Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diatom Outburst

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diatom Outburst
    Posted: December 23 2010 at 6:07pm
After doing some research, I think I am having a Diatom outbreak. My tank has been running for about 2 months and I have started to notice this rust colored stuff all over the rocks and sand. It isn't horribly bad but it sure is ugly. What should I do?
Thanks
Zach
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2010 at 6:20pm
Yep. Sounds about right. It's pretty normal and will go away with time. New tanks go through this. First everything will be brown.... then you'll have everything turn green and then everything will turn pink and purple.

It's pretty normal and you really should just keep an eye on it and your keep your water parameters in check and it'll run it's course soon.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 12:57am
The very best research is done just like this, simply asking the question right here.Thumbs Up
I would not call Diatoms "rust colored".Confused I consider it a golden brown color. Rust color would indicate a combination of Cyano and diatoms or dinoflagellates.
Can we see a pic pleaseQuestion A full tank pic and also a close up of the algae if possible, even if the pics are from a cell phone, that's okay. We can identify the algae and probably make some suggestions to help you avoid/cope with other problems.
Is this the first [possible] algae problem that has come to this tankQuestion
How many and what type of snails are in this tankQuestion
How was the biofiltration started; with LS, LR, LW and MacroalgaeQuestion

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 24 2010 at 1:04am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 2:05pm
This isn't my tank but it looks a lot like this:
< ="utf-8">
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 2:08pm
It also looks like this. 
< ="utf-8">      When I turn the lights on in the morning, there is not 

a lot of this but by the time it is time to turn them off, all of the sand and rocks are covered in it. 

This happens and gets worse every day. Also as for the snails and crabs, I have 3 hermits,6 

Nassarius snails, and 1 turbo snail. I started with live rock from Fish 4 U and a couple pieces from 

other places.

Thanks,

Zach

Edited by ZACH - December 26 2010 at 2:13pm
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 2:25pm
It sounds like normal cycling of the tank to me. I would beef up the CUC with at least another dozen astrea snails.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 4:00pm
but should the algae cover the whole tank? If so, how long will it last?
Zach
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 5:58pm
From my experience it will cover a lot of the tank and will last a few weeks.

ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 6:55pm
Ok good
Thanks you guys so much, you always know what to do.
Zach
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 8:24pm
Yes it is normal but it does not have to last more than a few days to a week. That's why I wrote the thread below in my signature line. It's about using living organisms available through other hobbyists to get a tank going sooner with less problem algae and less trouble.

If you would like to get some Chaetomorpha Macroalgae free from someone here on this MB (I have some) and turn on the lights longer, the Chaeto will eat up the pollution that normally happens when starting up a new tank. It works great. I do it this way all the time. In fact, I have done this twice in the last month.

Something is messed up on my screen in the text you wrote below that 2nd pic. Does it say that there is only one snail currently? Like Burt said, more snails are always needed at first. I would add at least a dozen now, and more later if needed. There are three types of snails that work well. Astrea, Margarita and Cerith. I use a variety of all three. If this is not dealt with now, in another two months the tank could have a much worse algae problem than the simple covering of diatoms it has now. Please read the thread found below when you click on Reefkeeping Tips.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 10:23pm
I have about 6 snails but i will get more
Thanks for all your help.
Zach
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic