Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nocatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new tank
    Posted: January 26 2011 at 4:16pm
Hi I am going to set up a 225 gal tank I would like to know if I should set it up with a refugium DSB or should I set it up with a plenum with a DSD?
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 4:23pm
Welcome, I wouldn't do either to be honest, just go 2" sand in the bottom and pick your poison as far as running GFO, or doing a standard fuge with some chaeto.

Thats what I would do anyways, waiting to hear others chime in on what they think.

Edited by Ahanix - January 26 2011 at 4:23pm
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2011 at 4:27pm
Refugium with DSB Thumbs Up
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 1:02pm
I run a Refugium with a DSB and GFO... What are you planning on keeping SPS, LPS, softies? I think that has a lot to do with it as well. I would use as big of sump and Refugium as you can.  Have fun!
120 gallon mix Reef mainly SPS and LPS...
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 3:53pm
Yes, all of that works. The plenum works the same as a sand bed and by using Oolitic sand the sand bed only needs to be 2" deep. That's not your typical DSB.
A plenum works but takes up a lot of extra space.

A Sump/Refugium is preferred, but not needed if flow is very good and there is good algae growth in the tank.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
nocatch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nocatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2011 at 4:24pm
thanks for the information
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic