Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coral explosion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dbboy17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbboy17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coral explosion
    Posted: January 19 2011 at 2:28pm

Ok so I added a stalk of colt coral and a frag of some blue snowflake polyps and now a year later and they have spread out like weeds.  When I added them I was just starting a few pieces and was just happy to see them spread around since I didn't have anything else in there.  Now however, I am wanting to add some variety to my tank but have the issue of space and managing the current situation. 

So one question is what is the best way to trim down the current population?  Second question is how do most of you manage your corals from spreading around to places you don't want them to and what do you do if that happens?   
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 5:54pm
Thats the nature of the beast things spread.. If you dont want them just cut them out. I think most corals will be more aggressive than the snowflake polyps and they look way better than just a bare spot on the rock but i think you could just glue stuff over the top of those. The colt coral likes to grow back after you cut it out but you can put a dab of superglue over the place it was. Problem solvedWink
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 11:48am
I would love to see a pic of the tank.
I love Colt Coral.
Does yours look like this where the Tomato Clown is sitting?
If so, I would love to get some.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 20 2011 at 5:48pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2011 at 1:22pm
One suggestion is frag and post.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
dbboy17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbboy17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2011 at 3:30pm
I
Well here is a pic of a few months ago and the pieces are bigger than that.  As you can see the blue coral has covered a few of the rock pieces.  Mark how is the blue frag that I gave you doing?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 10:32am
Thanks for asking. When the Anthellia/Blue Snowflake coral first went in and for a good month the RBTA closed up and would not come out. I ran AC and the RBTA started to come back out but it took another month or two. The Anthellia has not grown much. I think the RBTA is keeping it at bay with it's aleopathic/territorial chemicals.

Your "Colt Coral" looks to me like Sinularia/Finger Leather, though if it is fragging/spreading on it's own it's definitely Capnella/Kenya Tree. When Capnella is bumped or bothered it pulls it's polyps in so they look like a bunch of tiny pine cones.  Sinularia polyps become bumps on the stalk. Which do you think your isQuestion

Just an observation, the tank may need more snails and less feeding. I see some algae growth that the Tangs and Rabbitfish are not cleaning up because they may be too well fed. Insufficient snails is allowing algae to grow to a point where a hair algae bloom will happen if not controlled now with more snails and a few hermits. The sand could also use a sand sifting Cucumber. Smile
vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 8:09pm

Maybe my opnion isn't what you want to hear.  I would recommend leaving the coral until you are ready to put soemthing else there.  At that time you can decide whether to sell the whole rock it's on, frag, or clear off a space for the new item you want.

I have an olive-colored button polyp that has turned into 5 different baseball-softball sized colonies.  Colorwise it's just OK, but I can easily say I like it more than bare LR.  My understanding is that soft corals like this also help in nutrient export, so I take their flourishing as a big positive.  I even let my Kenya Tree go wild until I want that space, then I just pull and toss it (everyone has some to give away).

Another thought is to move stuff to different areas of the tank.  By moving some of a coral that is predominantly in one area you can create a more balanced viewing experience.

And lastly - if things just get too crowded, you may have to do what everyone else does... add another tank. LOL
dbboy17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbboy17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:43pm
Here are some updated pics of the tank and as you can see the corals have moved on.  If I do take off the kenya tree or try to pull it won't it just start growing back.  Don't get me wrong I do like the fact that everything is growing and I think I am ready to start some variety of corals but need to figure out the best way to manage the pieces I have. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:15pm
Oh my! Shocked

It's not good for one coral species to be more than 20% of the coral in a tank. It can cause problems. I looked at the photos enlarged and see that Capnella/Kenya Tree is indeed what you have there.

I'll be frank. Basically you have two weed corals growing in that tank. I would not add any other coral without first removing most of the Anthellia/Blue Snowflake. There may be people here that would like some of it, but they need to be aware that it must be carefully controlled. The easiest control would be to keep it on a lone rock on the sand. You might also trade it to the LFS straight across for other LR.

The Capnella can be cut off and flushed/thrown out. Brushing the rock with a toothbrush will clean it off so that it has a hard time growing back. Any stray branches should be thrown out before they attach.

It's crazy that I'm advising you to flush it! Wacko In 1995 when we knew nothing of coral propagation and still had a little trouble keeping any coral, I would have died for a tank like yours. So you really are doing okay, maybe just a little too okay. Smile
dbboy17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbboy17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:25pm

That seems to be the constant struggle in this hobby.  I work to finally get my tank where I want it to be and then by the time I'm ready something else is there that needs to be fixed.  I appreciate the advise and will have to ask a few LFS if they are willing to trade. 

vadryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vadryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 10:33pm
If I was closer I'd gladly trade you for some of that blue coral.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 1:40am
wow that's insane I have had some of those snowflakes in my tank for about 3 months and mine haven't grown even a few inches off the original rock they were on.
Riverton_Ten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riverton_Ten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 5:39pm
I'd trade you another chunk of LR straight across for a chunk of that blue rock.  I'm not a LFS, but I'd bet I'm not the only one wanting a piece.  Let me know what you think of that idea.
dbboy17 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbboy17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 11:09pm

The snowflake didnt take off right away and at one point was dying off but make sure you watch it as it will spread. 

I wouldn't mind trading a few pieces for some live rock and a frag or two as I think that I'm ready to expand. 
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2011 at 11:52pm
Oh wow! I'd sell some of those blue clove ployps you have there. I see them in the stores for a pretty penny for like a 1x1 inch square! You could even probably easily trade straight across for some rock that is bare.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2011 at 10:58pm
I personally think the blue snowflakes are beautiful! I think it is personal preference. I don't really think it's fair to call them weeds.. some people love the weed coral and I think that they are great for people who are especially new in the hobby. To see something grow like that is exciting and just make the person want more.
 Trent your more then welcome to come over and we can get you started with some neat corals.
 Pam
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:12am
Originally posted by ptronsp ptronsp wrote:

I don't really think it's fair to call them weeds..
I'm an old coral farmer. Don't get me wrong, weeds can be very beautiful, but they are still weeds in some tanks. When we were brand new hobbyists, we all thought that Aiptasia coming out of a rock was so so cool. LOL
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 11:55am
A weed is just something growing you can't control the growth or spread. I've seen some very pretty "weed" gardens.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic