Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90g Build (formerly Sukie's)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90g Build (formerly Sukie's)
    Posted: January 21 2011 at 5:21pm
On Tuesday I bought Sukie's 90g setup and have since been putting a lot of time into trying to recreate some of the awesomeness I have seen her come up with.  I got the tank, stand and canopy from her; the sump and sand from my friend Brendan; and I ordered my light setup from hellolights while grabbing the ballasts from a guy in SLC.  I have pictures but i need to shrink them so I can put them on here.

I've done the plumbing, mixed water, etc and am just about to get the water flowing between the tank and sump.

I am getting live rock/sand and a skimmer tonight from PJGravis at which point I will get this bad boy running!

Moving back to Utah soon, and starting a new tank or three!
sukie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sukie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2011 at 3:04am
Cry I will have to say. . that I was very sad to see this setup go, even though it was sitting in my garage gather dust.  I was really attached to it.

But I'm super glad it went to another responsible reefkeeper who's going to make better use of it.Clap

Can't wait to see pictures!!!
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 8:23pm
Hopefully I will have time to shrink some pics soon...but in the meantime, lights question.  I have 2 magnetic ballasts all wired up to a mogul base socket and I am using Coralvue 14K 175W and they aren't working.  The ballasts are getting warm/hot so I know juice is getting into them just fine but the bulbs aren't even thinking about starting up.

I remember when I bought the bulbs it said something like "Operate on a probe start ballast" so does that mean if my ballasts are pulse start then it won't work?  Ugh, I swear on tank setups if it isn't one thing it's another.  But still, totally worth it once this is all figured out.
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 8:45pm
Figured out my ballasts are M57's which are probe start so I should be fine...  This is flusterpating.  Com and Lamp wires connected to the lamp mogul base, 120V and Com attached to plug.  Hmmm.  I feel like sherlock holmes, except I am at the part of the book where I am losing. Lol.
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 9:05pm
Mwa ha ha.  Sherlock Holmes wins the day!  We have lights.  One last plumbing issue and hopefully we'll be running.
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 10:15pm
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 10:17pm
Top picture shows a problem I am trying to overcome and don't know how to at this point.  The left side is the drilled overflow hole and if you can tell there are 2 little cracks around where it was drilled.  I put in the bulkhead and it leaks because of these two chips around the hole.  How do I repair this so I can make it work?

The other two are the only pics I had on my phone of where I am at in the process.  I like the dark with the lights on. :)
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 1:46am
Silicone around the bulk head should do the trick
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 7:35am
why are you using 175w halides for a 90g?
The light will really get low torward the bottom of the tank
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 10:46am

You could also try plumbers putty around the bulkhead to overcome the chips.

BTW - I think 175w MH are perfect for that tank.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 10:53am
2x175w are more than enough for this tank, awesome tank. cant wait for new picturesSmile
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

why are you using 175w halides for a 90g?The light will really get low torward the bottom of the tank

I had a 90 gallon with 175 watt lights and it did great! Grew sps all the way on the bottom. I think he will be fine!
Lowry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lowry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 5:26pm
Yeah, I thought about going with 250 watts, but I felt good about it.  I am also running 2 PC at 65 watts each and will eventually add 2 more.  You'll see once I get around to shrinking all my pics to a size where I can post them on here.  I'm doing the fix around the overflow in a minute, so here's to good luck!
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 5:36pm
You dont need to shrink them just use photobucket.com. All you have to do is upload the pic copy the img link under the picture and inset it here in a post. Its free to use Big smile
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 8:34pm
I use 150's over my 90 gallon without a problem.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic