Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rinsing cheato

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rinsing cheato
    Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:43am
Does it hurt cheato to rinse it under the sink tap?
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 11:51am
Tap water yes. It will be better if you rinse it with your old saltwater when you do a water change.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 2:34pm
It's simpler to rinse it in the sink and if it's put back into good salt water soon after it will be fine. I'm curious why you would rinse it. What are you rinsing off? There is a lot of life living on the surfaces of algae.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 4:46pm
I understand the life that cheato has. So I'm a little hesitant to do that. My cheato has what I suspect some mild cyno. A stringy substance blowing in the current. Now keep in mind that I have no sump. So I keep cheato in the DT. I'm currently working on an in-tank refugium. I thought about a rinse of the cheato before installing this refugium.

Thoughts, suggestions, feelings??

Thanks!!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 5:10pm
You'll lose bugs but the chaeto should be fine.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 10:11pm
Losing the bugs will be counterproductive to the goal.

Every time a hobbyist tries to get rid of Cyanobacteria by removing it from the tank(siphoning it is what we most often hear of), it just comes back the next day.

There is a better way and it can help you keep the Cyano problem away for good. Please post a pic of the tank and/or describe it, including the current filtration.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic