Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Interceptor Skimmer Shot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post Interceptor Skimmer Shot
    Posted: December 20 2010 at 6:22pm
Post Interceptor Skimmer Shot
Thought this pic would be worth posting after a treatment with Interceptor. Here are the facts:

12/19 - Noticed some red bugs so decided to run 0.30 grams of 23mg Interceptor tablet on my 120G. Removed skimmer collection cup, kept skimmer running sans air, and started treatment at 12:30 pm on 12/19. Cleaned skimmer cup and restarted skimmer air intake at about 10:30 pm on 12/19. No water changes or carbon replacement (planning on water change later today, because I'm due for WC, and carbon replacement after next week's follow up Interceptor treatment).

12/20 - At about 8:30 am, checked the skimmer cup to see the photo below. Normally a half day after cleaning the skimmer cup, I would have about 1/2 inch of dark green to black gunk and some nasty foam hanging off the lid. As you can see, there is no liquid at the bottom of the cup and the foam is very white.

My guess is that the skimmer is very effective at removing the remnants of the interceptor. However, it's very odd that it wouldn't also be removing a bunch of gunk, especially since the skimmer was off for half a day.

Can't say what processes are taking place here. As I'm writing this, the foam in the skmmer is just now starting to turn dark and there's a little dark liquid at the bottom of the cup, but it's still chuck full of the white foam which doesn't appear to be breaking down quickly at all.

Corals that had visible red bugs are now bug free and already showing good PE which had been lacking for the last 10 days or so and caused me to inspect closer. All other inhabitants, including shrimp, appear happy. A few hermits bit the dust.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic