Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help WIth Favia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help WIth Favia
    Posted: December 29 2010 at 2:25pm
I have a Favia frag that looks like he's about ready to die.  He started looking bad right when I acclimated it.  It looks like it's bleaching but i only have 2 150w MH and i'm keeping it down low in my 90g.  What can I do to try to bring him back?  My magnesium has been pretty low for the last week(around 950-1000).  I've been raising it and tested it at 1200 yesterday. My calcium is 450.  I've been trying to feed mysis as well as some other stuff i got from my LFS. 
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 3:15pm
There are a lot of factors that can affect how a coral does in your tank. At this point just make sure that there is a moderate amount of flow and light. I wouldn't try to feed it at this point as it probably won't take food anyway. You mentioned the Mag level and calcium but not the Alkalinity which is probably the most important level to know. If your levels are all within acceptable limits about all you can do is wait. Changing the levels may stress out the coral further unless they are way out of wack. If you have to change your parameters do it slowly then try to keep them constant. Keep your water topped off frequently so the salinity doesn't change as well. Without a picture of the coral and your tank it's hard to give more detailed help but if it doesn't survive before adding more coral get your water parameters in line and stable before adding new acquisitions to the tank.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 11:29pm
Here's a pic, It's gotten a little worse since I took this.  I have a dip strip test that test a few parameters.  It has my ALK at 220 ppm which it says is in the acceptable range?  Is this okay?

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 1:28am
Yes thats plenty high. It converts to 12.32dkh. I keep mine around 10 so I wouldn't worry about the alk.

Just looking at the pic I would move it out away from the rock a little. doesn't look like it's getting enough flow or light stuck way back in the corner like that. Good flow is important to help the respiration, feeding and removal of waste form the coral. Since they don't have lungs they depend on the current to breathe.
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 1:32am
Oh I would also take a sample of your water to a LFS and have it tested. Dip stick tests are notoriously inaccurate IMO.
Burt

[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 11:41am
The other coral in the tank look good. No real need to go any further. This coral is stressed by the move.
I agree with Burt. Move it out into the open. I'd also consider the Mg and Iodine levels in the tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 10:31pm
Is the ALK too high?  I had it under the rock because i was fearful that it was bleaching because of too much light.  I only have 2 150 mh so that shouldn't be it should it?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:23am
The acceptable range for Alk is 8-14 dKH and for Ca it's 350-550 ppm.
You mentioned acclimation. Describe the procedure that was used.
Also, was there anything different about the Favia when you got it? How about the tank it came from?

jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 8:45pm
I acclimated the favia over the course of 30 minutes.  I gradually put my tank water in the bag while letting some water out until it was mostly my water.  Is this wrong?  The tank it came from was under LED's.  How do you know if it's bleaching from too much light, not enough light, or from something else like water quality?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 12:12pm
That acclimation is more than enough. I usually acclimate coral in 5-20 minutes.
It should recover in time. The move from LED to MH had an effect. The difference in intensity and spectrum between the two is enough to cause stress.
Have you checked the Mg and I levels?
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:36pm
I have not checked the Iodine as i don't have a test for it.  My Mag was really low for 2 weeks.  It was between 900 and 1000 for about two weeks.  I've since got it up around 1200.  My calcium is at 450.  One thing I failed to mention is that due to canopy design i'm only able to have my light fixture 3-4 inches from the water.  Is this way too close for 2 150 MH over a 90 g tank?  
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 8:00pm
Not with the Favia on the sand.
Has there been any change since the pic?
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 9:05pm
It's gotten a little worse since the pic although my levels have improved quite a bit since the pic.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2011 at 3:37pm
Well, I'd say you are on top of what is needed. If the decline does not turn around in another day, I would take it back to where I got it and have them get it back on the road to recovery.
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 8:28pm
I have had Acans that randomly started dieing off and I Luguls Dipped them with the amount of drops perscribed on the bottle. I have actually had luck recovering acans. This is only a band aid though as the real cause needs to be discovered. I have had some just die and all my Params looked fine. Its just like anything else win some loose some! Good luck!
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2011 at 8:30pm
Ummmm really old post :)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Ummmm really old post :)
WOW just noticed lol!
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic