Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1 Cubic Foot Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

Actually mark you are incorrect. All energy creates heat. A watt is a watt. The reason people think that PC and T5 don't produce as much heat as MH is because you can't "feel" it. When running a 150w halide you have 150w crammed in a tiny space. Get a T5 tube and make it 3-4 inches then cram 150w through it. Trust me it will get hot.

All energy creates heat. It just depends on how that heat is taken care of. I am not a scientist nor can I prove with formulas what I'm talking about but I've read more than enough threads and papers about the subject. There was a time when I believed like you that all watts weren't equal. A 50w heater will add just as much heat as a 50w internal pump.

Enough hijacking though of lurkerz thread. We can continue this elsewhere if you like.

Great tank Lurkerz! I hope to have mine set up within 60 days. Your light hanging idea has given me some ideas.

I agree we shouldn't hijack the thread here but come on we got to get this right...

Mark is absolutely correct.  A 50 watt pump won't heat the water anywhere near as much as a 50 watt heater.  That's crazy talk Ryan.  

The item uses 50 watts.... but it can dissipate that energy in many different forms.  It can be transfered into heat, light, sound, etc.  Some lights are very efficient and convert a lot of energy into light, with little given off as heat of sound.  Such as led.  Some give off less light but produce more heat.  Such as pc.  Some give off even less light and even more heat, such as incandescent.  And then there are some lights that are absolutely inefficient.  They give off nearly no light, but a lot of heat.  We call them heaters and we stick them in the sumps.  

When you spin a top on a table you give the top energy.  It eventually stops spinning because it has released it's energy.  Either into motion (transfered to the surrounding air), into heat, into sound, or into something.  Add up all that energy and it equals the energy you used to spin it.... regardless of how much energy was dissipated into each part.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 5:17pm
Adam that was my thought and argument as well.

One guy showed how even sound turns into heat though because of friction. But this is one of those debates that will never end. Just search google and see how many things pop up.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 6:08pm
Trust me on this.  Lots of subjects where I am lost.  Physics isn't one of them.  

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2011 at 6:11pm
I dont know why this turn into a debate. This guy is just trying to show off its 1 cubic feet aquarium which is pretty cool.
jacobse1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2011 at 11:07pm
Please keep updating the post. I'm starting a 1.5' x1.5' tank, as my first LED powered nano. Any pearls that you have are appreciated.

PS: Adam is absolutely correct.

125 g reef
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 12:43pm
Just wondering how this is going? Any updates? New pictures?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 12:50pm
Lurkerz -

How about any update?

We want to see more of this sweet setup ClapClapClap
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Lurkerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurkerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 8:04pm
Almost one year in I thought I'd post an update.
And this cool little hitch hiker that grew from nothing
Thorn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 8:35pm
Looks great!

Without raising the prior debate on watts/power, I'd like to know your experience with the PAR38 bulb.  Are you using the same one?  How did the coral react to it?  Would you use the same bulb again?
40 Gal. Breeder - 20 L refug/sump
Lurkerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurkerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2011 at 8:56pm
I am using the same bulb. The coral seems to really like it. I love the colors. and would buy it again for sure. 
meterman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2011 at 1:55pm
Just curious, what is your maintenance routine on this setup?   I don't see a skimmer or refugium in the pics, but I do see some macro.  Water type, changes?  Are you still just using the HOB and the power head for movement?  Do you run carbon or other media?
Alex
Lurkerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurkerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2011 at 7:24pm
Lurkerz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurkerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2011 at 8:44am
I do about a 2.5 gal water change every other week. Add a bit of buffer on the off week. the only filtration is the HOB it has carbon and phosban in it changed once a month. I top off about a pint daily. one thing the only fish in it is a small clown goby. It seems to be a pretty stable system so far. all corals have good growth. nothing real speedy but steady. The only thing that has suffered is Zoas they don't seem to like it much in there.

Edited by Lurkerz - December 11 2011 at 8:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic