Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

93 gal.build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 11:44pm
How EXCITING!!Clap
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 11:52pm
Wow nice!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 12:05am
Looks great!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 9:28am
Did you say somewhere where you got your stand from?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 11:05am
Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

This little cabinet company (www.richinscarpentry.com) Built it in conjunction with Aquatic Dreams.( www.aquaticdreamer.com)  It was raffeled off at the Reef Fest!!

Edited by Dion Richins - January 20 2011 at 11:07am
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 11:43am
Rick, that first structure was very nice looking.
Now that you have received a good amount of feedback, the next one you put together can be just as nice, but also more practical for all the reasons mentioned.

In case it has not been mentioned before, within the structure should go some LR. It's better to mix the LR into the reefscape rather than set it all on top. My suggestion is to place the first level of dry Marco rock on top of some small pieces of LBTR, then fill the tank half full of a mixture of LW and newly mixed saltwater. When adding the LR and Marco onto the 2nd level be sure to turn, twist and shake these pieces underwater to remove as many air bubbles as possible. This is especially important for the LR.

Doing this dry pre-scaping is a good way to get in practice and visualize how to put it together before you actually do the real thing.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Dion Richins Dion Richins wrote:

Originally posted by vadryn vadryn wrote:

This little cabinet company (www.richinscarpentry.com) Built it in conjunction with Aquatic Dreams.( www.aquaticdreamer.com)  It was raffeled off at the Reef Fest!!

Thanks Dion for fielding the question.  Once again fine job, you do amazing work.  I hope that I can be good advertisement, as people view this set up on the boards, as well as the people that visit my home to see it.
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 3:57pm
moved away from glass, verified that structure is stable in an attempt to duplicate my first scape.

after looking at a few more examples, not sure if I am totally satisfied, but here it is.

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:28pm
Sump is plumbed, skimmer, and heater in place.  I have decided to cover the back of the tank with black vinyl.  May order more marcorock, not that I don't have enough, but to get a bigger variety of shapes to work with.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:29pm
One thing I notice about Marco rock is that it seems to have a similar general shape and it's all exactly the same color.
In this pic it seems like the rock is stacked like flat wafers and in some places it looks like puzzle pieces fitting snugly together. Try putting some pieces in vertical or diagonal positions and also leave larger gaps between the rocks.

Because of the shape of Marco rock, it could make some awesome ledges sticking out.

I would not use Marco exclusively. When LR is added the difference will be too stark. I'd add a few pieces of LBTR as well. Things that come in three's are more natural than two's.
Sorry, I've been at this too long. I've probably commented enough. I'll shut up now. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 23 2011 at 4:30pm
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:31pm
OK i am not getting this pic. upload thing.  I cannot upload because files are to big, so I edit it to 25% and this is what I get.  I edited the last photo the same way and get different results.  Why???
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:36pm
Mark your comments are always welcome, as well as from everyone else.  I looked at some pieces of LR yesterday, to try to mix it up, but my budget is at the point that I am unable to pay those prices.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:38pm
I think it looks awesome. Get it wet!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 6:07pm
I also agree with mark....you got a puzzle of rocks going there (typical stacked wall of rocks)....its your tank and you scape how you like it, I think this will be an impressive tank, but thought I would chime in and back Mark on his suggestion as well.... I myself am always a fan of tilting the rocks in funky ways, then stacking, resulting in larger swim caves, dwellings, and retreats for fish.....this also helps improve ledges for coral placement.....

Great job on the base rock placement....adds nice depth!

Edited by bur01014 - January 23 2011 at 6:09pm
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 6:39pm
sorry, trying a new method of posting pics

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:37pm
Looks good. Can see it a lot better. Looks very clean. Nice job on the plumbing!
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:27pm
Then come get some LR (algae and a free frag too) from me or someone else here. $2-$4/lb is more reasonable, right?
I agree, it's time to get it wet. Smile
We all put rocks together that we later change. We also get better at it every time we redo it or set up our next tank. There is always something that would look better and we eventually rework our 'scaping, again. Wink
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:56pm
Get some water in that thing alreadyLOL
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 7:55am
drown the rocks!!!
ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 9:03am
I would be hesitant as well to put water in this tank until you are satisfied with the rockwork. I would imagine it is not simple to aquascape this tank given it's unique footprint and stand. You have done an amazing job so far on your setup, I would take your time to ensure you don't have to move the rock around too much and risk scratching/chipping the glass. I wanna see water in this tank just as much as the next guy, so don't keep us waiting too long. Good choice with the Marco Rock.

My two cents would be not taint the look of Marco Rock in the display with LBTR, keep it in the sump where it belongs.

"Noob"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
  Share Topic