Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

93 gal.build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93 gal.build
    Posted: January 12 2011 at 6:47pm

Well, I am well under way, so I guess I should start a thread of my tank
build.  Sump under construction.  Thanks Tyler (tcfab). Skimmer, Marco rock, sand, heater and purchased.  I have my rock placed, appreciate feedback, criticism, direction.  Thanks to those that already gave comments in the thread under introduce yourself.  I will use this thread from this point on.  Pics hopefully to follow.

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 6:49pm
boy that didn't go well.  I need some direction on posting pics
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 6:54pm
Great rock work. . question - did you does the magfloat fit between the rocks?? Just thinking about the time you have the clean the glass and then you can't because the liverock is in your way. 
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:03pm
Ya what sukie said, make sure you can clean the glass.... also make sure that your rockwork is stable enough so if something gets bumped either by a fish or you cleaning it... it doesn't all come tumbling down (really sucks when that happens and 2 hours to get everything back the way you want it...no fun)
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:11pm
You are correct, I hadn't thought about the cleaning part.  I finished right before I went to bed last night, and actually I wasn't sure if I totally liked it.  My wife emailed me at work today and told me she loves it , don't change a thing.  

I knew I had to put it out to ya'll, to get your feed back, so keep the coments coming.  I can easily adjust to get it away from the glass for cleaning.  I will check the stability, but I believe it should be ok.
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:16pm
Alright!!! It seems like its been a while since we have had a new build in the tank threads. You sure this is your first tank?? That rockscape looks really good! I love the look of the lonely little island in the middle of the tank. Like the others have said, make sure to leave enough space for your cleaner magnet to get by the rock. But what I would also do, and its just my opinion, I would bring the rocks even closer to the middle, away from the side panels of glass, so you can place corals on them also and still have space for fish to swim in front of them, and for you to clean. I think it would be more aesthetically appealing on the sides of the aquarium. Again, just my .02...

Are you planning on painting the back of the tank, or tint..?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:16pm
I love that marco rock its looks so sweet. How many pounds did you put in there? You probably should seed it with some already live rock also to reduce the cycle time and increase the bio filtration. Also i would get a couple cups of someones live sand to put in there as well.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:23pm
what kind of bulbs are you using?
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:37pm
I am using 8 T5's, icecap 660 ballasts.   I purchased 100 lbs.  I have used most of it.  I have 3 pcs. unused.  It was first recommended, then I was told not to, because I may be able to utilize the light from the window.  I have no clue.  Please, more comments on the paint/or not to paint issue.  Yes I was planning to seed with rock and sand if I can find a donor.  I am guessing upon completion of the seeding process the donor pieces can be returned, yes/no?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:45pm
I agree you can utilize light from the outside but with 8 t5s I dont think you will need to lol. Yeah once you tank has been up for a little bit with no problems you can return the donor pieces but i would get pieces you can leave in there so they continue to help. When you need some live sand and macro algae i can help. I dont have any extra rock though. I actually was looking into getting a little more myself how big are the pieces of marco you didnt use?
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:47pm
I can give you a little piece of rock out of my refugium. No need to return it. You could also take some sand too, if you wanted. 

I know Mark likes to utilize the sun from windows. Ive never done it myself, but I imagine your corals could benefit from it in ways. I think its definately personal preferance, but with 8 T5 bulbs you should have plenty of light. I like the look of a dark backround cause it gives contrast to all the colors of the coral and fish. Plus it will hide any wires that may need to run down the back of the tank
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 7:56pm
The tank is at the stage I probably couldn't move it.  Spray, or roll the paint?  I tend to agree with you on the contrast suggestion, and the option of having a way to hide cords, but I want do what is best, not necessarily what I want.
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 8:33pm
I would not paint it. If you want a black background just get some background material from the fishstore, or even just walmart posterboard and tape it to the outside of the back of the tank. That way if you want to change color, or even if you just change your mind and decide you dont want a background, you can.
Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

I would not paint it. If you want a black background just get some background material from the fishstore, or even just walmart posterboard and tape it to the outside of the back of the tank. That way if you want to change color, or even if you just change your mind and decide you dont want a background, you can.

+1 on the poster board thats what I did I am not a big fan of painting tanks. There is not really a easy safe way to get it off if you ever change your mind.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 9:11pm
Looks very nice =)
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 9:20pm
Man, I really like the looks of that marco rock. I agree with your wife and would leave it alone. Well other than checking magfloat clearance. Be picky on the sand and live rock you choose to add. Make sure it has alot of coraline, and no pests! Also were you able to do a fresh water test run to check your plumbing for leaks? Thats usually a good idea in the beginnning. Good luck with everything. Looks great.
Life is good....right?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 10:49pm
The only thing i would change about the aquascape is the front right rock formation. I would take that out so that it leaves the smaller rock as an island. Otherwise it's a helluva job for your first go at it.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:39pm
Love the rockwork!! It's awesome! As everyone said make sure you can clean all the sides or it will get annoying:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:47pm
Will the sand and rock that I seed the tank actually go in the tank or in the sump?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 12:05am
Originally posted by phinfan phinfan wrote:

Will the sand and rock that I seed the tank actually go in the tank or in the sump?

The sand should be placed like in a pocket of your sand in the tank to help generate life. The rock you can put in the sump or the tank:) You can do that with the sand too I think but it probably works better if it is put in the sand.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
  Share Topic