Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SHOULD I BUY???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2011 at 11:20pm
If I can work it out, I'd be happy to help out when the time comes.  I have no experience with moving established tanks, but can tell you if you can move that in decent shape, you are taking years (years!) off what it normally takes to get a good system going.  I'm in North Logan.  I even have some reef real estate cheap in my tank for holding neighbors frags. Wink
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 12:28pm
Does anyone Have any Good old Utah Oolitic sand that I could have/buy if I get this tank I think I will just start fresh with new sand...I could prob drive down and collect some myself but don't know how the roads would be in the dead of winter? ..I live in Logan so the closer you are the better!!!!  Also I could just seed the new sand with the sand that is in the Fuge?, or the sand that is in the sump??  I think there was sand in there, hmmm , any way the fuge sand did not look to bad....I could most likely transfer that tank with out disturbing the sand so I don't think I would not need to replace it right?  Also I heard you could just buy play sand from HOME DEPOT is this correct???
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 12:46pm
I would just use the sand that is there.  Why do you want new sand?

BTW, how is Jim doing these days?  I used to work with him, and he gave me my first coral frag (just after he started his first tank).  
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 1:49pm
Yeah I would just rinse most the sand and re-use it.

My hours are MWF 9-5 and T/Th 3-7pm
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 2:05pm
Jim Seems to be doing well.....he is having moister issues in his basement where the tank is....so he is selling it.... Don't know why mold Growing on the walls bothers him!! HA HA HA..... I was told do new sand because Detritus in that sand can be a major source of problems...
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 2:08pm
Do I just get in the Bathtub and rinse with FRESH Hyde Park city water, a scoop at a time...seems fun?  Also Sand going down the drain....should be fine...right....my house is 102 years old but has had updated pluming so I would imagine a little sand won't hurt the plumbing...I hope...
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 3:37pm
What I did is I put my sand in a couple of tubs then went to the car wash and used a high pressure washer. I sit and blast the sand and then dump water down the drain... worked out great
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 4:10pm
Ben, 

Didn't high pressure just blow the sand out of the tub???? 
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 4:49pm
A bit if i hit the edge of the tub wrong, but I stuck the nozzle down in the sand and it didn't really spray up.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 4:51pm
I think I will try the car wash trick with the sand....Thanks!
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2011 at 10:15pm
You will lose some sand - it's such a fine grain if it's Utah sand.  I did like you describe but with a garden hose.  If you have a utility sink, you can do it at home.  Car wash is a good option - be sure to run some water through the wand before using it in case there are chemicals.
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 12:53pm
Okay!   I bought the Tank and hoping to move it either this Sunday or next!!!  

I think I will buy a new Koralia 2 Power head and he suggested a Maxijet 1200 to run the fuge.....would you all agree....I will eventually want a new pump in the sump since his 300gph looks like it is running 10gph!!!! Any suggestions on that?

I think I will scoop off the top layer of sand and use it to seed the rest...I am going to try to pressure wash the rest of it...
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 1:08pm
A maxijet 1200 used as your return pump probably is running at close to 10 GPH at 4-5 feet above the sump. Rermember that the 300 GPH rating is at 0 head. Also I would recommend more than a Korillia 2 for flow. I use (2) K4's for flow in my 65 plus a RIO 12HF for the return. IMO High flow makes for a healthy reef.
Life is good....right?
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 1:20pm
No not a Maxi Jet 1200 for return.....I was thinking it could feed the fuge.....the fuge is about 1 inch higher that the main tank so not much head loss/ Gravity flow back to tank.....AM I making sense ???  Sorry......I don't know what pump I want to get for the sump/return.....Suggestions???   
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 4:07pm
Definitely only keep the top layer of sand to seed the tank and rinse the rest really well. I made the mistake of using all used sand and had a major tank crash loosing 90% of my coral!
Good luck looks like it will be a great tank! And for me I like buying a fully set up tank as that means less time to cycle:) as I am very impatient!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 4:59pm
I remember Jim's tank with the Refugium above and to the side. You can barely see it in this pic.

Here is the Refugium.

Yes a Maxijet 600 might be enough. I assume Jim will help you design the set it up so that flooding is avoidable.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2011 at 5:40pm
You can use whatever type of pump. There are a lot of different types. Cheap to very expensive.

With a 65g tank you want about 700-1000gph with your return pump. Maybe even a bit more depending on how you plumb it and how much head space you are dealing with.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 7:37pm
So Progress On the TANK!!!!   I live in a house that was built in 1909....and the tank is going in the upstairs...so I decided i better cut into a wall and inspect the floor support and see if my tank would be okay..I also wanted to build the tank into the wall....well after tearing down an entire wall I discovered and amazing thing!  My home has slanted ceilings, well the walls are moved in about 5 feet from the outside on the adjacent wall and when I opened up the one (smaller wall) I discovered all of this room!  So I am GOING TO HAVE A FISH ROOM.....I am going to upgrade to a larger sump possibly 50 gall, looking into the ability to plum in a utility sink as well!  There is a large black iron vent pipe that I think I might be able to tap into???  I will have to ask a plumber if it would be okay to do that...I traced it down into the basement and it goes into the sewer line...  I will post pictures of the room tomorrow!
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 2:35am
The cast iron vent pipe is a drain pipe.  It's possible to cut into it and put a "T" for the sink, but they're very thick and tough.  It takes a long time to cut through with a grinder.  Before you cut a chunk out, make sure the upper vent section is secured tightly to the wall or it may fall and it's very hard to raise it back up again + damage to the rooftop seal can occur if it moves.  Once the chunk of pipe is removed, use 4" rubber couplings (most old cast iron drains are 4") to connect and seal the ABS "T" on the top and bottom to the pipe.  They have 4 clamps for each coupling.  Then the drain can be plumbed like normal.  Is it possible...yes.  Is it worth it if there's any other way...probably not.
Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:38am
Steve, long time no see!

I think it's a great idea to go with a larger sump/refugium if you have the space. My advice would be to just start out with getting the tank set up in the room and then worry about a sink or other toys once your tank is up and running.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic