Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

93 gal.build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 9:44am
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

I would seek the compromise.....seed your tank with a "chosen" piece of live rock from a reputable source....this will help your other rock become live a little faster than adding nothing, but will also help reduce the risk of pests that you may more likely get when adding several pieces of LR to your tank...

btw- I'd only buy from someone you know on here that will pick out a good piece for you, or at least have a fish friend go with you to inspect the piece before putting it in your tank......

I made the mistake of seeding my tank with LR that had tiny specs of bubble algae, as a noob I didn't think anything of it....I have been fighting bubble algae ever since Ouch

How is the bubble algae today.  I have been careful and still ended up with a little.  Just curious to hear some of the things you tried to combat the bubble algae.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 10:34am
My emerald crabs depleted my tank of bubble algae. 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 11:04am
Good deal,  I currently have three.  I removed some by hand yesterday, from my sump that is.  My display just has a little.  So hopefully the crabs will find it soon.  
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 11:25am
I read up on it some more, the whole spores spreading thing sounds like it could be a myth.  I made the neccessary changes to the tank (reduced feeding, added GFO, etc.) and then pulled out/popped each bubble algae.  There is a great video from Mr. Saltwater Fish on youtube on how this is done....even when popping it you want to get some tweezers and make sure you take out the skeleton.  After doing this (it has been only a month) none has grown back....so not sure of the long term results.  Regardless, I see no difference from manual removal in comparison to emeralds.  Emeralds have to pop the bubble algae with their pinchers before they can eat it anyways.

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 11:46am
That is what I was thinking.  I had already found the Mr. saltwater video.  My thoughts , just a precaution, no guarantee to suck up anything that may have the potential to spread. 

thanks for the response
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 1:44pm

I will try loading a couple recent pics.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 1:47pm
Wow - Rick, looks real nice!!!

I especially like the Blonde Naso Tang Thumbs Up
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 1:47pm
Man your tank is rockn'! Great Job!

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 1:49pm
Rick!

That looks great! Love your fish and corals! everything looks amazing!
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 1:57pm
I am considering selling the large clam, half of the lobo, some candy cane, and some sympodium ( not pictured).  

Any one interested let me know
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 4:57pm
How about selling that Blond Naso? He'd look great in my 265.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 8:34pm
Looking good. I'd be interested in some sympodium.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 8:43pm
That red rim chalice is awesome =) where did you pick that thing up at?
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2011 at 9:00pm
Aquarium Masters up here in Ogden
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2012 at 8:42pm
bump
John 3:16

93 GAL. Cube, 8 T5's, Elite Aquatics sump

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 2:17pm
bump

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 4:39pm
Well, just a quick update on my rebound from a struggling tank. After much patients and many dollars saved, from not buying any coral. My tank appears to on it's way back. I thought I lost my Idaho grape, which grew to 10 times what it was when I put it in. I have been looking at it's skeleton, which is now covered with coralline algae, for months. A few days ago I noticed a couple nickle sized patches of new life. Ya Hoo. More as it continues to recover.

joelduval1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelduval1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 5:11am
Update???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic