Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here
    Posted: December 31 2010 at 4:05pm

Hi all,

I was directed to this site by a friend of mine.

I have been wanting to set up a salt water tank for some time now. And I have finally decided to take the plunge. This site has been a great deal of help thus far and I have only been on it for a few hours.

I have looked at purchasing a new tank 90+ gallons with all the fixins, however I have found there is quite a few used tanks out there. It seems like a used tank would be the way to go is that the case?

I am completely starting from scratch, and I have no experience in reef tanks, I have kept fresh water tanks for some time now, but I won’t be sacrificing any of those for this endeavor.

I am looking for some advice on how to get started and what to watch out for.

Thanks!

Chad

Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 4:06pm
I would try to get a nice used setup.
90 gallon mixed reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 4:26pm
Welcome!
You'll find lots of help here.  Search around the buy sell trade area for great deals on used stuff popping up everyday.  But first, check out some tanks in your area and see what you like.  People are always willing to show off their tanks.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Reefboy4life Reefboy4life wrote:

I would try to get a nice used setup.
Welcome, i completely agree with the above statement. Look on KSL and the classifieds here for a good set-up, be patient and wait for something you want.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 5:25pm
Yes, welcome..... I am located in murray and you are more then welcome to check out my tank if you would like
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 8:25pm
Welcome!!!! Your more than welcome to come over anytime!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 8:50pm
Thank you for the input!

Badfinger I would love to check out your tank.

I found a few tanks on KSL most of them have an established reef in them and moving them really concerns me. I read the moving thread and I am not sure if a newbie like me would be able to pull that off.

Here are the links to some of the tanks that interest me.

180g

A 90g that looks nice.

210g right on the edge of my budget.

180 close to home

Also a few Red Sea, and a few posted in the trade section here.

Any input woud be great.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Edited by superchud - January 01 2011 at 10:26am
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 9:01pm
Welcome to WMAS!

I think that a 90 gallon is an excellent size for a starter tank. You don't get the same problems that small tanks get or the maintenance headache of bigger tanks. AND you see them for sale very often on KSL and this board. The one you posted I believe may have been sold but if not he is a member of this board so you can probably still find the post and respond to it. It looks like it's only sand+rock and equipment which I think a newbie would be able to pull off with no issues.

Ask many questions, see many tanks, save yourself expenses and headache!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
lincsco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 9:13pm
I also live in South Jordan and I started in the hobby about a year ago. I currently have 2 90-gallon tanks and I would highly recommend starting with a 90-gallon. You're welcome to come by and look at my tanks and I'll give you whatever advice I can. I also have a couple of good books that helped me if you're interested.

Edited by lincsco - December 31 2010 at 9:13pm
Lincoln
South Jordan
90-gallon reef
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:22pm
That would be awesome!

Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:32pm
that 180 you talked about first is an awesome setup.
90 gallon mixed reef
lincsco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lincsco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:43pm
I'll pm you my info.
Lincoln
South Jordan
90-gallon reef
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 1:35am
Welcome to WMAS, you'll find all the help you need here! I agree with jwoo 90 gallons is a great starter tank, if you can go bigger though I say why not. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:28am
Thanks again for all the input!

How hard is to move a tank with livestock? I am terrified to attempt it.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 6:00pm
It's not too hard. You can leave the sandbed in the tank with a little water, put the Live Rock into buckets submerged in water, and then put your fish/inverts into buckets as well. Keep as much of the original water as possible and then just put it back together. If you don't want to keep the original sandbed or if it is really dirty you can scoop it out and rinse it really well before putting it back into the tank, and then just seed it with a cup or two from another (trusted) established tank.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 12:58pm
That 210 is sweet!  Especially if you have room for all the matching book cases!
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 5:36pm
I have the room for the 210 and the book cases, I actually went and looked at it yesterday and the pictures do not do the cabinetry justice.

I just don't think I can move it.

I will post some pictures of where I was thinking of putting it and what is underneath here shortly.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 5:45pm
210 looks great, but i feel that is to much  5k to start off seems a bit too much. The 180G close to your home seems a great price and also you can have alot of options of what you want to add for corals and fish. Not to mention the frag fest is coming up
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 7:34pm
Hey, I saw this topic shortly after it was posted, but decided to watch it.

Does anyone think like me; that Chad seems to be putting the cart before the horse?

If he is going to be wise by coming here, introducing himself and asking our opinions, Thumbs Up then he really should go see some of our setups before buying something. He needs to actually see a few of our tanks and talk with us about how and why we did it the way we did before spending any money on something that may be a mistake for him.
We see it all the time. People come here and in just a few posts find out that what they thought was something special turned out to be different than what they wanted.

I commend Chad for asking us which one we would buy, but that's still opinion and without knowing just what kind of tank that person has at their house, I would never buy something based on their forum opinion. But that's just me. Embarrassed
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
superchud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2011 at 11:08pm
I went over to Lincoln's house just today to check out his tanks and visit with someone already in the hobby and it was great. So much better then just punching away on a keyboard or talking on the phone. Thanks Lincoln!!

I would love to come visit some of you and see your tanks and chat it up. Thats why I came here on a suggestion from a friend I wanted to meet people that have been in this hobby for some time that I could learn from and interact with.

I am in no means in a hurry, I have been wanting to do this for a few years now and waiting another few months or longer does not bother me. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic