Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm stupid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm stupid
    Posted: January 15 2011 at 11:48am
So I'm stupid and need help. I should have posted this on the emergency but I didn't recognize the problem yesterday BEFORE I went to work. So here is the story. I have this 12 gallon nano, bow front, acrylic. It was doing great. Parameters were perfect so I wanted to show it off with some pictures. When I started taking some I realized there was a bunch of algae on the front. I used my mag but didn't get the hard stuff off. So I reached for my sponge I've used many times in the past but it wasn't under the tank, it was in the sink. Nope not the point I was stupid. I got a new sponge, rinsed it several times in the sink. Then started cleaning the front. My old sponge must have been a different brand or something. Any way I get the front clean both inside and out. the water was a bit cloudy so I thought when I get home from work I'll take pics. I get home after an 8 hour shift and my frog spawn is basically a stick with stringy melty stuff on top. My zoos were falling, kenya tree laying down, my monti caps looked more like camouflage (whitish with some splotchy color). I quickly mix up some water but before I change the water I dump it in a very small tank with a power head and move all the coral out. Most of the snails were shriveled up I saved two crabs and my unknown damsel was dead.
So now what? Do I take every thing out rinse and start over? Change all the water but leave the sand and rock? and what about the coral in the mean time, give it to someone who knows how to nurse them back to health or toss them?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 12:17pm
CRAP!

Have you removed all the livestock to another tank?  That is likley the first thing I would do.  Secondly, remove all the water you possibly can.  Then replace with fresh SW.  Remember: "the solution to pollution is dilution".  Add some carbon if possible, and get the tank running again.  I would not dispose of the LR or sand, but instead use frequent water changes over the next few weeks to further dilute whatever contaminant you have introduced.

Slowly add some of your livestock that did not perish and enjoy buying some new stuff.

Good luck!

Edited by Shane H - January 15 2011 at 12:18pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 12:34pm
Here is what is left

40 gal w/ 20 sump
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 12:35pm
So dilute dilute dilute. How long should I wait until I put some of this stuff back in?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 1:06pm
Did any of it really survive?

You're getting a lot of die off so you'll want to watch your nitrates and ammonias in that little temp tank, so the faster you can get them back into your tank the better. Do you have another tank they could go into?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 1:32pm
I would be glad to give you a small Green Sinularia to put in the tank to see if the soap/cleaner is diluted enough for the rest of the coral to go back in.

I can also give you some algae for both tanks to absorb the pollution so you don't have to mess with so many water changes in either tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 1:33pm
What brand and type of sponge was this?
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 9:24pm
I'm at work right now and don't have the sponge infront of me but I believe it was a scotch bright brand. the kind that's yellow on one side and the really abrassive green on the other. I never use the abrassive side on my acrylic tank. As for the algae Mark, it looks like my chaeto and the mangrove is doing alright. I'll keep checking the nitrates in the smaller one, thanks for reminding me of that. If anything does really survive I'll let everyone know.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2011 at 9:28pm
So sorry.Cry  I hope some things pull through.  
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 3:05pm
I've never used a sponge. I'm curious as to what benefit this sponge is to cleaning the inside viewing surfaces?
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 3:37pm
it's softer against the acrylic when the magnetic scraper can't remove the coraline.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:05pm
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is safe and you won't have to worry about this happening again. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
salt king View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salt king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:24pm
Shane my name is Rich I live just over the Mtn "Hyrum". I am getting back into the hobby after a 6 year break dew to cancer fealing good now just set up a 90 gallon 5 weeks ago. Im looking for other reefers to trade talk with ect..
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:24pm
Just get the "original" magic eraser.  I tried one and it worked so well I bought a couple boxes so I'd have them on hand.  You could probably use a single magic eraser on a tank that size for weeks, and a box of 4 was like $3.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:51pm
The "original" doesn't have any chemicals or anything like that? thank you very much. I'll get some as soon as I can. I'm still shocked it happend. Like I said before I've used these many many times in the past with no ill effects.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 4:58pm
Yeah - the original is chemicle free.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 8:15pm
That's why I asked, wondering if you knew about the Magic Sponge.
You didn't notice and we didn't talk about it when you were here, but I use a metal blade scraper on my acrylic tank. When the blade is straight and free of nicks it very easily cleans off hard algae and leaves no scratches when used carefully and not pressed to hard.

Years ago, an old friend in the hobby had a big problem with his tank. Come to find out, his mother in law had been over to help clean house and had used his dedicated "aquarium use only" bucket. Ouch Ever since, I always take a sniff of anything when I am not sure of where it's been.

Welcome Rich
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 8:33pm
Mark,
I need to find a day where I'm not expected anywhere so we can really talk. I enjoyed seeing your tanks and even more appreciate the advice.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2011 at 10:01pm
Thumbs Up call anytime
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 10:45pm
Not a complete loss of life. I got these guys coming back.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic