Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubble Coral Died Suddenly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubble Coral Died Suddenly
    Posted: January 08 2011 at 8:55pm
I had a bubble coral frag that was around 1 month old that was doing great.  In the last 3 days he all of sudden died.  I haven't done anything different in the last week.  Mag is around 1200 and Calcium around 450.    It was like the portion that used to be bubble just completely dissappeared and died.
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 12:55am
We had a similar problem but ours was because it got covered with sand by our diamond goby. He has pretty much popped the bubbles. We thought for sure it was dead but we left it in the tank and now it is starting to sprout new bubbles so yours might! I am not sure why your just seemed to die but I wanted to share my story.

Good luck... Pam
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 1:11am
what are your rest of your parameters? do you have a picture of the coral? a full pic of your tank?
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 3:57pm
My other parameters are are as follows:

Salinity 1.025
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
PH 8.2
Alk 260 ppm
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 4:12pm

Those corals are waay touchy. They're pretty much bubbles sitting on top of razorblades. One bump from a fish or hermit is enough to pop a bubble. Once this happens the coral is open to bacteral infections. On the plus side I've seen them come back from looking like someone sneezed on the rock to full colonies. Give it a month before pulling the skeleton just in case.

-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic