Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

acan feeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acan feeding
    Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:48pm

how often is it safe to spot feed an acan?

It's not about what you know but about who you know
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:55pm
You could do it every day if you wanted. The more you feed them the faster they'll grow.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:58pm
i was thinking of feeding everyday for the next two months or so to see how much i can get it to grow
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 7:27am
Just make sure your water parameters don't get bad......
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 1:21pm
I used to feed mine 2 - 3 times per week, but finally got tired of it...too many mouths to feed.  I haven't spot few them for about 4 months and they're still growing at about the same rate they were when I was feeding them.  They feed on bacteria and fish crap now.

Edited by jcom - January 18 2011 at 1:21pm
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 2:05pm
I agree with jcon, I have 10 or so, so never feed mine and I get a couple of new heads every month on each.
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 2:07pm
i only have 4 heads so i gues i will try it and see how many heads more i can get
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 5:48pm
yea if you have the patience to do it, go for it. I lost motivation too...hopefully my blended homemade food gets around to my corals.
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Tresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Connie Connie wrote:

I agree with jcon, I have 10 or so, so never feed mine and I get a couple of new heads every month on each.
But you don't know what you are doing..... you are just lucky Wink
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 9:27pm
In  my experience they grow twice as fast if fed 2 times a week. My favoriteto feed  is small krill.  I started with 3 heads 2 years ago and I now have over 100. It is the size of a softball!

90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2011 at 5:52pm
I feed my tank phyto feast twice a week. I shut off the return pump and let it sit in the water column for an hour with my powerheads on . My Acans and Maxima look great

Edited by Ahanix - March 03 2011 at 5:54pm
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 2:00pm
Here are a few small ones im working on feeding to increase growth.
My favorite below

So I bought this at Reef Kingdom 2 years ago. It had 3 heads.  I fed it when it was smaller. But Now I dont. I estimate it as having 100 plus heads. 

Edited by Roy - March 08 2011 at 2:07pm

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 9:43pm
Very cool do you have a pic of that colony with normal lights on?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 3:32pm
Yup

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 5:27pm
Very cool!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2011 at 5:46pm
My experience was that the Acans grew much faster when being fed.

I talked to Eric Borneman about acans about 18 months ago. All of mine were developing pink skeletons and starting to die.

I learned two critical things at that point.

1) Watch your Magnesium with acans. They love it! Mine had dropped below 900 and was the cause of my problems.

2) Acans eat a TON in the wild.

Eric was telling me that they eat constantly in wild and suggested we give the same treatment in our tanks. Therefore I spot fed mine 2-3 times a week. It does get tiresome but my growth exploded at that point!

I thought it might be the raised magnesium but tested that out by not feeding for a couple months. Sure enough, growth slowed down. When I started feeding again, growth probably doubled.

I had a little 4 head colony turn into about 15 within a month.

Edited by Ryan Thompson - March 09 2011 at 5:48pm
Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 1:42pm
I know this is an old post, but I have to say reading this and trying some of the suggestions have already helped my new addition a ton!   When I first got the Acan it seemed to not be doing to well.  After a day or two in my tank it started to open up.  So I took full advantage and started to spot feed.  I have only done this for a few days and can already notice a huge difference in the way it looks!!  It is fat and happy right now!

My Favia only seems to extend its tentecales when all of the lights are off, including the moonlights.  So this morning I got up turned off everything waited for a little while then spot fed him also. 
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 4:31pm
Jared,
 I am glad you bumped this because it made me think hmmm I need to spot feed my acans Wink. Right now I think Acans are my favorite Thumbs Up.
 This was a good read.
 Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

Quickness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quickness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2011 at 4:49pm
It's been awesome learning and watching this piece come back.   Have another one that I got from the same person that I'm trying to bring back also. He is just a little 2 head piece. But I think he will do great as soon as he starts extending out for me.

Been able to spot feed all my coral so far. Candy canes, favia, enchinata, frogspawn, hammer, and my acans. The frogspawn and hammer don't seem to like it as much
Molon Labe
Si vis pacem, para bellum
kyser-soza View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyser-soza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2011 at 11:59pm
what do i feed them ? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic