Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium level???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justinstank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calcium level???
    Posted: January 23 2011 at 5:39pm
so i just got a new salt water fish tank and just have some live rock and a couple coral.  i am trying to get the balance of chemicals right.  the PH is at 8.2 ALK normal, Nitrite level is 0.1 and the Nitrate level is also at 0.1 Ammonia is at 0.25 and the calcium is my biggest question.  i have the test kit and it sais to mix calcium "A" then Calcium "B" until the water in the test tube is Pink, once pink, add Calcium C drops till it goes blue.  I have to add like almost 30 ML of drops before it turns Blue.  What does this mean?  i have read and tried to figure it out but not sure what is up.  What should i do?  does that mean that i have way low calcium levels or way high?  i bought the calcium liguid and added about 40 ML to my 45 gallon tank.  Is there such thing as putting too much calcium in my tank.???  i dont want to kill the live rock or coral. is that possible?  any suggestions on my overall situation?  this is my first tank and salt water experience and i want to do it right and make sure all the chemicals are balanced before i add fish.

Thanks
justin williams
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 5:44pm
What is the brand of test kit?.... and yes you can add too much calicum. But calcium and alk/ph go hand in hand so if one is high the other is low and vice versa. You won't kill the live rock, but you can kill the coral. What are you dosing for both calicum and alk?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 6:02pm
the test kit is the marine lab test kit and also i just have the calcium drops, what other chemicals should i get to help balance these? i was recomended the Reep Seachem PH and ALK. the alk was normal and the PH was 8.1, so if they are normal shouldnt my calcium be normal too? 
justin williams
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 6:04pm
If your tank is new, and your salinity level is correct.  You shouldn't have calcium levels that high. You shouldn't dose any additives yet, just do 15% waterchanges, either every week or every other week.  Do this untill there 0 ammonia testing.  You shouldn't have to dose any additives until there is something in your tank using it up.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 6:07pm
perfect!!! thank you so much! my Salt level is really good, so i will just keep adding %15 water to the tank until it gets to the proper levels is what your saying?  when can i add live coral and fish and what should i do first?  coral or fish?? 

Thanks 
justin williams
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 6:43pm
You probably know this, but they way you worded that I am not sure.  Don't add 15% more water, but do 15% water changes.  Make sure and top off evaporated water with fresh water or your salinity will get too high.  

It depends on what corals you are going to add, but generally fish first.  Most corals need added to an established tank (especially sps).
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by justinstank justinstank wrote:

i bought the calcium liguid and added about 40 ML to my 45 gallon tank.

As stated earlier do not add any suppliments yet. Did you add calcium liquid to the water? I'm kinda confused. Did you start with Live sand? If you started your tank with just live rock and added a calcium liquid right off the bat, it might just be easier to replace at least half of the water then wait a week and do another 50% water change, rather then trying to battle lowering your calcium because it probably is "off the charts". From the sounds of it this is a new tank with only live rock, water and a couple of coral, right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justinstank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 8:57pm
ya i have live sand and rock and added about 20 ml of liquid calcium to the water.  ooops, so should i remove half the water and refill the tank? and then do a 50% water change again in a week?  if i do the water change, would i need to add more salt i am assuming? sorry i am so new and know nothing lol lol :)
justin williams
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 9:16pm
I dont think your tank is cycled yet so I wouldn't worry about Ca yet.
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 10:18pm
Always remember
1. When doing a water change (actually taking water out of the tank and replacing it with new water) add salt. It is best to mix the salt and water in a seperate container, throw in an air stone for 24 hours before adding to the tank. I wouldn't recommend adding salt directly to the tank.
2. When adding water to replace what has evaporated do not add salt.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 10:24pm
You definately need to do more research before adding fish or coral to your tank.
Don't be shy about asking any questions, we all started new and you came to the right place to ask.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2011 at 10:37pm

Welcome to the group Justin.
The Calcium liquid was not needed but it probably won't hurt anything. (It's good it wasn't Alkalinity liquid. That could have been a disaster. Ouch) From what I can tell, with the many threads you have started, you want answers now.

It would be a good idea to ask us here before doing anything else to this tank. Water changes are a safe way to correct problems, but there are easier ways to maintain your aquarium without having to bother with frequent and/or large water changes.

It's a little late but I'm going to call you right now. I left a message and look forward to your call. My number is below in the signature line.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 23 2011 at 10:47pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic