only topping off RO water. I tried the whole tap water thing and it caused big problems with hair algae.

IMHO bigger is better especially for noobs. If your willing to put in the time though and be vigilant about top-off and water changes you'll be ok. 

Oh and steer clear of light loving coral unless you get an HQI nano. They will eventually melt in the normal BC's. Stick with Zoanthids, Ricordias, softies and so on. There are some SPS's and LPS's that will work great in a Nano but do your research before you buy.

Good luck!

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - December 16 2010 at 3:32pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 3:39pm
I agree bigger better. I do disagree I have a JBJ and love it. I have only topped of once in 6 months. I do have a hood on it.

I would say if you can go with a 45 gallon tank or even a 30 with sump. Other wise a 29 gallon jbj or biocube will do you fine!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero79cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 4:08pm
What about water? Should I mix my own or buy from a LPS? Can I buy RO water from my LPS also? What would I have to buy to make my own RO water on the cheap if there is such a thing. How long should I cycle the tank before adding fish/corals? What is a good rule of thumb about how much live rock and sand vs. tank size? Sorry for all the questions.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 4:22pm
Most LFS have it free if not its usually like .25 a gallon?? To make your own RO water you would have to get an RO/DI usually $100 for a good one. Most people mix there own water but you can def. buy it at some of the LFS.
Cycle will that all depends Mark has a great thread that would answer most of your questions on starting up a new tank.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 4:23pm
lots of the LFS (local fish stores) will let you get RO water free, but will charge between $.25-$1.00/gal of pre-made salt water.  Check with which ever one is most convenient to get to.

I have to top off my BC29 about once a week, week and a half with around a gallon of water.  I have to top off my pico (3 gal) daily with at least a pint, sometimes more.

The biocube's are nice, but I wouldn't get smaller than a 29 for a first tank.  Remember only bad things happen fast in the saltwater realm.  

Learn patience--it's harder than all get out to not want to add a bunch of stuff to the tank all the time, but slower really is better.

And welcome, glad to see someone else wanting to enjoy salt!
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 4:24pm
Found it http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244 read this and then come back with tons of questions. But this will help you answer probably 80% of your questions
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 5:09pm
A good rule of thumb when it comes to cycling is "green means go". That is, when you start getting algae, it's time to start adding fish and a clean up crew. In a 29 this may take about a week or so. Another thing that helps a TON, is to fill it with someones water who's doing a water change. This helps speed up the cycling time quite a bit. 29 BioCubes are really about 25 gallons so 5-5gallon buckets do the trick nicely. Also when your at the persons house mooching water, gets some live sand from them, that is critical. Live sand will help seed your tank and get all the little microbes rockin' and rolln'. The hard part in all that is finding someone who does a 25 gallon water change. I do one or two 30 gallon WC's about every month on my 225 (frequent I know, but I feed heavy) so if you intereseted, let me know.

Also there are a few really cool Do-it-yourself modifications out there for the BC's. The one that I think is a must is changing the sump in the back, into a little refugium. You just remove the bioballs, stick some cheato (a beneficial macro algae) and Live Rock back there, scrape the paint off the back, and tape a small light fixture over where you scraped the paint off.

Anyways keep asking questions and take your time. Dont rush.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - December 16 2010 at 6:12pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero79cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 5:39pm
Wow, thanks for all the help. I will be reading the link tonight for sure. Im sure I will be bugging you guys with a ton of questions, hope nobody minds. I know that the setup is going to take awhile and i'm patient but it help that I have my fresh water tank at home and I added a 1 1/2 gallon freshwater tank in my office. 
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 6:12pm
Pay attention to the significant differences between SW and FW, such as filtration.  SW is very much a "closed" system compared to a FW system.  Mark is very clear about what's needed to be successful.

A Bucket of Salt is <$50 - good for 160-200 gallons.  I wouldn't buy premixed SW from the store if I can mix my own.

Tap-water *is* an option.  I've kept a sumpless 90g for 18 months with no significant algea problems.  That said, we're getting an RO unit for Christmas.  Don't let RO water be a huge PITA or a reason to not get going.

Some SW stuff you need to get to start things up.  A basic Hydrometer is <$10. 
I would recommend the basic API SW test kit that has Alk, Ca, Nitrate, Phosphate in it.  ~$30.  You can spend a fortune on test kits - don't.

Other than that, Mark's instructions are your recipe for success.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 6:15pm

This is an awesome hobby. The clickable link to the previously mentioned thread is below in my signature line along with my phone #. I'm always available and happy to answer quick questions or solve a dilema over the phone.Smile
Here's a pic of one of my small tanks:

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 6:44pm
Yeah I would definitely recommend getting the biggest tank that you can when you first start out. I started with a 30g and it was perfect for me. Just be patient and add fish extremely slow. Also due alot of research as to what you can keep and whats compatible. The corals your going to keep will depend on alot of variables i.e. lighting, fish, inverts and flow. I believe most biocubes come with power compact lighting. Which you cant really keep stony corals under. So just look around at what you like and base your decision around that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero79cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 7:06pm
I had no idea what to expect when I put the first post up, I am in shock really on how many people have offered advice and even offered their help. This is awesome. Thanks to everyone! Now I just need to get busy and find a tank lol. I've got a few options so far. I have a 30 gal in bad bad bad shape a friend gave me, a 10 gal I was thinking about going rimless with or a 5 gal eclipse that the filter is broken lol wow I've got a bunch of crappy tanks lol maybe after Christmas I can get one that I really want.
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 9:16pm
i live on the roy border if you ever wanna come check stuff out or have questions. i'd be glad to help you out.
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 9:33pm
That crappy 30g could be an awesome sump...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero79cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 10:33pm
That is such an awesome offer, I might have to take you up on that after the holidays. I will be on vacation after Christmas until January 11th :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zero79cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2010 at 10:34pm
What all is involved in making a sump?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic