Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pump Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clownfish45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pump Help
    Posted: December 29 2010 at 6:53pm
 All right I Have a Hydor Koralia pump in my nano tank and today I notice that the fan wasn't spinning. So I pulled it out and cleaned it up and plug it back in and the fan blade was bouncing around and was not spinning like it should. So my question is what is wrong with it and is there something I can do to fix it. I really need this pump up and running asap so any suggestions would be appreciated.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 7:09pm
Sometimes the impeller (the "fan") will spin backwards or jam if not installed properly.

Check to see that you installed it all the way into the base, and that the outer front cover is attached correctly (the ceramic shaft of the impeller should fit into a notch on the inside of the front cover).

If it is in straight and all the way, try plugging it in and then uplugging it a couple of times. Sometimes that will do the trick.

Last trick - if it is spinning backwards or 'bouncing' - take a skinny long object (a chopstick works great if you have one, or a butter knife) and stick it into the opening to stop the impeller from spinning the wrong direction, or to "push start" the impeller if it is not spinning at all.

Hopefully one of these tricks works for you.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Sometimes the impeller (the "fan") will spin backwards or jam if not installed properly.

Check to see that you installed it all the way into the base, and that the outer front cover is attached correctly (the ceramic shaft of the impeller should fit into a notch on the inside of the front cover).

IMO this is the most common problem. Hopefully you're able to get it fixed without any issues.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2010 at 10:19pm
I've noticed that the Koralia pumps are a little tricky to reassemble after service and if you don't get the front of the shaft back into the small hole in the front cover it will cause the pump not to operate properly. I really like the wide flow pattern on these pumps though so it's worth the extra effort when servicing the pump.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 1:09pm
Yea I tried that and the magnet spins but when I put the metal pin and the impeller through it just bounces around and really doesn't spin. It acts like it wants to spin but its like the magnet isn't grabbing the impeller to spin it. Not sure whats going on with it and if it is possible to fix it. Any ideas would be helpful. 
boysty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boysty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 1:40pm
I have seen this happen on alot of pumps. I just put the pump in the water and turn it on and when it bounces around i will just push it back with my finger or a small object and it aligns right up.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 3:43pm

If the magnet and impeller are correctly assembled and the end of the metal shaft is properly secured in the front of the removable front cover there shouldn't be any bouncing around of the prop or shaft. The top of the metal shaft should be held securely in the hole in the middle of the cover and everything should spin freely. If there is still side to side movement then the impeller shaft is not installed correctly and will not spin. The power-head does run a little rough when out of the water so submerging it before startup will help eliminate the vibration you get when running the unit out of the water but there should be no side to side movement of the impeller shaft when power is applied.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 10:24pm
Well I put it all back together and put it back in my tank and started it up and it still bounces and does like a half rotation and then starts bouncing again. It will not do a full rotation and it seems like it just gets stuck. I have two of these and they both have the same problem. I even switch impellers and magnets and got the same results. I'm not sure what to do now. It seems like they want to work but just can't spin the impeller.
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 5:46am
sounds like the blade is seperated from the impeller and will need to be replaced. I have super glued some impellers after this happened and they work for a little bit but not long term. You can get a replacement koralia impeller for pretty cheap.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 6:04am
"seperated from the impeller shaft" is what I meant
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:40am
Alright so for a temp fix I can super glue the bottom of the impeller to the top of the magnet and it should work? And then where do I find replacement impellers?
dons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 12:12pm
I had the same thing happen and emailed Koralia and they sent me out a new pump within a few days, the pump was only about 2 or 3 months old.  They say to not turn them on when out of water because it stresses the impeller also they need the pressure from the water to force the little impeller down into the shaft and that won't happen if they are out of water.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clownfish45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 12:31pm
Yea I emailed them a couple of days ago but haven't herd from them yet. How long do they take to respond back?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic