Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing up the SUSPENDED REEF!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing up the SUSPENDED REEF!!
    Posted: December 24 2010 at 1:46pm
Many of you have seen my 180 "Ray" System. For those who haven't It consists of a suspended rock structure so my Blue spot could have maximum space in the sand.
We have wanted to change it around for a couple years but haven't wanted to put the Ray through any more stress than necessary.
Well if you remember we lost out Ray a couple months ago and decided it was time to do our best.

With the help of Vida Rock we had a structure constructed to replace the pvc set up we had.
Here is a before look.

And here is the structure that they came up with. The boys at Cerameco do a fantastic job.

And here is how it came out in the tank. I broke the one leg off getting it in my truck and since it sits back on the back legs we elected to leave it off and use it else where.

The center section of rock will go away. We moved all of the rock to the sump there in the tank and in the 75 plumbed into the system so as to not shock it by removing it all at one time. I will have awesome LR for sale soon. Covered in sponge, bugs and cool stuff.

Once this cycles then I will start looking for a new Blue Spot.

Cerameco has one other suspended reef rock that they built. It is available if you are interested. Heres a Pict. Call Jeremy at 801-487-1128

As well the pvc structure we were using is available. Make me an offer.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 2:23pm
Very nice!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 2:33pm
Looks good.
90 gallon mixed reef
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 2:51pm
i'm very interested in the one for sale. do you know how big it is?
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 2:56pm
I like it Dion, very nice.  Lots of fish can go in there. Or do you plan on another ray?
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 4:10pm
Thats awesome. Vida-rock is sweet. let me know when you are going to sell some LR
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by tileman tileman wrote:

I like it Dion, very nice.  Lots of fish can go in there. Or do you plan on another ray?

We have a bamboo shark egg right now and hope to have another ray. We will see how the shark turnes out.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by jmw jmw wrote:

i'm very interested in the one for sale. do you know how big it is?

36" long.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 4:26pm
I was like... that tank would look sweet with out those rocks in the middle =) then I read.... that will be sweet!
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 4:33pm
Oh wow that looks awesome. The Vida rock is sweet!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 4:45pm
that looks awesome!! what do they make the rock out of?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 7:06pm
awesome! I'm a fan of vidarock too! Check out my thread (bottom of page 1):

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43346&KW=&PID=387384#387384%20

It has taken my vitarock quite a while to color up (5 months to get where it is), but I have had problems with low alkalinity in the past so it took a while. Hopefully yours colors up more quickly!

Vitarock is some type of clay composite that has lots of tiny holes to try to simulate live rock. I haven't seen any comparisons of their filtration capacity compared to LR.
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
kethomps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kethomps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2010 at 10:27pm
That looks sweet.  We stopped and talked with Adam yesterday (Jeremy was out) and got some great ideas.  I am also trying to provide more sand space while getting more height.  Thanks for the photos!
210g sw fish
West Jordan
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Lewy Lewy wrote:

that looks awesome!! what do they make the rock out of?

Yes it is a ceramic product. CeramEco mixes organics into the clay and then when it is fired in the kiln the organics burn off leaving the ceramic full of small holes. VidaRock is porous throughout making it a true live rock substitute once it is fully cured in your tank.

There is no end to the diverse structures you can make with the rock. I just added several VidaRock frag stations to my new frag tank. I like the added biological filtration and circulation through the structure as well as making an attractive frag station.

Another nice feature of their frag plugs is that the stem can be snapped off when you're ready to place the frag in the display. This makes gluing it in place much easier.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 4:31pm
hey burt your here to. thats awesome =D. vida rock is just awesome. im tryint to promote on other forums
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2010 at 6:04pm

Hi Josh,

It is a great product and I really love the look of the suspended reef in Dion's tank. Dion has some beautiful tanks and you should try to go see them on the next reef tour.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic