Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello
    Posted: January 11 2011 at 1:57pm
Hi there, My name is Jeff. I have been reading topics in your forum for about a month now. Not even sure how I found it. But I have learned alot just by reading older post. You all sound like great people and I wanted to join. I have a 75 gallon tank that I set up I guess you could say on my own. A lot of trial and error. It is looking much better now after following your forum posts.

I would like to know more about your club.
Thanks
Jeff
If not for construction, where would we be?
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 2:16pm
Glad you found us.  There are lots of really nice people in our Club.  We meet the 1st Thursday of every month.  We have some awesome events planned for the upcoming meetings.  You won't want to miss any of them.

We meet at:

The Rose Garden House at Sugar House Park..

DIRECTIONS:  From 1300 East and 2100 South (the Sugarhouse area on I-80 near Shopko and Red Lobster).  Drive East up 2100 South like you are going to enter Sugar House Park.  As soon as you pass Sugar House Park, and BEFORE you reach Highland High school you will see the little building on the right hand (south) side of the road.  Got that?  It is between Sugarhouse Park and Highland High on 2100 South.    Just pull on in to the parking lot.  The address is about 1600 East and 2100 South.  Easy parking, easy freeway, and in the middle of town.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 2:22pm
Welcome Jeff!

Our club is the biggest marine aquarium club in Utah. You will see a lot of activity on the board here but where you'll get the most bang for your buck are the members themselves. When I started out two years ago I would have been lost if it weren't for our awesome members. Go and visit some tanks from members here on the board. Ask lots of questions! Pretty much everyone loves to talk fish geek.

We also do a meeting on the first Thursday of every month at the Rose Garden House in Sugar House. These meetings helped me out so much. Every month there is a new topic/subject. The meeting this coming month (Feb) is a bit different as you do have to pay to get in (all other meetings are free) because we are doing our Winter Banquet. It will be catered food as well as a speaker talking to us about coral restoration. If you'd like to come to that buy tickets as soon as they come up as they go fast.

I highly encourage you to use all the resources the club has to offer - the forum, meetings, members. You will save time and money.

So now that you are here lets hear some more about your tank!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 5:17pm
Thanks for the welcome. I tried to upload a photo but I guess I don't know how too =) My tank is a 75 gallon w/ 30 gallon sump. I believe now that I have to many fish in my tank, 11 in all. I have tried many different corals without knowing much about them and their needs. ( I am getting better at this ) I am having luck with the soft corals ie mushrooms, leathers and or course zoas. I have bought most of the test kits that I think I need. I dose with Aquavitro Fuel twice a week. My water is all good except for my Nitrate, it has been running in the 40 to 80 ppm. I added some Cheto to my fuge and put up a 50/50 36 watt coralite. I read that in one of the posts here. I guess I just wait and see how it goes.
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 5:40pm
best way for photo's is to use photobucket.com or a similar site. Then you can just paste in the image links into your posts....

and welcome! Yea you'll probably want to lower those nitrates, getting up to 80ppm is fairly high. The chaeto should help but also please tell us:

how many lbs of live sand and live rock do you have?
what type of lights and how long do you leave them on?
What are your other tank parameters?

temp
salinity
ammonia
nitrite
ph
phosphate
calcium
alkalinity

The experts on here can help more knowing this info, and seeing some pictures.

Good luck!
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 6:18pm
Well I have 110 lbs LR and about 80 lbs of the crushed argonite.
I have power compacts, 2 65 watt 10k day lights, 2 65 watt true actinic 03 and the 4 moon glows. I run the moon glows 24/7, actinics for 12 hours and the day lights for 8 hours.

Temp  76
Salinity  1.023
Ammonia  0
Nitrite  0
PH 240
Phosphate 0.2
Calcium 450
Alkalinity  ????

I hope this helps, I could use all the help I can get.
Thanks, Jeff
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2011 at 6:51pm
Their gonna want Alk!!!!! Great site, great help and great information. Welcome.
John

Edited by jmw - January 11 2011 at 6:52pm
JB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:32am
Well it took me a minute to figure out how to do this,
I hope this works
Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic