Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SHOULD I BUY???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2011 at 12:09pm
Put the elbow on the drain line and a pipe so that the water does not splash into the sump...Sound much better!  

Also one of my fish, Dwarf Angel, has a spot on its side....maybe a cut, but looks a bit fleshy and white, rather that orange/blue like the rest of him.....do you think this is disease, stress sore, cut,........looks a bit like a cold sore.....I will see if i can get a picture tonight.....I did dose with pro-biotic when we set up the tank but have not dosed with anything else.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 11:42am
the hazards of moving.
The tank is going to need some TLC.
Leave the tank lights on longer each day and make the Refugium lights 24/7 for at least a week.
This will allow the algae to eat up the pollution that is happening because of bacteria and live things dieing in the move.
Are you feeding a drop of Garlic Oil marinated without water in each cube of frozen meaty food? If you don't know about this go below to Reefkeeping Tips and look for the tip Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the miracle of Garlic Oil
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 11:50am
Sounds like a wound. Do what mark says. Feed a lot of garlic laced food and hope for the best. Sometimes they pull through and sometimes they don't. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 7:52pm
I will try the Garlic.....Jim was feeding flakes and pellets....i was thinking that the tang needed some seaweed strips to nibble on throughout the day so i might pick some up tonight....what also should I be feeding or should I just feed what they have had for the past 4 years ( flakes and pellets)  Some people have very complex diets for their fish and I just want to make sure I am not underfeeding or not feeding correctly!

How about clean up crew?  My tank did not come with any snails, hermits, cleaner shrimp....other than the tang to help clean up the tank.....what would you guys suggest and where could i pick up some snails....not sure if I want any hermit crabs but I think a cleaner shrimp would be neat!  What else would you suggest to help my tank stay looking great as it does right now!

Thanks

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 9:53pm
I say you want about 1.5 snails per gallon of water and get a variety of astrea, nassarius, cerith etc. I'm not sure why hermits gets such a bad rap. I have tons of hermits and never had a problem and in fact they are some of my best cleaners. I bought a coral that was attached to a large piece of LR the other day and I noticed it had some hair algae and detritus on there, as soon as it hit the sand the hermits were all over it and it was clean as the rest of my tank by the end of the day.

My cleaner shrimp is one of my favorite critters in my tank. He'll eat out of my hand and even jump on it and clean it. I just wish he would stay out and about in the tank during the day more.

You can get any of these at any LFS really. Sitaga (Bill Davis) in Ogden also sells inverts for a good price. If you happen to be in SLC then Marine Aquatics has been selling inverts and hermits for super cheap as well.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2011 at 9:56pm
P.S. you definetely want to feed that fish Nori sheets. I would also get some frozen mysis shrimp and krill to feed. You can pick up all 3 at Petsmart. Fish need a variety and flake and pellet food are good, but not as good as a varied diet. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 9:23am
I am going to slightly disagree with Ben on the feeding.  If you are feeding a quality pellet food, then you don't "need" to feed anything else to keep very healthy, colorful fish.  Nori is cheap (I would buy it from the grocery store instead of the fish store so to not pay premium prices for it) so feeding Nori on a clip does give you something to watch them nibble on.  Mysis shrimp costs about $5 for about 30 cubes and is a nice change of pace for *you* if you want to feed something different.  The fish don't "need" either - again, if you are feeding a quality pellet food.

Don't buy the " they need variety" arguement because in the wild, many of these fish eat the exact same thing day after day after day.

I think hermits get a bad rap because they are aggressive towards each other and towards snails if they need a bigger shell.  I would definitely get hermits as part of your CUC.  Blue are the most common and cheap.  I would get Red and White ones also.  My white hermits are the most active.  You should be ablet to get them for around $.50/each, give or take a dime.  Extra empty shells are usually cheap and easy to just dump into your display.

Get cerith, nassarius, astrea and nerite snails.  They each have different eating habits so you cover your bases by getting a variety.  You should do the ratio Ben mentioned.  Big ones like the Mexican Turbo snail are cool to watch, but they will barge around and can upset unsecure rockwork.  If yoru sand is dirty, get a cucumber too.  I haven't had much luck with keeping mine for long... maybe not enough food for them.
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 2:55pm
When Feeding do you guys turn of your pumps???  I bought some freeze dried shrimp last night and at first did not turn off the pump and they went right to the over flow....So I turned pump off and none of my fish even touched the shrimp....they seemed to prefer the flakes....go figure!  

Mark.......Question on the Garlic.....I found some garlic gel caps at the Grocery store but in the ingredients they all said that they also contain  soybean oil, gelatin, vegetable glycerin, and silica....do you think that is just what makes up the outer "Shell" capsule.....and the gooey liquid inside is the Garlic????

vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 3:11pm
I prefer to feed a 2mm pellet which is big enough to break the surface tension and sink.  My 1mm pellet goes into the surface skimmer way too fast and makes me mad.  Angry  When I feed mysis, I stick the cube to the side of the powerhead that has good suction and it melts and distributes the shrimp fairly to all. Thumbs Up  I would say that 90% of what I feed is the pellet.  If you want some 2mm NLS THera+ A pellet let me know.  I'll give you some to try.  I buy it by the 5lb bucket so I can sell you some by the pound or half-pound for about what I paid, if you like it. (Way cheaper than the smaller containers)

I don't shut off any pumps and have seen others say to NOT do it because it always leads to them being left off on accident.

Freeze-dried food could be pre-soaked so it will sink better.  Just put it in a dixie cup of tank water for a minute or two before pouring it in.

Edited by vadryn - February 03 2011 at 3:44pm
Jerrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 3:39pm
Vadryn, I keep forgetting to get you your pump and heater back.....I will stop by tomorrow night on my way home from work and give them back to you.....around 7:30.....Thanks  I will prob take you up on your food offer.....
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 4:18pm
I have 4 powerheads in my tank, and the two in the middle are hooked up to an extension cord that has a switch on it so I can turn them on and off really easy when I feed. The two on the outside are left on, so the food does move around a little, but if i dump it in a little at a time the fish dont let it get too far. I have forgot to turn them back on a couple of times, but with the other two running and my return pumps running it doesnt really effect anything. If you wanted to turn off the majority of your flow each time you fed it might not be worth the risk of forgetting...
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2011 at 4:20pm
I use NLS 1mm pellets as my fish's staple food source....to get them to sink= grab a pinch of food, submerge your finger tips holding the food a inch into the water, rub fingers together and watch them drop.....this also works for flakes....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic